PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rolando McClain Pro Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH 44 - you have show good intelligence in your posts....Think about what you just posted:
A) Because the level of competition at pro level well above that of collegiate level so you have to be 'fit for fight' as some say - at the top of your game physically and mentally.
b) Because pro season much longer than collegiate season.
C) because almost year round training schedule in pros places greater physical demands on body.......................

Just to add one more.. Age and longevity has to play a role in the decision making of drafting this kid... Things will only get tougher as he gets older..

interesting- a Hungarian website. Always glad to hear celebrity stories of people who have 'overcome' their disabilities.

But read as much of the Wiki article as you can........and tell me you would without a doubt pick him in the first round over all the other great ballplayers in this talent rich draft. No doctor can tell you for sure what his near future outlook will be ....(but not finishing his Pro day because of it is not a good sign). Because this disease (and this player) is a big gamble ......pure and simple.......Give me Odrick at #22 please and save the gambles for the 2nd round (DE to 3-4 OLB conversions, people with character redflags, bodies with medical concerns and yes also McClain).

Lot of guys in the draft are a big gamble. Hitting one of those gambles can put a team over the top. I don't pretend to even know how good this kid is but a lot of people seem to think he's pretty damn good and someone will take a chance. That Hardy kid doesn't even take the game serious and someone will take him. Maybe not first round but they will take him.

I guess it's just about what kind of gamble do you want to take. Would you rather bust on a kid because he can't stay healthy or a kid that just doesn't care about the game and just played to get the check?

I don't think this disease has any chance to knock this kid out of the first round.

Lot of guys in the draft are a big gamble. Hitting one of those gambles can put a team over the top. I don't pretend to even know how good this kid is but a lot of people seem to think he's pretty damn good and someone will take a chance. That Hardy kid doesn't even take the game serious and someone will take him. Maybe not first round but they will take him.

I guess it's just about what kind of gamble do you want to take. Would you rather bust on a kid because he can't stay healthy or a kid that just doesn't care about the game and just played to get the check?

I don't think this disease has any chance to knock this kid out of the first round.

I can easily follow your line of reasoning.....and furthermore think that if McClain drops into the 20's, then some team will consider him too good a value to pass up (even with Crohns disease). That much I agree with you on.

But as far as NEP with 4 high draft picks - no need to take a gamble at #22 due to cost of first round picks and also getting this player for 5 years. Thats five wasted years if you go for the 'boom or bust' type - or one with a significant medical concern (ditto with Sapp and the possibly 'bum' knees).
Give me at #22 a Warren type player that can be a good dependible starter at RDE for 5 years. That should not be hard to get in THIS draft in first round.

Then with 3 picks in second I can see taking 1-2 gambles. But not too many as we NEED this season a starting TE, we NEED another WR on game day roster (at least a serviceable #3), Pats need an upgrade at OLB if they are to be in superbowl contention.

The needs are real but thankfully the 'stars are all aligned' this year with a very good draft and 4 high picks. With TB and BB running the show, we don't need to go 'ALL IN' on boom / bust players to put us over the top. We just need a few more dependable starters at a few key positions to put us in serious championship contention again. I don't see the need to take gambles and piss away a golden opportunity (many high picks in a deep & top heavy draft.)

What are the thoughts of looking into Sean Weatherspoon as a 3-4 ILB? I know the focus has been on McClain and Spikes, but Weatherspoon blew up the Combine with his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back