Welcome to PatsFans.com

Romney v. Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

It's beginning to look like the election will be between Obama and Romney. This was the result I was and am hoping for. While Romney poses the greatest threat to an Obama reelection, at least he's a moderate. If the Democrats retain control of the Senate or get control of the House they will be able to exert considerable control over his policies. In addition, he's unlikely to try to appoint far right SC justices, dramatically cut entitlements, or weaken anti-discrimination policies. Romney is very much a chameleon, who will adapt to a changing political environment as necessary. Romneycare has worked well in MA, and though he's not pro-gay marriage, he's not anti gay rights. He reminds me in many ways of Bush I, a man weak in principal who will do no more than pay lip service to the more radical elements in the Republican Party. And, if nothing else, he appears to be the most intelligent of the Republican candidates, able to think on his feet in debates and able to express himself intelligently.

Of course, he's no shoo-in for president because he'll lose a lot of the enthusiasm of the Tea Party, may induce a libertarian like Ron Paul to run as a third party candidate, is Mormon (which bothers a lot of evangelicals), and has been inconsistent. But, overall, I think independents and moderates will give him a more serious look than they might give a Tea Party candidate.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

I think a lot will depend on who he'd pick for a running mate. If he picked Christie (in spite of all of Christie's protestations that he needed to finish his term as governor of NJ when he refused to run for president, I don't hear the same sort of "finish what I promised the good citizens of New Jersey" when the possibility of running mate has been discussed) I think that a lot of the hard core Tea Party people might vote for him regardless of his moderate stance and cultish religion.

I suppose I could live with him, too....but I sure wish Huntsman had made a better showing. I'd be a lot more comfortable with him than I am with Romney.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Could Hillary get rid of Obama, will the people fall for "the oprah bullsh!t" this time around, the people certainly don't go for that leg tingling speech crap anymore.

They don't call Bill Clinton "Slick Willie" for nothing after the way she was stabbed in the back I don't think Hillary would be worried about offending any so called "friends" I think the democrat party knows that Hillary would landslide any one of the current republicans I think they also know that anybody can beat Obama.

Remember "Slick Willie" is still alive and kicking.

GOD HELP AMERICA

4. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So Obama is done then? Will you vote for Obama? Else, why do you care?

5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +270 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

That would be sort of a war of attrition, I think. With the base on the left somewhat alienated with Obama and Romney likely alienating the conservative base we might see an all-time high of voter apathy.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

forget all my "Rick perry is Jesus" crap...Romney is the best candidate the republicans have. Thats not really saying much. Obama is what the democrats have, thats not saying much either.

either way...its gunna be a LONG primary season, and an even LONGER 4 years after...

I'm surprised we didn't see Jeb Bush throw his hat in the mix.

Spercial interests will now spend untold fortunes to elect one of these pawns....

YAY!

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

I think that could very well happen. On the other hand, there are the Congressional races to motivate the left and right, and most people who go to the polls would probably vote for who they thought was the lesser of two evils. I know if Romney is the nominee, I will contribute to Congressional candidates, not Obama, which was not my intent if the nominee was Perry or someone like that.

One interesting possibility if it's Romney v. Obama, could this be the year for a third-party candidate? Could the 99%ers and the Tea Partiers find enough common ground to support a candidate? Perhaps someone like Ron Paul could get some real footing, taking enough votes from Obama and Romney so that people would not feel like a vote for him was really a vote for the person they like least.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 14 / -28

Does Romney have enough experience???

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

Not really sure who I'll vote for. If I had to vote today, I'd vote for Obama, but I don't have vote today, do I?

All things change - nothing remains the same. There's a lot that can and probably will happen in the next year. Obama could do something dreadful - something dreadful could come out about Romney - Huntsman could make a dramatic surge - we could all be wiped out by the next Ebola virus.

I tend to look ahead with reservations - and leave my options open.

10. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +270 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Keep an eye out for referenda as well...I seem to remember that they played a big role in turnout for the 2004 election.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +654 / 7 / -2

Romney is the one candidate, since Christie isn't running, that Obama doesn't want to face. Some of the reasons why are in Patters' post. Moderate, independent, and middle of the road voters will opt for Romney over Obama, whereas they might not with a Perry or more right wing candidate. As most know, that's where you usually win elections.

Romney's problem with the base can be overcome by two things. One, his not being Obama. If conditions don't improve by next year, I can't imagine hard line GOP'ers staying home and giving Obama another 4 years. Some might, but the overwhelming majority won't. At least not imo. Second, is who he picks for VP. If he picks a Tea Party, or base of the party favorite, (Christie, Rubio, Cain, etc.) he'll send him/her into the land of the base, while he campaigns in the places painted in purple.

The key to this election will be those middle of the road, slightly center left, center right, moderate and independent voters.

12. The Brandon Five

Ratings:
    +270 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

Well, he hasn't written two autobiographies, so...

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 14 / -28

How does the religious right view Romney?? After last weeks valueless voter conference, not very well..

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I read this morning that with Obama we needed Winston Churchill, yet got Nevil Chamberlain. I've been tossing that thought around my brain all day. This could be the year I write in Tom Brady.

Why not let the Tea Partiers have the keys to the castle? They'll slash taxes for the super rich, cut out all entitlements for the poor and middle class and regulate the financial industry even less. Then 4 years from now we'll be in a deep depression and the next Democrat will have an actual mandate and maybe even the balls to use it.

15. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Funny, that's what conservatives said after GWB. Look how well it's working out!

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Well the establishment pubs want Romney not sure that will be what they get. Obama will most likely lose no matter who the nominee is. We are heading into another recession Obama's campaign will consist of the demonize the rich, the current demonstrations are part of this aspect of his campaign the second wil be to try to blame the pubs since they aren't passing his latest prokulus bill. The left has nothing else to run on.

17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Oh yeah then there is the polling that has Romney stuck at <25%.

but Cain is shooting up the charts:

This scares the pub establishment to death.

18. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

I don't recall anybody saying that.

pubbies were fortunate they had a Dem to pin Bush's mess on.

19. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

Flavor of the month?

What would be interesting is to see the trends at PPP's polls over the past 3 or 6 months.

20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +296 / 3 / -4

Wishful thinking.

Let me know if you want to put anything behind your otherwise empty posts and take me up on the wager I proposed.