PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ron Brace hypothetical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting 40 yard dash times for a DT/NT is a sign of a world gone mad

perhaps you missed this a couple of dozen posts back? :)

And lest anybody be tempted by "but who asks a DL to run 40 yards?"...check out his 10-yard split.

20 DTs were invited to the combine. The other 19 clocked their first 10 yards between 1.62-1.78; Brace ran a 1.88.

perhaps you missed this a couple of dozen posts back? :)

I seen that.

You weren't the only one pimping the 40 yard time as relevant in the first place however.

I don't even see how the 10 yard dash is particularly relevant...unless its a 10 yard dash with an equally large gentleman trying to push him 10 yards the other way.

I can see us using a lot more 4-3 sets, but I don't think Wilfork would be in on those sets. I could see us having Crable, Taylor/Peppers (if we acquire either) whoever is our best Pass rusher at one end and Seymour/Warren, Brace in the middle. Mayo Thomas and Woods would probably be our LB's. Could you imagine if we made a deal with the Ravens to acquire Suggs (Two seconds and Green). Then we signed Taylor. We would then have Taylor and Suggs at DE. Seymour/warren and Brace at DT. Mayo Thomas and Woods at LB. Bodden and Springs/Butler at CB and Merriweather and Chung/Sanders at S. Then in our Base 3-4, We could go with our standard front 3 (Seymour, Wilfork/Brace, Warren), Suggs and Taylor on the Outside and Thomas Mayo on the inside, same secondary as above.

I could see us playing a variety of different sets, depending on what the personnel could do:

1. Base 3-4 with Seymour-Wilfork-Warren starting, and Green-Brace-Wright (and LeKevin Smith) as backups.

2. "Big" 4-3 with Seymour-Wilfork-Brace-Warren. Very hard to run against. Sort of like the Baltimore 2000 defense with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

3. "Pass rushing" 4-3 with Seymour and Warren inside and some speed ends outside (Crable, Thomas, or Jason Taylor if we get him).

4. Hybrid 4-3 with one of Seymour/Warren and one of Wilfork/Brace inside, with one big 3-4 DE and one speed rusher outside.

5. 3-4 variant with one of Wilfork or Brace moved outside to DE, and the other DE freed up to be more of a pass rusher.

I think that BB could do a lot throwing a variety of looks from the DL. And that's not even counting what he does with the LB and secondary schemes.

I think that with LeKevin Smith performing well last year and the addition of Brace, that Jarvis Green is definitely potential trade material. I'd love Green + 2 2nds for Suggs, but it's not going to happen. Karlos Dansby might be another option there, and he could play both inside and out. We could have Dansby and Thomas at OLB with Guyton and Mayo inside, and then move one of Dansby/Thomas in to SILB and have Crable/Redd/Woods outside. Lot of flexibility there. With all of Arizona's well documented contract headaches, perhaps they would be more inclined to listen to offers than Baltimore would, even though they are reportedly working on signing Dansby to a long term deal.

He was the slowest of all the defensive tackles (5.52 40 yard dash).

Belichick picked him so Brady would have someone to beat in the sprints.

I could see us playing a variety of different sets, depending on what the personnel could do:

1. Base 3-4 with Seymour-Wilfork-Warren starting, and Green-Brace-Wright (and LeKevin Smith) as backups.

2. "Big" 4-3 with Seymour-Wilfork-Brace-Warren. Very hard to run against. Sort of like the Baltimore 2000 defense with Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

3. "Pass rushing" 4-3 with Seymour and Warren inside and some speed ends outside (Crable, Thomas, or Jason Taylor if we get him).

4. Hybrid 4-3 with one of Seymour/Warren and one of Wilfork/Brace inside, with one big 3-4 DE and one speed rusher outside.

5. 3-4 variant with one of Wilfork or Brace moved outside to DE, and the other DE freed up to be more of a pass rusher.

I think that BB could do a lot throwing a variety of looks from the DL. And that's not even counting what he does with the LB and secondary schemes.

I think that with LeKevin Smith performing well last year and the addition of Brace, that Jarvis Green is definitely potential trade material. I'd love Green + 2 2nds for Suggs, but it's not going to happen. Karlos Dansby might be another option there, and he could play both inside and out. We could have Dansby and Thomas at OLB with Guyton and Mayo inside, and then move one of Dansby/Thomas in to SILB and have Crable/Redd/Woods outside. Lot of flexibility there. With all of Arizona's well documented contract headaches, perhaps they would be more inclined to listen to offers than Baltimore would, even though they are reportedly working on signing Dansby to a long term deal.

Dansby could be the best option because of the versatility he brings. I threw in the Suggs Idea because Ive heard the 49'ers possibly being interested in him and Peppers as possible OLB for their new 3-4, (I believe they have 2 first) so He could be an option if we up the offer a little bit. Watson? Maroney? I think after franchising Suggs twice if they dont get a deal done before Camp he will probably be a free agent in 2010. I think we have alot of flexibility with all of our FA coming up and our 2010 draft picks. BB can probably get anybody he wants but the question is if he likes the team we have now. I have a hunch he brings in at least one High profile LB between now and the End of Training camp.

He's the backup NT, or future NT. End I doubt it, they have'nt had great success jumping in and out of the 43, so maybe he is a better option to play the under technique in that D. They have been limited in that front, but if they could get another clogger in the middle they might have more success and flexibility for when the injuries start coming. I am very excited to see him in this defense, he could be the steal of this draft.

I don't even see how the 10 yard dash is particularly relevant

Really? It's routinely said that VJ and 10-yd-splits are the best measures of power/explosiveness off the line, which are tremendously relevant when you're talking about a move out to DE.

This isn't nearly relevant but kind of funny:

I lived next door to Brace as freshmen at BC. I only saw him rarely though, and it would always be at night when he was walking around the bathroom wearing only a towel and brushing his teeth.

I'm 5'6'', 155. Rudy-sized for flag football. And there I was, brushing teeth next to a future NFL NT. Talk about feeling small.

for now hes just wilfork back up but a would love to see them mix in the 4-3 a lot more this yer one of the young LB may step up but right now i dont think we have 4 good LB but i think we can come up with 3 great LB will thats my 2 cents :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back