PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rolando McClain

Ochmed Jones

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
After being named SEC defensive player of the week, two Saturdays ago, he follows it up with a huge game against Ole Miss.

Nine tackles, 1 pick and at least three QB hurries.

He was all over the field and almost got an UN-roughness penalty because he tackled a running back with extreme violence.

PS: Mount Cody had another great game as well. He helped hold Ole Miss to 72 yards rushing for the game and helped cause an interception early in the game when he broke freee on the Ole Miss QB.

After being named SEC defensive player of the week, two Saturdays ago, he follows it up with a huge game against Ole Miss.

He was all over the field and almost got an UN-roughness penalty because he tackled a running back with extreme violence.

PS: Mount Cody had another great game as well. He helped hold Ole Miss to 72 yards rushing for the game and helped cause an interception early in the game when he broke freee on the Ole Miss QB.

Both are great, Bama now seems like the new LSU. I always had a lot of confidence that an LSU player could come in as a rookie and contribute. They play a very tough style of football. Saban has done the same thing with Alabama.

Hightower also looked good earlier on, I think he is banged up now.

1ST time I had a chance to sit down and watch Bama play. I thought McClain looked great. He might be playing his way out of our range though. A lot can happen between now and 1st week of December. But, a rematch of last year's SEC Championship Game Florida/Bama
should be a classic , defensive struggle.

Both are great, Bama now seems like the new LSU. I always had a lot of confidence that an LSU player could come in as a rookie and contribute. They play a very tough style of football. Saban has done the same thing with Alabama.

Hightower also looked good earlier on, I think he is banged up now.

Hightower is only a sophomore and he shreded the knee and is lost for the season. #13 Reamus is taking his place in the Bama defense.

1ST time I had a chance to sit down and watch Bama play. I thought McClain looked great. He might be playing his way out of our range though. A lot can happen between now and 1st week of December. But, a rematch of last year's SEC Championship Game Florida/Bama
should be a classic , defensive struggle.

This is my biggest fear. How does McClain make it past a gaunlet of Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland, etc.

BB can leterally use all his day one picks in the April 2010 draft on defense in two schools: Alabama and Florida and not go wrong on any of the picks.

NT Mount Cody
DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap
LB McClain
CB Hayden

This is my biggest fear. How does McClain make it past a gaunlet of Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Pittsburgh, Denver, Cleveland, etc.

BB can leterally use all his day one picks in the April 2010 draft on defense in two schools: Alabama and Florida and not go wrong on any of the picks.

NT Mount Cody
DE/OLB Carlos Dunlap
LB McClain
CB Hayden

Ha ha - so I'm not sure yet Ochmed...do you like the 'Bama prospects or not - get off the fence!

In all seriousness, McClain is a great Pats prospect. His length allows him to shed blocks well, but I've also seen him set the edge effectively. IMO he could play just about any position in our D. I think he would actually be most effective as a 3-4 WOLB for us in the Vrabel mold. I actually don't think it's impossible that he falls to within tradeup range (mid twenties).

Cody will probably go mid teens, and as effective as he is, I'm not sure the value is there for us.

Big Dunlap fan but his size/speed combo is gonna get him drafted way too early.

Haden is a stud but do we really need another corner? IMO our D needs a pass rushing threat more than anything.

Love the draft talk though...

I love McClain he is by far my favorite defensive player to watch on Saturdays. I also like Spikes too and would love to see us take either one of those guys on draft day.

On the offensive side from Bama, you obviously have to like Jones for 2011. I also like Mark Ingram he reminds me of Glenn Coffee who came out from Bama last year. They both have similar styles they keep their legs moving and will run over anything in their way. I love RB's that will lower their shoulder and fight for every single yard. Saban's a great recruiter and a great coach, I hope he can take The Tide to the National Championship Game.

if we drafted mcclain we would need him to play olb, becuz we r allready set at inside so i def dont c us goin this route unless he converts to an olb...we have mayo, guyton, mckenzie, alexander...plenty more needs elsewhere for an early draft pick...this spikes and mcclain talk seems pointless to me...

oline, te, qb, p, rb, wr, pass rusher olb/de, ilb depth in draft is a late round priority in my eyes...

