PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ron Borges: Patriots face identity crisis - Reminiscent of ‘soft’ Colts teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006: If the refs don't get their grimy fingerprints all over that game, the Pats win 4 out of 6. Or even if they just call the game the same on both sides of the ball, the Pats win.

2007: If Asante Samuel holds on to a gimme INT, the Pats go down as the GOAT! If Asante doesn't abandon Tyree, same result. If TfB & the coaches manage the final possession better, they at least get to OT.

2008: 11-5 with a backup QB... enough said.

2009: 7-3 with a QB coming off major surgery and a D that ranks as highly as it does with a host of new faces? WTF is he talking about. Take away the bogus PI, the bad 4th down spot, or have TfB pass to Welker and the Pats are the class of the AFC.

I don't care what anyone says, the rules benefit the passing teams these days, and for some reason, they REALLY benefit a Peyton Manning passing team.

The Pats have 3 losses by a combined 11 points, but their ceiling is higher.
Compare that with the Colts. Can they keep getting away with late game heroics? Can they keep getting ALL the calls? (Maybe) Can they keep hoping RBs fumble on the goal line?

The Pats can look forward to:
Possibly having a healthy o-line.
Possibly having their 3 headed rushing attack back for the stretch run.
Possibly having the d-line rotation back at full strength.
Possibly having more game reps for their budding WRs like Stanbeck, Edelman, etc.

You are not alone. There are PLENTY of pansies on the Colts message board as well. They always blame anybody but Manning/Dungy/etc for the lack of sustained playoff success. 03 (I believe it was 03) Willie McGinnis faked an injury in the RCA dome which gave the Pats homefield. 04 against NE was the refs. In 05, the starters had too much time off. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK. I'm sure they're still coming up with elaborate excuses as to why we lost last year and the year before. Just like you. You really put work into that post.

You are not alone. There are PLENTY of pansies on the Colts message board as well. They always blame anybody but Manning/Dungy/etc for the lack of sustained playoff success. 03 (I believe it was 03) Willie McGinnis faked an injury in the RCA dome which gave the Pats homefield. 04 against NE was the refs. In 05, the starters had too much time off. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK. I'm sure they're still coming up with elaborate excuses as to why we lost last year and the year before. Just like you. You really put work into that post.

I agree. From 2006-now there are so many Pats excuse-makers it's ridiculous. Saying "what if" on how a play or player could have gone differently, throwing the defense under the bus, blaming refs, never attributing blame to the explosive offense or its predictable (and stoppable) scheme.

The Pats in the first half of this decade have morphed into the Colts - their fans too. The reverse for the Colts.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but this has gotta be said. We can't dance around this anymore. The Colts fans used to make excuses when we beat them. Now we're the ones making the excuses. This isn't us. This isn't what we are used to and I can tell you why. It is because we've lost the physicality and aggressiveness that we used to have. I know we still make interceptions and forced fumbles, but when was the last time that you saw a play from the defense that really made opposing teams fear us?

Who is afraid to go across the middle against us? Who is afraid of taking a hard shot from our players? When was the last time that you saw a guy get hit and he looked like he really didn't want anymore? Now when you take all of that, and really think about it, you have to ask: Did we do all of these things when it counted? Did we make the big plays against the best teams in critical situations? I know that I'm asking a lot of questions, but that's what we've have a lot of for the past five years. We've had a bunch of question marks on the team because not enough players had answers. And you don't win championships if you can't answer other teams.

We aren't built to go blow for blow with other teams anymore. Football is a 60 minute fight and we keep getting knocked out at the 50. We have to finish games. We have to find balance. Yes, it's fine to be cautious on defense at times, but all the damn time is ridiculous. We've lost a lot of the aggressive energy on defense. We can't rush the passer in a critical situation to save our lives. If something should happen to Banta-Cain we are done. Dead in the water. But what about the offense.

Yes, we have a great passing game. Yes we have done a bunch of great things through the air. But this is the NFL. It's not always about what you've done. It's about what you are going to do. And bet on this! On 4th and 2, the Colts knew exactly what we were going to do. They knew that we were going to pass because that's what we are: A passing team. We are not an offensive team: that implies balance. We've lost a great deal of that. If you disagree, then ask yourself why a poor Jets team was able to climb back into a football game that it had no business being in. Why were they able to stop us on offense and push us around on defense. IT'S BECAUSE WE DON'T FIGHT BACK. We've lost how. We haven't fought back from a bad deficit since week 1. I don't even think the level of competition needs to be discussed (that team doesn't even have a winning record).

We can't just run the ball more, we have to run the ball more effectively. We have to stop defenders from hitting our running backs before the line of scrimmage. We have to stop being predictable. We have to get our tight ends more involved in a passing game that is lacking a true third receiver. Most importantly, we can't keep living in the shot gun. It lets other teams take too many shots at us. Our offensive linemen can't wear anyone down because the play is usually over before they can really do some damage.

We can't keep making excuses about other teams because we've become the "other team." We're not champions. We're chasers. That's all we are going to be until we get physical, aggressive, and find some balance.

Great post, maybe we should move this post to a separate thread because what you articulated summed up what most of us average fans feel. Don't want this getting lost as one of the many comments on a Borges' thread...

The old teams used to suffer devastating injuries all the time and have resilience.

The new team can't win a game if Welker has a bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back