Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ronald Reagan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gainzo, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

I swear I have heard/read his name mentioned more in the last 2 years than I did in the last 20. I can't recall his name being brought up much from 2000-2008.

Why is the right suddenly so infatuated with him? I know they always loved him but the last 2 years they have turned him into some kind of demigod.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Distance makes the heart grow fonder, and history is rewritten.. what they forget about is:

1. Two Massive Tax Hikes
    2. The beginning of the deficit problems
    3. Negotiating with the Iranians prior to being elected, and then there was grand theater
    4. The Iran Contra Scandal, in this day and age with the blogosphere he would have been impeached..

Ronald Raygun was a very good B actor, but in reality a lousy president.

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah. Right. I mean, there were hardly any articles about the man when he died in 2004. :rolleyes:

4. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

My lasting memories of Reagan are the war on drugs (fail) and the Iran-Contra affair (fail).

Anyone remember Black Monday in 1987?

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Somehow they forgot all the negatives.. there were many.

The right continues their ballwashing of nothing more than an actor, and conveniently forgot about all of his negatives which were abundant..

Maybe they will revise wikipedia.. that seems to be a new method, if history does not agree with their version rewrite it..

If there was an internet and the accompanying blogosphere, he would probably have been impeached for the Iran Contra Mess alone.. never mind negotiating with the Iranians prior to his election..

6. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Those articles went away after a couple of days. Do you have an opinion on why the right now thinks he was the best President ever?

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Guess you missed the Cold War and the end of the Carter recession.....:rolleyes:

People are nostalgic for his great leadership compared to the current situation.

8. Gainzo

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -2

#11 Jersey

Did you just bring up the Cold War? The USSR was falling apart in the late 70's and early 80's and you think Reagan was responsible for their downfall?

If Reagan was so into ending the Cold War why did he try to get the outer space missile defense system funded?

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I see no evidence that he is being praised by the right any more in the past 6 months, 1 year or 2 years than he has over the past 20. He has always been praised by the right. It's only the left who has finally come around to praising him. Heck, we've seen Obama openly aspire to be more like him.

Oh, sure we still see some close minded, angry and bitter hold outs who cling desperately to their warped notions that Reagan wasn't a great president. But obviously, this is a position that loses with the American public.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Your post shows you are tremendously ignorant about this subject. You should do some research. It's actually pretty interesting stuff.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Perhaps you are too young to remember the 'maliase' of the Carter years, in the late 70's the USSR was perceived to be the society of the future. Libs derided Reagan for thinking the USSR could be defeated, Reagan was right people like J Kerry and Kennedy were wrong.

BTW Star Wars convinced the USSR they couldn't compete it is in the archives released after the fall of the USSR.

back to sox yanks.

12. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +149 / 6 / -8

#51 Jersey

Carter was the one that put us into that deficit not Reagan. Carter was for BIG GOVERNMENT and that means less freedom for you. Reagan cut taxes, lowered unemployment, and cut down our deficit. Yes, he must of really been a horrible president since he allows every one to do what they needed to do and not tax the hell out of everyone. He gave small businesses the chance to grow. The reason for the economic boom in the 80's and 90's is because of Reagan. There is a documentary called "I want your money" watch it and you will learn a lot.

13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Great leadership or a great acting job????.. people fell in love with the personna, but if you look beyond the smoke and mirrors it is scary.

Reagan had little to do with the end of the cold war, Russia was falling on hard times and had to make a change.. it was coincidental, "Tear down this wall" was great theater though.

He should have been impeached for Iran Contra and negotiating withe Iranians before he was elected..

Personally am still waiting for the trickle down effect that he promised..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

When Reagan was POTUS, I was a young liberal, so I didn't like him, nor did I ever vote for him. But I couldn't hate the man. Even though I wasn't a supporter, it was clear he took the privelage of being elected president as an opportunity to show his love for his country. Although I didn't like him back then, I could always see his love for the people of his nation.

I used to think, "this guy thinks he's back in the 40's or 50's". And I believe he would have been loved by all if that was the case. But even my parents didn't like him even though they were close to his age...being the staunch democrats they've always been, I guess they would have seen that as treason to their party.

Today, I realize that no American should feel any obligation to any particular party and that one can not commit treason to their party. So if someone close to you switches parties, we should all be fine with it because that's what America is all about!

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I voted for Reagan in my first election. I did so because I was 18, free as a bird, ignorant, and happy to just vote. I had no clue what the world was about and had no time to research who Reagan was. I didn't vote in 1984 because I was on the road and didn't care that much.

Looking back, I was wrong about Reagan. He seemed like a nice guy, and he got along with Tip, who was an important guy in my life. Reagan was a hollow president who did what he was told, acted the part well, and failed miserably to achieve the goal that was most important to him- elimination of nuclear weapons. If he could speak today, I think that would be his biggest regret.

16. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who cares, he got results. People would say the same thing about Obama if he was capable of it.

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Name one modern day president who wasn't smoke & mirrors. Why do you think they hire a TEAM of image-makers?

The POTUS is all about image & perception. I had a boss who once suggested I work on my image to improve the perception others had of me.

I told him I am who I am and I like it that way. So I decided NOT to run for president at that very moment!

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ike......:rocker:

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Ike was a no-nonsense POTUS....I'd love to see a boring president again. Not a knock on Ike, but he didn't stir the masses. But he seemed honest & genuine from what I've read

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't get it....