Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ronald reagans funding cuts to mental health and the 200.000 homeless veterans

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jack, Jan 29, 2008.

1. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Remember the big 80's.....

Reagan came in and cut funding on social programs and in turn used those funds in the military industrial complex...
    with record massive deficts as a result of cutting cost on social programs..Like health care and spending it on the military........

For programs like SDI.

Psychic remote viewing to spy on russia...:confused:

Handheld nuclear hand grenades:eek:

And we got see the results in the late 80's as a homeless epidemic exploded across america....

Today in america did you know that the largest provider of mental health care is correctional facilities-jails/prisons.
    A person suffering from mental illness on the street will commit a petty crime to get imprisoned for a bed and food and healthcare.

Two hundred thousand U.S. Veterans are homeless on the streets of america...

Buy another I support the troops bumper sticker...

Cutting of public mental health services began with Reagan, first in California where he closed state-funded mental health facilities. As president he cut aid for federally-funded community-run mental health programs. The result: thousands of more homeless people in California and nationwide and a spike in the prison population. The New York Times recently reported that despite a rapid rise in the suicide rate in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the city has half of its psychiatrists, social workers and mental health care workers.

I remember when the policies of Ronald Reagan began impacting Minnesota. I had just sobered up during the final stages of shuttering the Minnesota State Hospital system. The people I knew who worked in government jobs, mainly social workers, and the counselors in the addiction field, complained loudly that the services for the people they helped were suddenly, and unceremoniously, cut.

Throughout my career as a chemical dependency counselor I have watched helplessly as people were thrown in jail and prison for behaviors associated with their mental illness and addiction. These people were not criminals. If they were treated for their mental illness, or their addictions, they would not commit the crimes that put them in jail. And usually, the amount of services, and time spent in the facilities now closed down, were shorter, and of less cost then the time, and costs, of jail.

Today, instead of the reduced costs of treatment and housing in the State Hospital systems, they are housed, and not treated, in a far more expensive prison system. So, after being "rehabilitated" in prison, they are released into a society they are not capable of navigating, resort to their old behaviors, and are returned to jail or prison. As a result, they are a more costly economic strain on society.

The Morning in America, described as bright and prosperous by Reagan in 1984 has become a dismal afternoon for the poor and powerless.

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +469 / 12 / -14

Of course we now know from Soviet Union recrods that SDI convinced Gorgy to quit the cold war which led to the fall of the Soviet Union.

Besides Reagan knew that morally superior people like you would volunteer to work in himeless shelters with all the displaced vets.

3. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Way to show your support for the troops patsfan13....

I remember you wielding that slogan like a sword in defense of bush and his wmd iraq war....

Revelations is not only in the bible patsfan 13....

You had a choice and you chose to support a politician.