Welcome to PatsFans.com

Romney Uses Slur In Iowa Speech

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Jul 31, 2006.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You have got to be kidding me, he uses a derogatory term from decades ago and can't figure why it would cause a stir. He uses the term "tar baby" to describe the Big Dig. Wait, wait, wait, here's a good one, hold onto your chair, his spokesperson said the governor was describing a "sticky situation". Yea, thats the term I would have used.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/31/romney.racialremark.ap/index.html
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

"OH MY GOD"
    :bricks:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Clean your own house first.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Remember do not respond directly to the allegation, divert the attention to something that was said maybe 30 or 40 years ago... it is gonna be ok, lie when you have to we will emerge victorious in 2006. Do not forget take everything out of context and only put out part of the quote.

Karl Rove
  5. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Just like you, the democratic party of toady is filled with racial and religous bigots.
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Bob Shrum calling, thanks for taking the words right ot of my mouth.

I am sure you have bingo on your DNC talking points card.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

Its the hypocrisy of the sore losing left making excuses for a on old time Klansman and wanting to crucify another for a simple "remark" that was far less insulting than what the "Democrat Klucker" said.

The Reason:
    Romney isn't on their side.

My people are called "White Mother F-ckers" daily by people in the "Hood" and by prominent entertainers. (I say to them, "F-ck you" call us anything you want, I fart in your general direction) who gives a sh!t.
  8. Blue Collar

Blue Collar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Sorry, neither of these words are used in "my house". Secondly, I have never defended Byrd for his behavior decades ago. I just find it (hilarious, amusing, outrageous, insulting [please pick one]) that in this day and age, you have a politician running for the Presidency, using language in which was insulting back in the 60's. Is there anyone in this forum (besides "liberals") who think this was a hideous comment? Can you at least admit this without saying, yeabut.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have never heard that phrase as being considered a racial slur until today. And apparently neither has the American Heritage Dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tar baby

This is just the radical left trying to make a mountain out of a molehill because the person involved is a Republican. If he was a democrat, he could be an ex-Klansman and no one would care.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

May not be in a dictionary, however it is considered offensive by African American people... that bible of the right the Boston Herald seems to think it is a big deal also.. so before everyone dismisses it as a left wing imaginery thing, check it out. FYI cannot find mention of it in the Globe, so guess the right wing mainstream media drive by press thinks it is significant.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=150679
    Tar baby’ quip lands Mitt in muddle: Black leaders rip Gov
    By Laurel J. Sweet
    Monday, July 31, 2006 - Updated: 03:56 PM EST

Prominent black Bay Staters are outraged by Gov. Mitt Romney’s use of the words “tar baby†to describe the Big Dig as he stumped for presidential points in Iowa.

“Tar baby is a totally inappropriate phrase in the 21st century. If Calvin Coolidge didn’t use it, why the hell should Mitt Romney?†railed Larry Jones, a black Republican and civil rights activist.

Tar baby can refer to a sticky mess, but it also has been recognized as an epithet to humiliate black people. President Bush’s spokesman Tony Snow learned that in May when his expression, “I don’t want to hug the tar baby of trying to comment on the program,†raised the hackles of political
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Romney is simply proving how out-of-touch he is with regular people. None of us would use the term in ordinary speech as we know it's probably a derrogatory phrase. Mitt simply doesn't operate on this lowly level.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19990212

"...The tar baby is a form of a character widespread in African folklore. In various folktales, gum, wax, or other sticky material is used to trap a person.

...In the story "Tar-Baby," the character Brer Fox makes a doll out of tar, which he places by the road to entrap his enemy Brer Rabbit. Brer Rabbit talks to the doll, and when it doesn't answer, he hits it, and gets stuck in the tar. The more he struggles with it, the more he is entangled in it.

This story has led to the figurative use of tar baby in the sense 'an inextricable problem or situation', sometimes with the nuance 'something used to entrap a person.

The expression tar baby is also used occasionally as a derogatory term for black people... As a result, some people suggest avoiding the use of the term in any context."
  13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,025 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Anyone slamming Romney...putting different thoughts to his words simply has no life...get a clue liberals of the country...we have much bigger problems at hand. Never let it be said that liberals let anything they can cry about get past them...even if it is 10% cryable....they will cry until the last liberal rag is listening.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

You mean the Boston Herald?? Is it interesting that that "liberal rag" the Globe did not report it?? We do have bigger problems, a lying president who has taken us to an unresolvable conflict in the mideast.
  15. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Same can be said of a "spade". Go on down to Roxbury and vent your language.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Never mind that the term is only arguably derogatory and historically vague... who here thinks Romney MEANT it as a racial slur? I've grown to despise Romney since he was elected, but let's get real here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I wouldn't slam Romney for this "incident". I was pointing out that he was raised on a different social level than most Americans. The one thing I do admire about the guy is that he rarely poses as a "down wif dat" type of phoney 'man of the people", thing we see most politicians. You'd never see him cuttin' brush or hangin out at the tractor pull or (*gasp*) wearin his Sox cap backwards. He probably really has no idea it has a negative connotation - its just an Uncle Remus story. :rolleyes:
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So say he picked it up somewhere in Utah years ago and now decided to use it - do you think he meant to be derogatory towards blacks or was he just repeating a term he may have heard at some point in a non-derogatory context?
  19. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,025 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

The media is killing him...I was not refering to you Wistah...this is a good subject to discuss though because what he said and the reaction to it is amazing from any viewpoint.
  20. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Heh heh, not entirely. I couldn't find it now, but I remember a picture of him about a year ago holding a shovel, "fixing" a pothole :)