Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ron Paul's weekly comments...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

A voice of sanity in an abyss of absolute stupidity.... a republican I agree with.

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2007/tst032607.htm

Last week the House passed an emergency supplemental spending bill that was the worst of all worlds. The president’s request would have already set a spending record, but the Democratic leadership packed 21 billion additional dollars of mostly pork barrel spending in attempt to win Democrat votes. The total burden on the American taxpayer for this bill alone will be an astonishing 124 billion dollars. Democrats promised to oppose the war by adding more money to fight the war than even the president requested.

I am pleased to have joined with the majority of my Republican colleagues to oppose this bill.

Among the pork added to attract votes was more than 200 million dollars to the dairy industry, 74 million for peanut farmers, and 25 million dollars for spinach farmers. Also, the bill included more than two billion dollars in unconstitutional foreign aid, including half a billion dollars for Lebanon and Eastern Europe.

What might be most disturbing, however, is the treatment of veterans in the bill. Playing politics with the funding of critical veterans medical and other assistance by adding it onto a controversial bill to attract votes strikes me as highly inappropriate. Veterans’ funding should be included in a properly structured, comprehensive appropriations bill. Better still, veterans spending should be automatically funded and not subject to yearly politicking and nit-picking.

While I have been opposed to the war in Iraq from the beginning and do believe that there is a strong constitutional role for Congress when it comes to war, I could not support what appeared to be micro-management of the war in this bill. There is a distinction between the legitimate oversight role of Congress and attempts to meddle in the details of how the war is to be fought. The withdrawal and readiness benchmarks in this bill are in my view inappropriate. That is why the president has threatened to veto this bill.

In the last Congress I co-sponsored legislation urging the president to come up with a plan to conclude our military activity in Iraq, but that legislation contained no date-specific deadlines to complete withdrawal.

Once again Congress wants to have it both ways. Back in 2002, Congress passed the authorization for the president to attack Iraq if and when he saw fit. By ignoring the Constitution, which clearly requires a declaration of war, Congress could wash its hands of responsibility after the war began going badly by citing the ambiguity of its authorization. This time, House leaders want to appear to be opposing the war by including problematic benchmarks, but they include language to allow the president to waive these if he sees fit.

To top it off, House leadership may have actually made war with Iran more likely. The bill originally contained language making it clear that the president would need congressional authorization before attacking Iran – as the Constitution requires. But this language was dropped after special interests demanded its removal. This move can reasonably be interpreted as de facto congressional authority for an attack on Iran. Let’s hope that does not happen.
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's because he's really a Libertarian.

It's absurd when you look at all the sh!t that our tax money actually goes to. I can make a list no longer than one item for each of my 10 fingers of things which tax money should actually be spent on.
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul is the man.

By the way, if any of you have free time, read about how income taxes were gradually added to the American infrastructure and way of life.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +376 / 1 / -9

He's a Republican that is also just like the Old Time Democrats that I used to vote for when I was a Democrat, this guy is not a "Hollywood Babbling Whacko Liberal Democrat" the thing that sets him aside from the dingobats is that he is a "Normal Sensible American", listen and watch him then listen and watch Kerry/Gore then you will understand why Bush won, twice.

These batty democrats in the next two years are going to go insane with the little bit of power they now have, they can't wait to start their "crazy left wing sh!t" and that is A Good Thing, because when 2008 rolls around the people will be so sick of them that GW Bush could get re-elected "AGAIN".
    :bricks:
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

He is a RINO, really a liberatarian.. maybe that is what many of us are.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Given that "most of us" here are liberals, "most of us" certainly are not Libertian. They would be on the social part but not on the spending/eliminating the income tax part :)

I"m fairly Libertarian but I am pro gun control, pro life and anti open borders which all put me at a 180 from the standard Libertarian position on those issues.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It's hard to be 100% anything. They are few and far between. Those who hold the values of their convictions are the ones I can respect.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What would help to keep good jobs in America is for the auto and ship-building industries to get their heads out of the sand and see what people are buying, what they want in cars and ships!!

If Honda, Toyota, and Nissan can build their plants in the U.S., and hire U.S. workers, why can't GM, Ford and Chrysler make better cars at competitive prices??!

