Welcome to PatsFans.com

Romney signs marriage pledge

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Romney signs marriage pledge - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has joined Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Sen. Pennsylvania Rick Santorum in signing a pledge to oppose same-sex marriage on a number of specific fronts.

The three candidates signed the pledge advanced by the National Organization for Marriage, which has led national and state campaigns to limit marriage to a man and a woman. The signature of the front-runner, Romney, is a bit of a coup for the group, as he's been careful about committing to other pledges, including a broad promise to a socially conservative Iowa group that caused trouble for other candidates.

Romney, Bachmann and Santorum signed on to support a federal constitutional amendment defining marriage, to appoint federal judges who don't see a constitutional right to same-sex marriage and to back the Defense of Marriage Act.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

It would be interesting to see if they also oppose Civil Unions, many conservatives who oppose the term Marriage applied to same sex relationships have no issue with Civil Unions to protect the property and legal rights of same sex couples.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

He has a right to his opinion and the voters have the right to approve or not approve. Personally I would not vote for any man or woman who is not 100% for equality in this country. Romney, Bachman and Santorum do not believe in equality (politically) IMO ... BOO to them.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

Civil unions offer no federal protection, such as with the laws around Social Security, federal taxes, emergency medical decisions, giving tax-free gifts to partners, and immigration rights.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I think a real civil union would encompass both the state and federal level.
  6. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Although Obama did remove the "don't ask - don't tell" from the Military, I believe he is also in favor of civil unions as long as they get the same rights as married couples.

Feel free to give a Boo to Obama too !
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

In that case, a constitutional amendment, which I would still disagree with, should refer to the "word 'marriage'" to make clear that the objection is to the word itself, not the rights entailed by the word. Do you really think this issue is semantic? I don't.
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

It is not semantic, the institution of marriage has deep spiritual meaning to some people. 13 is correct. Real civil unions would be provide equal protection at all levels. Civil unions are all that governments should recognize (even for hetero couples). Leave marriage as a religious ceremony.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +167 / 4 / -4

I'm all for making civil unions the law of the land and leaving marriage to the churches and other religious institutions.

That said, I do think someday we should prevent even religious institutions from discriminating. After all, they wield enormous political power.

Also, most conservatives who support gay rights support it at the State level not the federal level, so your point about civil unions I thinks flies in the face of present day conservative thinking.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Well that flip flop only took 3 weeks.

July 13, 2011
    Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's campaign said Tuesday that he will not sign a conservative Iowa Christian group's far-reaching pledge opposing gay marriage, making him the first Republican presidential candidate to reject it.

Andrea Saul, a spokeswoman for Romney, told The Associated Press in a written statement Tuesday that Romney "strongly supports traditional marriage," but that the oath "contained references and provisions that were undignified and inappropriate for a presidential campaign."

Romney refuses to sign anti-gay marriage pledge - politics - Decision 2012 - msnbc.com
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Mitt's word is like an oak tree...........(insert joke). Is there anything that this guy hasn't flopped on?
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Religion is a personal belief and is no business of government.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Than why do you want the government to step in and prevent the building of new mosques or to ban the wearing of burkas or face veils?
  14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I am comfortable flying in the face of anyone's thinking. I do my own.

:D
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

The burqa issue is not just about religion.

Ban the Burqa | Claire Berlinski
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

WHAT?
    A political candidate whose only moral compass is a finger in the wind?
    NOOOoooo!
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

While I have thought this was the best solution for years, has any politician of any significance offered it as the answer (as far as you know)?
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

Don't want to get too far off topic, but I think you're way off on this one, Patters. I'm not religious, bit religious freedom is an important principle for our nation. If you're going to prevent discrimination by religious institutions, you're trampling on religious freedom.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Because we have zoning laws, and there is apolitical significance attached to the location of Mosques in the Muslim world. I presume you are speaking of the 9-11 Mosque. I do not think it is right for jihadist to erect a monument to the killing of 3,000 Americans YMMV.

That issue was about politics not religion.

BTW I would object to a museum celebrating the KKK erected next to MLK's home.
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 2 / -1

How about a Catholic church a few blocks from a childcare center, school or playground?