PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Romeo or Charlie: Which one would do you think would be more likely to come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriotDynasty_12

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
There is no doubt that there is tension between both coaches and their clubs and I wish them the best, but if they both got the boot, which one do you think would have a better chance of winding up in NE? Hell, even throw in which one you;d rather have back (even though most of us, if not all would love to see them both back!)

I'll say Romeo. Been in the NFL all this time and we could definately use him!

Last edited:
I think it depends if Josh McDaniels is going to be the next big thing in the NFL or not. If he left, I could see Brady lobbying for Charlie to return. Do you think BB would just dump Dean Pees to make room for Romeo?

Bill came right out and said coaching was one of the big issues on defense on WEEI. I wonder if he was more hands on in this game plan.

Romeo might be a good addition. One focus.

I'd rather keep Josh as OC, though.

Weis, because McDaniels would be a HC somewhere else long before Pees.

While both Pees and McDaniels have been spoken of as future head coach candidates, McDaniels is the one that had requests for interviews last season. Add in the success of Cassel and the offense without Brady so far this season, and McDaniels will be the hotter candidate again this coming offseason. That would mean that Weis would be the more likely returnee.

However, count me as one person who's very happy with the two coordinators currently on staff and who doesn't want to see either former coordinator getting their job back next season.

While both Pees and McDaniels have been spoken of as future head coach candidates, McDaniels is the one that had requests for interviews last season. Add in the success of Cassel and the offense without Brady so far this season, and McDaniels will be the hotter candidate again this coming offseason. That would mean that Weis would be the more likely returnee.

However, count me as one person who's very happy with the two coordinators currently on staff and who doesn't want to see either former coordinator getting their job back next season.

As much as I'd like to agree, I haven't been pleased with Pees. McDaniels has done a hell of a job, but Pees to me, has been very questionable. Maybe its the players, but the secondary has been terrible, the pass rush has been non-exsistent, and 3rd downs seem to be nightmares now.

If it was a choice between Romeo and Weis, hands down, Romeo.. While McDaniels might not be as good at strategy, he's a step ahead of Weis as a tactician, though he's still learning.

Both were amazing coordinators who, to be frank, have seemed a good deal out of their depth at times as head coaches. I wouldn't mind seeing either return, especially if McD is going to be looked at for HC vacancies again this year. Pees I could take or leave to be honest, but if given the choice I'd prefer Romeo.

As much as I'd like to agree, I haven't been pleased with Pees. McDaniels has done a hell of a job, but Pees to me, has been very questionable. Maybe its the players, but the secondary has been terrible, the pass rush has been non-exsistent, and 3rd downs seem to be nightmares now.

Giving your coordinator:

An offense that has gone from the best ever to just 12th in the league to this point.

A defense that has lost 2 of its best 3 defensive backs, one during the season.

A defense that has lost 2 of its 4 linebackers, one during the season, and replaced one with a rookie and one with a player who's getting on the field for the first real minutes of his career.

A defense that is transitioning the 3rd of its 4 linebackers out of the offense and replacing him with a rookie.

A defense that had drafted a cornerback with the notion of making him a starter, only to see him be lost for the season when he finally got to make his first start.

A defense that had a 31 year old cornerback that was cut by the Bengals as its #2 cornerback.

Taking all that into account.... If I told you that defense would only drop 4 slots, from the #4 scoring defense to the #8 scoring defense at the moment, you'd be thrilled out of your mind.

Like too many people on the board lately, you're overthinking things.

Last edited:
Giving your coordinator:

An offense that has gone from the best ever to just 12th in the league to this point.

A defense that has lost 2 of its best 3 defensive backs, one during the season.

A defense that has lost 2 of its 4 linebackers, one during the season, and replaced one with a rookie and one with a player who's getting on the field for the first real minutes of his career.

A defense that is transitioning the 3rd of its 4 linebackers out of the offense and replacing him with a rookie.

A defense that had drafted a cornerback with the notion of making him a starter, only to see him be lost for the season when he finally got to make his first start.

A defense that had a 31 year old cornerback that was cut by the Bengals as its #2 cornerback.

Taking all that into account.... If I told you that defense would only drop 4 slots, from the #4 scoring defense to the #8 scoring defense at the moment, you'd be thrilled out of your mind.

Like too many people on the board lately, you're overthinking things.

Whoops- i misinterpreted your post

Last edited:
Nevermind, the poster changed his post....

Last edited:
Q1 Who would I rather have back: Charlie
Q2 Who is most likely to be back: Charlie

McDaniel is likely to be coaching elsewhere in 2009.

Romeo will be looking for another coaching job, or even an assistant coaching job. If he take a coordinator position, it would be with the idea of being Head Coach. None of this is a fit for New England. Romeo has more to offer other teams.

Last edited:
Josh is a good O coordinator and he will be around here. I'm worried about our D coaching staff and we need to do something to improve our D.

There is no doubt that there is tension between both coaches and their clubs and I wish them the best, but if they both got the boot, which one do you think would have a better chance of winding up in NE? Hell, even throw in which one you;d rather have back (even though most of us, if not all would love to see them both back!)

Neither one.......you can't go back after leaving the way they did....going out on top after a SB win........it would probably never be the same....both will go onto careers elsewhere.....college or pro....I could see RC going on to coach at a college level....not sure about Charlie...IF he gets fired

I don't think Charlie will be fired at ND, but if he were, he'd be the likelier to end up in New England in the event McDaniels got a head gig elsewhere.

As for our defense, it could be that Pees loses his job. But not to Romeo. Maybe Capers? Why else would Capers come on board?

I'm not sure Romeo has a great relationship with Belichick. That little tidbit about he and Mangini pointedly ignoring Belichick at the coach's meetings last year was a bit intriguing. We all have colleagues that don't get along, and there are awkward moments when you're "palling" around with one instead of the other, so you can't really read too much into this. Nonetheless, I'd say it's a bit intriguing.

This defense is a veteran defense loaded with on-field coaches. The defensive backfield is not as experienced but stocked with up-and-comers with (now) alot of game time under their belts. DC is not quite the premium job to have on this team as it would be on others.

No offense to Pees and his staff but I'll bet BB has alot more input in game-planning on that side of the ball than the other.

There won't be any "Back to The Future" moves concerning Romeo or Charlie.

They both left here to go on to what they saw as greener pastures, ie, more money and more importantly EGO. I am the best OC and DC, but that is not enough, I want more; more money, more power, I want to prove I can run the ship myself.

They have both proven to be miserable failures in their new roles, so I wouldn't want either one of them back.

Had they both stayed here, the Patriots would have two more Super Bowl wins......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back