Welcome to PatsFans.com

Romney Pity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I am actually starting to feel sorry for this guy. I mean, honestly, how many times can he say the exact wrong thing at the exact wrong time in the exact wrong setting?

At a woefully underattended rally in Detroit yesterday, Mitt Romney, who believes that the auto companies should have been allowed to fail, and in front of an audience comprised of one of the hardest hit unemployment populations in the United States, said this:

Why not just say, "My wife and I both drive American made cars," and leave off the fact that two people drive 4 cars - especially in front of an audience where it's likely most families of four only own one - and it's not a Caddy?

I can't decide if he's that out of touch with most voter's reality or he just wants to rub their faces in it.

2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Not that I am outright defending Mitt. I agree he has a "way with words" like few other pols recently.

However why would you assume the bolded part? My guess would be the types of crowds he draws would be exactly opposite to what you described, even in an area hit hard by the economy.

If we are to buy into "you are left or right" game that our political climate has become basically since 2001 or so, its seems that more well off people tend to vote R, or at least that is what people are led to believe anyway.

Point 2, I know many families (who are not rich by any stretch) who have multiple cars for 2 people.

That said, I would agree he is just that far out of touch with reality (and to be fair almost all politician's realities are only realities for a very few in this country). His "What do you wanna bet? Ten grand?" comment at one of the debates was far more indicative of that fact IMHO than this one.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Tuesday will decide Mitt's fate. If he does not win Michigan, it is over for any presidential ambitions.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,016 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

So Mitt will fit in well with the DC exclusive club ... nothing to see here.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

In fairness, I think that if he had simply said we drive American cars, some people would have claimed he was hiding how many / what kinds of cars.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I was basing my opinion on the fact that it was a daytime, weekday "rally." Most people with money are working. The people who tend to show up at daytime weekday rallies are retired or unemployed.

Plus, the stadium is located in downtown Detroit. Not exactly an area where the wealthy tend to flock to.

But, on second thought, you could be right. With the demographics in Detroit being what they are - perhaps it was the entirety of the well off residents who were there.

This may very well depend on where you're from, Drewski. I'm from the midwest - not too far from Detroit and close enough to have spend some time there. Without meaning to sound any kind of classist/racist/bigoted, and speaking from the truth as I know it, most families in the heartland who have more than one car have all but one of them up on blocks.

In the better off families they may have one car for each adult - but I honestly can't think of anyone I knew or still know back home who had more than one car per driver.

7. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I am not saying your assumption is off. I just was going with the "Rs draw in the wealthy as part of their base" theory. I personally don't know many lower economic level people that would even think about voting for Romney (or any R for that matter). Not saying it doesnt or cant happen, just I think there is a wealth/party vote correlation (from a high up level or course).

Oh agreed Mrs. But I was counting "job" vehicles in my point. My parents live in "rural" MA (rural in the SE MA sense of 20 mins to rt 24, 20 mins to rt 3 - basically the "middle of nowhere").

My dad has his everyday driver, his weekend driver, my mom has her SUV and they are in the market for a "shi*tbox pickup" for weekend runs to the dump/yard waste/recycling center.

People in their neighborhood have cars/trucks to pull a camper, conversion vans for weekend trip to wherever etc etc.

Some of my family in Cincy have the same. Maybe these types of examples are exceptions and not the norm. But of the people I know who do have them, maybe one family I would consider "rich"; but again, rich is a subjective term. Rich to one person, isnt the same as another.

8. Patradomous

Patradomous In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +383 / 67 / -92

#87 Jersey

Yeah, I guess Mitt owes everyone an apology for being a honest succesful man.

9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

you sure about the "honest" part?

The firm he helped start has a reputation within the industry among those who work with private equity firms for being pretty shady, if not outright unethical. That may not have been his doing, but it certainly makes me at least wonder about his ethical compass.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +917 / 7 / -3

Yawn.

Did someone seriously say that a household of four probably only has one car? Namely one in that audience? Um...

The natives must be getting nervous. We're at the point where just about anything Romney says is somehow made to look bad, while whatever ills Obama actually commits are watered down and covered up through the press. The Obama reelection campaign via the MSM is reving it's gas guzzling engine.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +917 / 7 / -3

OMG what?!?!?!?! :bricks:

12. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Granite, the guy's an oak.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Aren't most cars in Detroit today STOLEN?