Past winners are:

RB Kevin Faulk (2009)
LB Larry Izzo (2008)
DL Ty Warren (2007)
DL Jarvis Green (2006)
OL Matt Light (2005)
WR Troy Brown (2004)
OL Joe Andruzzi (2003)

The award is named in honor of the late Ron Burton, the first player drafted by the team and a player who was known for his widespread charitable work.

Not specifically football related, but an awful lot of Patriots are very involved in charity and giving back, and they deserve recognition of that.

Pure speculation but I can see them giving it to the face of the franchise in Brady this year, for a few reasons. One, obviously the guy is rather involved in charity. But I also think the team is trying to highlight his leadership skills and set him as an example for the young guys to follow. Charity & community involvement is part of that package. Of course, they did just give him the Ed Block award, so maybe they wouldn't follow that up so soon.

Vince Wilfork seems to get involved in a lot of charity work every year and he has not won this award previously.

It's really hard to say who might receive the award because from what I have read, the vast majority of charity work done by the Patriots goes unnoticed by the media (and therefore also by us, the fans.)

Good call - Big Vince would be an excellent choice, and would have the same practical effects as I mentioned with Brady. I think having it be a central player on the team would be a good thing this year, coming off a season where the team's character and leadership was questioned.

Some commentary on Wilfork's award:

It Is What It Is Wilfork wins 2010 Ron Burton Community Service Award

“Since joining the Patriots in 2004, Vince has been generous both with his time and his infectious smile,” said Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft. “He has been a willing participant in community activities conducted by the Patriots Charitable Foundation and has done incredible work raising money for diabetes research through the Vince Wilfork Foundation.”

Wilfork, who lost his father to diabetes, has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for diabetes-related causes. His annual draft-day fundraiser, a bowling event he has held for seven years, is one of the signature fundraising events held by a pro athlete in New England. He is also a strong supporter of charities that promote education and health for children, participating in multiple events related to children’s mentoring, education and physical fitness.

Wilfork is the eighth Patriots player to be selected as the Ron Burton Award winner, joining past honorees Joe Andruzzi (2003), Troy Brown (2004), Matt Light (2005), Jarvis Green (2006), Ty Warren (2007), Larry Izzo (2008) and Kevin Faulk (2009).

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive An emotional Patriots NT Vince Wilfork wins the Ron Burton Community Service Award

Standing at the dais accepting the Ron Burton Community Service Award, Patriots NT Vince Wilfork struggled to compose himself. He paused, he tried to continue, he paused again, the tears welled up in his eyes.

From those who were there, it was a scene they won’t forget. Afterward, the man who spends so much time fundraising for diabetes research discussed why it meant so much to him. Wilfork did, after all, lose his father to the disease.

“It’s the only way you can give back,” Wilfork said afterward, when he composed himself. “The first thing I thought about was my parents. How proud they would be of me. It was like I was looking right at them in the crowd. So, that was why it was so hard for my to talk. We all do things not expecting to get things in return. There’s a bunch of guys on this team that deserve this award. I’m just happy to get it this year. Everybody does a lot of things in the community for the Patriots or for themselves or whatever it may be. It’s not just me. It’s everybody. I’m going to accept the award on all our behalf.”

wilfork-speech.jpg

Good choice...

Great choice ... well deserved Vince.

I have a great deal of respect for people who give back... great for Vince:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back