PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rome the only non US city to host the Super Bowl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah! How dare any non-Americans like NFL football!!! Woo-hoo!

USA! USA! USA!

:eyeroll:

Last time I checked the NFL Super Bowl was a sport/event the entire world watched and enjoyed. What is wrong with playing the occassional SB outside the US? I think it's a great idea.

It's not like the average NFL fan ever gets to see a Super Bowl anyway, so what's the difference between whether its played in Houston, Miami or London?

It makes great sense for the league and its popularity. Not sure I quite understand your xenophobic stance.

I don't think its a great idea at all, honestly. The logistics is a nightmare, not to mention the toll the travel puts on the players.

The Superbowl is NOT going to be held outside the US anytime soon.

Einstein .... the point of the discussion was INTERNATIONAL locations not U.S. locations. Don't bring up LA, Miami and the others, they're not relevant to the discussion. And you know 10x more about Rome .... that's impressive. Sounds like you might be the one who wasn't travelled.

As I said before, an international location for the Super Bowl would do more harm than good. Leave it in the good old USA.

First, I've travelled. Spent 3 entire successive years of my life travelling. And then did more travelling after that. Let's leave it at that. Definitely travelled a lot more than you have. Rome is a great city, everyone knows this.

Second, of course it's relevant. If crime and dirt make a city ineligible, as you implied in your first post, then you have to look at the current hosts.

Last edited:
If they ever held a Super Bowl outside the United States it would be a slap in the face to every single fan that has made this league as great as it is.

Why, every fan has to travel to the super bowl anyway. I rather spend the week leading up to the superbowl In London, Milan, Barcelona than Miami, LA or New Orleans.

USA! USA! USA!

Last time I checked the NFL Super Bowl was a sport/event the entire world watched and enjoyed. What is wrong with playing the occassional SB outside the US? I think it's a great idea.

It's not like the average NFL fan ever gets to see a Super Bowl anyway, so what's the difference between whether its played in Houston, Miami or London?
Well, I went to Super Bowl 39 and I saw a whole bunch of average NFL fans there... so maybe you're so poor you can only dream of such a thing, but there are plenty of NFL fans that make the trip.
It makes great sense for the league and its popularity. Not sure I quite understand your xenophobic stance.
How many European cities have funded taxpayer stadium and given them to an NFL team...? Not too many, by my last count. How many European cities have contributed to making the NFL the great sports behemoth it is...? Oh but sure... the NFL should just take the biggest annual sporting event on the planet and send it over to Europe.

Yeah, that makes sense :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OK, why are we arguing about some that ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN?

the Super Bowl has been held in LA, Miami, Detroit, New Orleans, all 3 cities are dirtier and more dangerous than Rome. You sound like you haven't left suburbia in eons.[/QUOTE]

* But when they have a SB in 1 of those cities the extra police presense negates whatever reputation, real or imagined, that city has. I went to the 2001 SB and the 2003 SB and felt completely comfortable. I would guess a non-US city would go out of thier way to do the same.

USA! USA! USA!

What part of NATIONAL Football League throws you off? Its an american game and the greatest game there is. Lets not take the championship game and use it as a publicity stunt. They can screw around with the pro-bowl all they want. But not the season, and definitely not The Super Bowl!

If they ever held a Super Bowl outside the United States it would be a slap in the face to every single fan that has made this league as great as it is.

* So few of the real fans of the teams get to go to a SB, I don't know that it'd make that much difference

Well, I went to Super Bowl 39 and I saw a whole bunch of average NFL fans there... so maybe you're so poor you can only dream of such a thing, but there are plenty of NFL fans that make the trip.

Don't personal attacks like this violate your Jedi Code?

* How did you know they were "average" fans? Did you ask them how much money they made?

I think Jamaica would be the best place. Jamaican women are hot. How do I know? Look at their track teams when they are in the Olympics, and I know plenty of Jamaicans as well, because of their jobs, they had to move into my city.

The 6:20 start-up time here would be 12:20 am there. So say they play it primtetime at 9 pm, that would be 3 pm here, don't know if the NFL would like that nowadays.

gladiator_3.jpg

I don't think so.

anyway i would love an NFL regular season game playied here but i think the NFL will play in Europe only in UK and Germany; those are the 2 Countries that have more NFL fans in Europe

Mexico again and Canada will be other 2 countries where an NFL regular season game can be playied

i do not know about Asia (China or Japan...)

is there the NFL popular ?

This is just Michael Silver being "controversial". There is no chance of it happening in his lifetime. But, if the Superbowl were ever played abroad, Rome would be a terrible choice.

I was there last weekend and had a great time: it's a beautiful place, of course, with lots to see and do, but it also has chaotic airports, terrible traffic, inefficient public transport and very expensive hotels that are always full.

This is just Michael Silver being "controversial". There is no chance of it happening in his lifetime. But, if the Superbowl were ever played abroad, Rome would be a terrible choice.

I was there last weekend and had a great time: it's a beautiful place, of course, with lots to see and do, but it also has chaotic airports, terrible traffic, inefficient public transport and very expensive hotels that are always full.

i would prefere Milan

seriously if there should be an important event i am sure Rome could perform (see for examply the winter olympic games in Turin) - they have been considered at top level

but, again, Super Bowl will be always playied in US

Last edited:

The obvious problems that would make it impossible not withstanding (time difference, travel and lodging for players, press and fans, etc.) it really wouldn't be. One city would lose some money they would have gotten from hosting but I would hardly call that a slap in the face to every single football fan.

Quite seriously, they should play the Pro bowl in a different foreign city every year. Foreign fans get a taste, the league gets it's exposure and no one screws up their football season, hopefully.

Unfortunately, the elements come in to play, but they could try southern cities first.

Europe's small enough that fans could get to a game in Italy, southern France, etc.

I think that if the league is serious about spreading the game internationally this is the best way to do it. Its certainly a better idea than making teams travel internationally during the preseason when time is really valuable and they will be put at a disadvantage being sent to China or London or wherever. Having them do it with the pro bowl avoids those problems, plus they are already doing some substantial travel going to Hawaii.

I guess they could move the Saints to the AFC and it could be Saints against Lions, in the Colisseum...

But if you ask me they need to do it in Jerusalem, where J. Kraft has already built a stadium (although it would entail a slight change to "New England Patriarchs," we could play the Rams again and stay on theme...)

Unfortunately I think that given the current situation that would be too dangerous. :( Perhaps in the future once cooler heads have prevailed we can see something like this.

Newsflash. The NFL has told me that the Superbowl is being played in London, on the street where we Miss Gomezcat and I live, every single year from now on...

Wow this is really annoying. I'd appreciate it if no one did this every again, its just obnoxious.

Anyway, I like the idea of a Superbowl being held internationally. I'll never get to go to one so it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back