I love McClain he is by far my favorite defensive player to watch on Saturdays. I also like Spikes too and would love to see us take either one of those guys on draft day.

On the offensive side from Bama, you obviously have to like Jones for 2011. I also like Mark Ingram he reminds me of Glenn Coffee who came out from Bama last year. They both have similar styles they keep their legs moving and will run over anything in their way. I love RB's that will lower their shoulder and fight for every single yard. Saban's a great recruiter and a great coach, I hope he can take The Tide to the National Championship Game.

When is comes to the 2011 draft, I think the best WR is going to be Green of Georgia. I think he is a better route runner and has better hands than Jones, who gets by mostly on size and strength.

if we drafted mcclain we would need him to play olb, becuz we r allready set at inside so i def dont c us goin this route unless he converts to an olb...we have mayo, guyton, mckenzie, alexander...plenty more needs elsewhere for an early draft pick...this spikes and mcclain talk seems pointless to me...

oline, te, qb, p, rb, wr, pass rusher olb/de, ilb depth in draft is a late round priority in my eyes...

IMO Guyton best serves the Pats as a ST demon and backup ILB. McCalin is the real deal on the inside and is a PLAYMAKER!!!!! Tackles for loss, interceptions in coverage and voilent nasty tackling, he is the perfect 3-4 ILB. He makes defensive adjustment AFTER the opposing offense changes their play. How many college ILB's can do that?

Against SC Saturday night Miles, the SC RB, fooled McClain for a nice gain. The next time SC went back to that play McClain almost killed Miles. He learns from his mistakes.

When is comes to the 2011 draft, I think the best WR is going to be Green of Georgia. I think he is a better route runner and has better hands than Jones, who gets by mostly on size and strength.

Green is Randy Moss! He is an absolute stud, right now he has a JAG throwing to him, and he is still beating people. He also blocked a FG to preserve a win. Green will be a top 5 pick come 2011 (He played last year as a true Freshman, so he can not come out any earlier than 2011 (cough, cough, Seymour pick, cough, cough). Imagine if the Pats land Green with the Raider's pick and goes on to be the next Randy Moss?

Green is Randy Moss! He is an absolute stud, right now he has a JAG throwing to him, and he is still beating people. He also blocked a FG to preserve a win. Green will be a top 5 pick come 2011 (He played last year as a true Freshman, so he can not come out any earlier than 2011 (cough, cough, Seymour pick, cough, cough). Imagine if the Pats land Green with the Raider's pick and goes on to be the next Randy Moss?

Excellent point. Poor Al Davis. Doesn't he have any children to push him aside, ala George Stienbrenner's kids?

I agree with you 100%. I've liked Green better than Jones and Floyd since last year. Green really does remind me of Randy Moss as you guys have eluded to. I mentioned Jones in my post b/c I was profiling some of Bama's stars. I think Jones will be a good WR, he reminds me of Anquan Boldin who is a very good #2/borderline #1, but I think Green is the gamebreaker/stud/Randy Moss #1 WR.

I've been hoping to land Green with that 2011 first round pick as you guys mentioned. A future WR corps of Moss (if retained), Green, Tate, Welker, and Edelman is just downright scary for other teams to have to deal with.

You guys remember Sam Huff? The 270 LB LBer who played in the late 1970s for the Pats, circa '78?

McClain is like an athletic Sam Huff who can actually play.

Alabama is the best college football team this year.

guyton is getting betta everygame, he will b a starter here...eric alexander is the st demon imo...guyton will b the starter opposite mayo imo next year...

Today's Tenn game only helped their draft stock. Two blocked kicks in one game for Cody.

You guys remember Sam Huff? The 270 LB LBer who played in the late 1970s for the Pats, circa '78?

McClain is like an athletic Sam Huff who can actually play.

Alabama is the best college football team this year.
Sorry but Sam Huff played for the Giants in the '50's. I know who your talking about but it wasn't sam huff, i think it was Sam HUNT

Last edited:
Today's Tenn game only helped their draft stock. Two blocked kicks in one game for Cody.

McClain had 7 tackles against the Volunteers and made several plays. There is a lot of tape with him playing well in coverage and against the run. If he runs good at the combine, we may lose out on a chance to draft him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back