PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ron Brace at LDE for AM walkthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.
sign me up as someone who thinks he's a complete idiot. Check out his tweets. He and his doctor suess quotes. I have zero faith in this guy. He and Maroney can go away and it would make this fan kind of happy.

sign me up as someone who thinks he's a complete idiot. Check out his tweets. He and his doctor suess quotes. I have zero faith in this guy. He and Maroney can go away and it would make this fan kind of happy.

Agreed. If only he had more badass tweets.

the fact that they are giveing Ron Brace, rips is a good thing lets face it Ty Warren, is not the future of this team they need to see if Brace, can play

You understand we have 4 linebackers in our base defense and they are the primary pass rushers, not the DL?

Since 2001 40% of the Pats sacks have come from the DL, last year it 20%, and I don't see it getting any better this year.

Since 2001 40% of the Pats sacks have come from the DL, last year it 20%, and I don't see it getting any better this year.

thats because Seymour, could do with most 3-4 DE's can't do stop the run and get to the QB no Seymour, that means it's all on the LB's now

Didn't Wilfork also letter on his high school's basketball team?

Don't know, but i wouldn't doubt it. all BS aside, I believe he returned kicks and played skill positions at times in high school. He was only 240 or 250 then.:D

thats because Seymour, could do with most 3-4 DE's can't do stop the run and get to the QB no Seymour, that means it's all on the LB's now

Also, our linebacker corps became pitifully depleted at times, so I think Seymour led the team in sacks one year. In a 3-4, that's not a good thing.

We need to collapse the pocket so LBs and safeties can take a shot.

Not really, the Pats have always had 2 good DE's. In the 3 years Seymour played with Hamilton he had 157 tackles and 16 sacks, Hamilton had 153 tackle and 14 sacks. In the 5 years Warren and Seymour were together Seymour had 200 tackle and 29 sacks, while Warren had 184 tackles and 21 sacks. A good DL needs 2 good DE's that can play 3 downs and are good against the run and the pass, something the Pats are really lacking this year.

Also, our linebacker corps became pitifully depleted at times, so I think Seymour led the team in sacks one year. In a 3-4, that's not a good thing.

i agree 100%

That was in 2008

Not really, the Pats have always had 2 good DE's. In the 3 years Seymour played with Hamilton he had 157 tackles and 16 sacks, Hamilton had 153 tackle and 14 sacks. In the 5 years Warren and Seymour were together Seymour had 200 tackle and 29 sacks, while Warren had 184 tackles and 21 sacks. A good DL needs 2 good DE's that can play 3 downs and are good against the run and the pass, something the Pats are really lacking this year.

i agree that the DE's the pats have right not are not great but like RAY said the DE's job is not to rush the QB but to keep the OL off of the LB's and i don't think they will be in a base 3-4 a whole lot this year they will be playing a lot of nickel and dime to stop the pass

We played a 4 man line in 2001 when Hamilton had 7 sacks, he had two and zero the next two years. The other DE was Pleasant, Seymour and Brandon Mitchell played tackle.

Hamilton teamed with Anthony Pleasant for 13 sacks (seven and six, respectively) in 2001. It was the highest sack total by a Patriots defensive line tandem since defensive ends Brent Williams (8.0) and Gary Jeter (7.0) totaled 15 in 1989.

Read more at: Bobby Hamilton - Official New England Patriots Biography

Didn't Wilfork also letter on his high school's basketball team?

There's a radio interview somewhere of Wilfork and Jones, his high school teammate. I think it's WEEI. One of the funniest things I ever heard. Wilfork gets really (mock) offended at the interviewer doubting all the skills he has, as Jones recounts him playing almost every position on the football team, or being able to.

There's more at the link from his High school coach too.

"He was everything," Jones said. "He played quarterback in high school, kickoff returner, punter, running back. He was on the big man 4x100 relay team. He was the state champ in the shot put. He did everything, man.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../10/363916-wilfork-ilb-page2.html#post1883907

i agree that the DE's the pats have right not are not great but like RAY said the DE's job is not to rush the QB but to keep the OL off of the LB's and i don't think they will be in a base 3-4 a whole lot this year they will be playing a lot of nickel and dime to stop the pass

The DL has still accounted for 40% of the sacks over the past 8 years no matter how you look at. The OLB's on this team would have to better than Vrabel and Willie Mac in order to make up for that, and that will not happen.

If he can keep from getting kicked out or washed inside, he'll have J. Green beat. Last year in Buffalo he held his ground pretty well. It at least took the gaurds help to get him out of the hole. Let's hope for the best!

