PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Romeo Crennel to be Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyronePoole

Banned
Reaction score
NFL | Report: Crennel, Pioli informed they're out - Rotoworld.com

A "more than reliable source" tells 610 Houston's Nick Wright that Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli have both been informed they will be fired at season's end.

Although he's now based in Houston, Wright is a former Kansas City radio host with a history of breaking Chiefs news. Similar to the situation in San Diego, we're unlikely to get official word on Crennel and Pioli's fate until after Week 17, but there's zero reason to believe either will be retained. Pioli has undermined an otherwise promising roster by failing disastrously in his quest to find a quarterback, while Crennel has proven every bit as overmatched as he was in Cleveland. Retaining Crennel after he guided the Chiefs to a 2-1 finish as interim coach in 2011 could end up as a job-killing decision for Pioli. His reported bizarre behind-the-scenes behavior surely did him no favors with owner Clark Hunt, who will be undergoing his second GM search in five years.

I can't think of any reason to bring Pioli back, I don't see what he would add, plus BB has been drafting well lately.

Romeo though seems like what this team needs. No offense to Patricia but there is talent on the defense and not a lot of creativity. BB didn't exactly roll out the red carpet for him last time but do you think there's anyway he tries for him now?

Damn good question.

It'd be very interesting to see Romeo come back. But hasn't BB been grooming Patricia for awhile now? Might be a little odd to demote him just because an old employee became available.

I love Crennel as much as the next Pats fan, but before we let anyone go for him remember the horses he had on defense. That might of had a little something to do with his success;)

I think Romeo is going to have to come back
as a position coach if he were to come back here ... why would he do that?

Crennel is not coming back to New England. It's time for him to retire.

Everyone knew this was coming. It's too bad they could not replicate the Brady-Belichick success, but that's what happens.

There are two enduring memories for me in this: 1) the way the Chiefs played their hearts out for Romeo Crennel last year after Haley was fired, and 2) the way Romeo handled the immediate aftermath of the murder-suicide a few weeks ago. He is a good man and a compassionate man.

Pioli, on the other hand, tried to ride into town with all the answers when his success in New England was based on a group approach to player personnel, changing situations, assistant coach involvement, and ownership buying in to building depth at every level. He could not replicate that for many reasons, and is out. It will be interesting to see if he, too, gets another chance at being a GM. In the meantime, he could be a great analyst a la Charlie Casserly or Mike Lombardi.

One thing we've learned is not to say "Belichick never does that."
He doesn't put a lot of emphasis on doing things exactly the same season to season.

I would love it if there could be a role for RAC. Assistant Head Coach? Advisor? Defensive liaison? He's such a good communicator.

If Kansas is serious about their football program becoming as prominent as their basketball program, teaming RAC up with Weis could be a great fit.

Damn good question.

It'd be very interesting to see Romeo come back. But hasn't BB been grooming Patricia for awhile now? Might be a little odd to demote him just because an old employee became available.

I love Crennel as much as the next Pats fan, but before we let anyone go for him remember the horses he had on defense. That might of had a little something to do with his success;)

He had some good and great players. But he also kept the secondary functional when Troy Brown was a CB. We've got a constant secondary regression problem. Will Denard regress next year in the way every other cb has? Couldn't hurt to have him around as a special assistant come playoff time.

what's more prestigious, DC for Kansas or DB coach for the Pats? I think unfortunately one way or another he'll have "better" offers than Pats DB coach which at his age probably isn't very tantalizing.

Next topic, "Sun to rise in the East tomorrow"

not if tomorrow is Friday...ulp!

I could see him in the Dom Capers special assistant sort of role, but as a coach...no. And honestly, after what he went through this year, the man deserves to retire and live in peace.

Well we got Mcdaniels and Branch back. Lets re-sign Moss,Stallworth, Gaffney and Romeo next year.

bring crennell back and get rid of that idiot patricia

I'd like to see Romeo back.

I do not want to see Pioli within 500 miles of Gillette regardless of the time of year or purpose, especially when it comes to do with anything to do with the draft.

I do not want to see Pioli within 500 miles of Gillette regardless of the time of year or purpose, especially when it comes to do with anything to do with the draft.
Strangely, I don't think most Pats fans understand that point.

I feel like Pioli's chances of coming back to NE are like interest rates to the banks: Zero and headed lower for decades to come.

I think it's strange that you think that, I've seen this sentiment all over this forum.

I feel like Pioli's chances of coming back to NE are like interest rates to the banks: Zero and headed lower for decades to come.

Wat.

There's no need for Pioli to come back to Foxboro. I'd be happy for Crennel to advise as a Special Assistant - Defense but that's about it. Mind you, the Chiefs D (yes, I know they had a lot of injuries) were plain awful this season (despite their collection of talent).

I might be in the minority here but i personally still think Romeo has alot to offer as a DC.

He looked to really be doing a good job with the KC defense last year. I hope he does a JMcD type move as an adviser here during playoffs if he gets fired in the next few weeks.

I think we can work our something permanent from there as in my opinion his HC days are over if he loses his job at KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back