//
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Largely because the foreign car manufacturers aren't saddled with the unions that the domestics are. Remember that article from a year or two ago about how GM pays almost 100,000 people good money (I mean GOOD money) to read the newspaper all day because of union crap ?
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

Google GM and Union and see what comes up. #$%%ing! sad.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You read those articles and wonder why people get upset when manufacturing jobs move overseas. Um . . . DUH.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

#1 - This is why both parties suck, and why party always wins over principle in Washington. So much for "fiscally conservative Dems" being elected and being principled. In order to defund the war, or stop it, they''ve baught votes with $20 Billion+ in taxpayer funded pork. Woohoo, the Dems are better. :rolleyes: Looks like nothing really changed in November.

#2 - Earmarks and crap like this were supposed to be a thing of the past for the "new" congress. :rolleyes: Nothing like buying votes by politicizing our veterans. You know what that bill does right? It lets people say this in a future election "He/she voted against funding our disabled veterans even after they were on TV living in fecies" or "He/she voted against a bill that would have provided funding for the troops". It's why you really need to do your homework when election time rolls around, but most moron voters don't, which is why labelling works.

#3 - Did Paul vote against the authorization? Regardless, accountability for your vote is what he's saying, I love it.

#4 Hmmm....why did they remove the provision regarding Iran? Could it be because the Dems probably want GW to invade Iran, and guarantee a massive Dem romp in 2008? Nah....
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Why are you against aid to farmers and foreign aid? Have you investigated the farmer's plight and found that there isn't one, that our food supply is a-okay? Do you think 2 billion dollars in foreign aid is a lot in light of the 100 billion or so we spend per year in Iraq? Couldn't it be a sound investment?

He's complaining about DC politics. By including a popular provision in a bill the Republicans don't like, the Dems force the Republicans on record as opposing aid to veterans. I don't see how he can hope to change that. I mean, he's a politician too. He pushed for term limits and then broke his own vow to run for more than 2 terms.

So he's basically backing the President and opposing a compromise reached by the anti-war people. Ron may say he's against the war, but here he's clearly siding with the pro-war people. Again, he's playing politics, and playing both sides of the issue.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

How about aid to software engineers ? I'll take some please. If farmers can't support themselves then they should change something - either their efficiency or their profession, just like I would if I couldn't support myself as a software engineer.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't know if the aid is true pork barrel or not, but I do know that farms, like railroads, are one one of things that are regarded as essential to security and sovereignty. I also think farming is a tradition we need to keep alive and encourage. (How's that for an old-fashioned conservative view? :)) At any rate, the economics of farming is a complex subject, so to dismiss aid as pork barrel I think greatly oversimplifies the issue.

Consider this: When it's a good year for crops, the price and profit drop. So what should a farmer do? Aim for a bad year? It's especially difficult for small farmers.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

Exactly. Gm has to close plants, but still has to pay workers to play cards for X amount of time because it can't fire or lay people off. On top of that, it has to pay lifetime benefits to retired employees. This isn't to say that GM is saintly, and that corporations are angels of any kind. I'm merely trying to point out how two sided (double edged?) the sword is.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's certainly a non-competitive way of doing things in a world economy. Anyone who still thinks the U.S. will ever again be able to exist as a "closed system" economy ... well, it's never going to be that way again. Those days are gone for good. From now on we are in competition with China, India, and the rest of the world, like it or not. If both management and the unions don't soon wake up and smell the Starbucks, they'll be playing cards and drawing golden parachutes with Monopoly money as their reward -- if Parker Bros. is still in business.

//
  18. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Paying the farmers makes sense. Every other country in the world uses either subsidies and/or tariffs to protect their local farmers.

What I would pay a couple of dollars extra on my taxes for, however, would be for the farmers we subsidize to grow tomatoes and other veggies that actually taste like tomatoes or whatever the fruit or veggie is supposed to be. These tasteless "long shelf life" produce we are subsidizing pretty much stink.

//
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

The irony of the whole thing is the Democrats are the pro union types and they're also the ones that cry about jobs going overseas . . . they don't seem to notice that the two issues are related and the sides they're on for the two are basically irreconcilable.
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I guarantee the irony is not lost on the Chinese and others. The Pacific Rim countries are just starting their economic ascent. If the U.S. doesn't wake up soon, we'll be filling out job applications written in Chinese, Japanese, or some other language. Ustay hablay Espanol??

//