Welcome to PatsFans.com

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

in the midst of the storm, Bloomberg is reporting this:

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations - Bloomberg

This sounds pretty complicated, But looks as if Romney is using the tax exempt status of his own church to generate a stream on income to his trust.

Its legal for those who were grandfathered in, but I don't think I'm alone in saying this is SUPER shady.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Well, I think the problem is with YOU.

Ya see, there are some financial devices and tax advantages that are perfectly legal and available to use for every American...provided, of course, you have the army of accountants, financial planners and lawyers at your disposal. It would also be beneficial if you had an unknown millions of dollars to take advantage of these devices.

Maybe your problem is that you're just jealous because YOU don't have a billion dollars that allows you to use these "financial tools" like Willard. Don't blame him because you're idea of a tax deduction is your mortgage interest or some mini-human running around the living room drawing on your flatscreen with a sharpie. That's not his fault.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I honestly could give a flying F how much money a person has, money means exactly jack $#!t to me. I've seen what it does to people. Your claim is baseless, and quite frankly insulting. Is Bloomerg News also jealous of his $$? No...so check yourself.

What Romney is doing is CURRENTLY ILLEGAL, If you get a billion dollars today, you can't do this. He is grandfathered into this. They made this practice against the law, because its kindof sick.

The actual problem I have with it, and if you look into it without jumping on the tires cop-out "YOU ARE JEALOUS OF $$$" bull-crap is that he is using the disguise of his charitable donation to the church as a revenue stream. All his chest boasting of being a generous man, is actually a stream on INCOME.

what should have most Romney supporters a bit uneasy after reading this is not so much this terrible fact that Mitt is generating money from his donations to the church, but the fact that Bloomberg news has obtained his tax returns from 2007....I bet this is the tip of the iceberg...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Wow.

Totally missed the sarcasm of my post, huh?
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I KNEW IT!!!!.... I thought it was a bit of an odd jab coming from you. we are solid. My bad for not giving you the benefit of the doubt...errr...benefit of the sarcasm

From the same article, showing his returns and the $$$ the church has been getting from this CRUT...

No doubt about it...Mitt Romney is a terrible human being...just terrible

6. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -1

Don't you know it's your fault for being too poor and stupid to take advantage of these perfectly legal things?

It's everyone's right to minimize their tax liability. Should have taken advantage of it!
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

ha! I know..my bad for not being rich back in the 90s.

The analyst closes the article with the sad truth....

8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

But anyone else with a CRUT (like the Kennedys) are ok, right?

You might have missed this passage in the article:

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Nah, its not cool...in fact in 1997, congress decided it wasn't cool. They made it illegal.

I didn't miss that passage. It seems to me it would be charitable for Mitt to donate his $$$ to the church instead of using it as a revenue stream to him. He could simply NOT use his CRUT, but he still uses a loophole that is now illegal, and the contribution to the church is shrinking.

what a real stand-up guy!
  10. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -1

Who said that?

I don't know where people get this idea that being unhappy with Romney means we are all Kennedy loving, rank file Democrats who read ThinkProgress and think Obama is the perfect son of George Washington and Abe Lincoln.

I'm guessing you get this rhetoric from the blogs that dig up Democratic history (Kennedy was a _____) and expect that to mean anything to your average person that doesn't agree with Romney.

We're not 'libtards' or 'Moonbats' who are suffering from 'the disease of liberalism' :)
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 2 / -9

They all do something, John Fonda Kerry hides his boat.
  12. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I guess I just missed all the threads complaining about Kerry and Kennedy's wealth (or any other rich Dem).
  13. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The same ones who complain about Romney's wealth also crow about the Wall Street and how we should never bash economic data i.e. they don't see a connection just a tunnel.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

MOre than anything, to me this makes me ask myslef the question: If Mitt Romney, a bishop in the Mormon Church, cares more about keeping his CRUT revenue than making a valid contribution to the church, what makes me believe he will have the american people's best interest ahead of his own greed?
  15. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -1

Are either running for President?

Has anyone here declared Kerry as an ideal President? Certainly better than Bush, but nothing else.
  16. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Self interest is the name of the game. That's why government should be smaller. Crony capitalism is bad!
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

the government HAS gotten smaller. Crony ANYTHING is bad... whats your point? Oh...its just a TALKING POINT, oh...

If we are dumb enough to elect this greedy man to office, we deserve every cent he steals from us.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +368 / 3 / -15

Most entertainers are incorporated as themselves to take advantage of many tax loopholes that most of us can't get. They can even write-off parties as "Business Entertainment"....If we want to complain about our tax structure, we should all inclusive, shouldn't we?
  19. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -1

I'm all for it!

But electing politicians that engage in this sort of behavior isn't going to get laws passed that end these issues!
  20. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -1

You are 100% right! And that is why these things will never change. All politicians that make it to a level where they can change these types of things already engage in them. It is like saying tax the rich more, close the loopholes... Who would have to vote to do that? Rich people (politicains) it is not going to happen.

If Obama gets elected again he will not tax the rich more, that is laughable.