The DL has still accounted for 40% of the sacks over the past 8 years no matter how you look at. The OLB's on this team would have to better than Vrabel and Willie Mac in order to make up for that, and that will not happen.

The main job of our linemen is to tie up blockers so the linebackers can make plays. Because we spent a #6 overall and two other 1st rounders, we got very talented DL who could tie up blockers and occasionally rush.

Since we spent virtually nothing (except Adalius) for years, we had a linebacker corps who couldn't do their jobs.

The draft is in April. We might have a top pick in 2011. Until then, we do not have access to one of the few people on the planet that can tie up blockers and still get to the QB sometime.

Maybe we're lucky and one out of G Warren and D Lewis can get some pressure. however, that is a luxury, we need them to tie up blockers for our defense to work.

Note that, even though they might not be effective, we're still talking about one DL drafted even higher than Seymour and the second also originally a 1st rounder.

If you know of a 3-4 DE that can take on a double team and get 5-10 sacks, don't waste your time here, get right down to Foxboro and let them know, they will be overjoyed to see you.

It is just possible that Belichick can mold our three first rounders to an effective defensive line. They all are indeed talented. Both Warren and Lewis were picked in the early first (3rd and 12th). Wilfork is a first rounder and one of the best NT's in the NFL. Even our ILB's were picked early for ILB's: 10th and 62nd. This is potentially a very solid set of five inside defensive players.

Where players were originally picked may not matter much, but as you say, Belichick likes top talent on his DL. Losing 1st rounders Seymour and Warren was a huge blow to the DL.

The main job of our linemen is to tie up blockers so the linebackers can make plays. Because we spent a #6 overall and two other 1st rounders, we got very talented DL who could tie up blockers and occasionally rush.

Since we spent virtually nothing (except Adalius) for years, we had a linebacker corps who couldn't do their jobs.

The draft is in April. We might have a top pick in 2011. Until then, we do not have access to one of the few people on the planet that can tie up blockers and still get to the QB sometime.

Maybe we're lucky and one out of G Warren and D Lewis can get some pressure. however, that is a luxury, we need them to tie up blockers for our defense to work.

Note that, even though they might not be effective, we're still talking about one DL drafted even higher than Seymour and the second also originally a 1st rounder.

If you know of a 3-4 DE that can take on a double team and get 5-10 sacks, don't waste your time here, get right down to Foxboro and let them know, they will be overjoyed to see you.

It is just possible that Belichick can mold our three first rounders to an effective defensive line. They all are indeed talented. Both Warren and Lewis were picked in the early first (3rd and 12th). Wilfork is a first rounder and one of the best NT's in the NFL. Even our ILB's were picked early for ILB's: 10th and 62nd. This is potentially a very solid set of five inside defensive players.

Where players were originally picked may not matter much, but as you say, Belichick likes top talent on his DL. Losing 1st rounders Seymour and Warren was a huge blow to the DL.

Of course the draft position doesn't matter, it's just indicative of how rare players with the size strength agility combo are.

What i was trying to indicate to the poster is, the compromise could be plugging in a huge, less mobile player occasionally.

The good part of that compromise is, we've got a ton more talent and athleticism at LB and DB now, so if we can just hold the line, we have a lot of options.

If we continually get our ass kicked at the line, we're in trouble. The linebackers won't be able to make plays.

Of course Wright will play more, but he's not the strongest DL. Might be the best pass rusher of this group and i think G Warren and Lewis can bring it occasionally.

I agree with everything that you say. BTW, I have no fear with our up the gut defense this year. I do worry about our OLB's setting the edge.

Of course the draft position doesn't matter, it's just indicative of how rare players with the size strength agility combo are.

What i was trying to indicate to the poster is, the compromise could be plugging in a huge, less mobile player occasionally.

The good part of that compromise is, we've got a ton more talent and athleticism at LB and DB now, so if we can just hold the line, we have a lot of options.

If we continually get our ass kicked at the line, we're in trouble. The linebackers won't be able to make plays.

Of course Wright will play more, but he's not the strongest DL. Might be the best pass rusher of this group and i think G Warren and Lewis can bring it occasionally.

There's a radio interview somewhere of Wilfork and Jones, his high school teammate. I think it's WEEI. One of the funniest things I ever heard. Wilfork gets really (mock) offended at the interviewer doubting all the skills he has, as Jones recounts him playing almost every position on the football team, or being able to.

There's more at the link from his High school coach too.

"He was everything," Jones said. "He played quarterback in high school, kickoff returner, punter, running back. He was on the big man 4x100 relay team. He was the state champ in the shot put. He did everything, man.

There is no way in hell he did the pole vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing