Roger Goodell sinks further into self-parody

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Some years from now, an autopsy will be performed on Roger Goodell revealing that he was a semi-sentient cyborg programmed to feel nothing while autonomously deconstructing the NFL in relentless pursuit of $$$.

Today's examples:

Roger Goodell says he admires Michael Vick | ProFootballTalk

Seriously, folks. Can we really trust a man who gushes admiration for Ron Mexico to run this league?

Goodell says support for expanded playoffs is "tremendous" | ProFootballTalk

Claims Roger: "We believe competitively it could make even our races toward the end of our season even more exciting with more teams vying for playoff positions, which is great for our fans."

Not that the fans should have any input on seeing the regular season devalued via 8-8 teams make the playoffs along with prospective elimination of one of the two playoff byes in each conference. Roger knows best, right? What's good for the game and the fans vs. more $$$. Isn't the choice obvious?

And for those of you who parrot the fantasy that Goodell merely is a puppet of the owners doing their bidding: this soulless stuffed shirt is more powerful than you realize. His autonomy in hatching initiatives and SELLING them to ownership with trumped-up claims of "this is what the fans really want" is well documented.

Oh Roger. You slick, mechanical rascal ...

Attachments

• Goodell-lewis 2.jpg
    Goodell-lewis 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:
And for those of you who parrot the fantasy that Goodell merely is a puppet of the owners doing their bidding: this soulless stuffed shirt is more powerful than you realize.

So now the multi-millionaire and billionaires who are the NFL owners are so weak-willed that Goodell holds them so spellbound that they vote for Goodell's proposals even though they don't actually like them? Riiiiiiiiiight.

What's good for the game and the fans vs. more $$$. Isn't the choice obvious?

If you're an owner the choice is obvious: $$$.

I can't believe anyone could be naive enough to think that owners care even a little bit about the fans, except to the extent that caring (or pretending to care) about the fans brings in more $$$.

The owners ARE going to make money as long as there is an NFL or a reasonable fascimile. Owners like Ralph Wilson demonstrated again and again it's not always about the money. I know for a FACT that Krafty Bob and his son are fully aware of the feelings of Patriots fan towards mongo Moosedell. I firmly believe they run THEIR business to make money first, but with an eye to the wishes and needs of the fanbase.

One slip, one more error by the monocular bull and ol' barging Roger may find his 45 million dollar salary is NOT guaranteed. I believe one of his harebrained schemes will, in time, come back to bite him in the azz. The total clusterfack as far as defensive PI calls and the stupendously arcane and ultimately moronic yearly rule changes is already showing ripples of dissatisfaction among the players. Let's not even BEGIN to factor in what the fans think of this ridiculous bullshyt dreamt up by the Goondell Conservancy.

I mean, you can't seriously sit at your terminal and type in you agree with that moronic ex-head ref Pereira who defended the Welker cross body block on Talib in REAL TIME ,with the replays shown worldwide clearly showing he HAD TO BE BLIND OR NUTS. These things will NOT stop occurring, they will increase. Entropy. Sure, 18 games may fly for a year or two before all the stats come in, but when the Super Bowl sports a matchup of Mark Sanchez versus Tim Tebow and a cast of 2nd and 3rd stringers reffed by Jerome Boger and Dino Paganelli, the fans are going to begin making choices with their monetary layouts vis a vis this sports league.

Some years from now, an autopsy will be performed on Roger Goodell revealing that he was a semi-sentient cyborg programmed to feel nothing while autonomously deconstructing the NFL in relentless pursuit of $$$.

Today's examples:

Seriously, folks. Can we really trust a man who gushes admiration for Ron Mexico to run this league?

Goodell says support for expanded playoffs is ?tremendous? | ProFootballTalk

Claims Roger: "We believe competitively it could make even our races toward the end of our season even more exciting with more teams vying for playoff positions, which is great for our fans."

Not that the fans should have any input on seeing the regular season devalued via 8-8 teams make the playoffs along with prospective elimination of one of the two playoff byes in each conference. Roger knows best, right? What's good for the game and the fans vs. more $$$. Isn't the choice obvious?

And for those of you who parrot the fantasy that Goodell merely is a puppet of the owners doing their bidding: this soulless stuffed shirt is more powerful than you realize. His autonomy in hatching initiatives and SELLING them to ownership with trumped-up claims of "this is what the fans really want" is well documented.

The fact that Goodell went on record with such a statement about a man who received a conviction for such heinous acts of violence against innocent dogs is grounds for removal as commissioner in my opinion.

Several of those dogs were shot; at least two were were hosed down, then electrocuted. Three dogs were hanged, according to a report by the USDA inspector general, "by placing a nylon cord over a 2 x 4 that was nailed to two trees;" three more dogs were drowned "by putting the dogs' heads in a 5 gallon bucket of water."

Vick, with his partner, Quanis Phillips, killed yet another dog "by slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog's back or neck." When another of his dogs was disqualified after jumping out of the ring during a fight, Vick had his associate, Purnell Peace, shoot that dog in the head with a .22 caliber pistol.

Reminder: Michael Vick's Dogs Were Shot, Electrocuted, Hanged and Beaten to Death

In my opinion, Vick should have never been permitted to play in the NFL again, and he is one of the worst things to ever be associated with the league. Vick is selfish and the only season in which he performed at a high level coincidently was the year he had filed for bankruptcy and needed a payday. Vick is in the same scum category as Hernandez in my book, I do not want to hear that it was his culture because you know what Hernandez culture was that of gangbangers and they kill each other so is Goodell going admire him too.

So now the multi-millionaire and billionaires who are the NFL owners are so weak-willed that Goodell holds them so spellbound that they vote for Goodell's proposals even though they don't actually like them? Riiiiiiiiiight.
Who do you think is/was a greater "steward" of the game -- Tagliabue or Goodell? There's a distinction between maximizing profits at the expense of everything (running your golden goose 'til it collapses and dies) and having the wisdom to preserve and nurture the game's essence en route to making money. Goodell has been entrusted by the owners to lead the way. I'm not alone in believing that his approach has lacked wisdom at many turns.

If you're an owner the choice is obvious: $$$.
Yes, but not at the expense of wrecking things in the process.

I can't believe anyone could be naive enough to think that owners care even a little bit about the fans, except to the extent that caring (or pretending to care) about the fans brings in more $$$.
Some owners have demonstrated they care quite a bit about the fans. Some less so. The smartest ones realize that demonstrably caring about their fan base helps to maximize profits; the two are not mutually exclusive. To believe otherwise is "naive."

A good owner, and/or salesman, realizes that it's great to maximize profits, but to have a sustainable company, it is essential that the product remain valuable to the fans. Interest will wane (or discontinue to grow) if the fans feel disrespected.

As we know, the NFL has reached an amazing level of popularity and public acceptance; and I'm surprised by how FEW complaints we get about all of the recent rule changes.

I'm all for player safety, but I hate P.R. for the sake of it, and I can't stand good ole' Goodell. He reminds me of the people in my life who will come up and give you a huge hug, and then go and talk about you behind your back. I have no idea who he is; other than a phony.

I would much prefer a traditionalist who tries to preserve the integrity of the game, while making obvious modernizations to the business aspect, than a guy who is totally changing the on-field product.

The game has been plenty competitive for years, and if you want a SAFE job, don't compete in the highest level of contact-based professional athletics.

Sorry for jumping from topic to topic, but hopefully you get my gist.

A good owner, and/or salesman, realizes that it's great to maximize profits, but to have a sustainable company, it is essential that the product remain valuable to the fans. Interest will wane (or discontinue to grow) if the fans feel disrespected.

As we know, the NFL has reached an amazing level of popularity and public acceptance; and I'm surprised by how FEW complaints we get about all of the recent rule changes.

I'm all for player safety, but I hate P.R. for the sake of it, and I can't stand good ole' Goodell. He reminds me of the people in my life who will come up and give you a huge hug, and then go and talk about you behind your back. I have no idea who he is; other than a phony.

I would much prefer a traditionalist who tries to preserve the integrity of the game, while making obvious modernizations to the business aspect, than a guy who is totally changing the on-field product.

The game has been plenty competitive for years, and if you want a SAFE job, don't compete in the highest level of contact-based professional athletics.

Sorry for jumping from topic to topic, but hopefully you get my gist.
EXCELLENT post! (You nailed it with the graph I put in bold -- same thing I was trying to say yet more succinct.)

Today's examples:

Goodell says support for expanded playoffs is ?tremendous? | ProFootballTalk

That picture should tell anyone all there is to know about this pusillanimous pile of putrescence.

And shame on Tagliabue for not suspending Ray-Ray for the entire 2000 season in the first place.

Today's examples:

Ignore the ridiculously misleading Florio-made headline, and tell us what, specifically, Goodell says that has you so upset. I am just not seeing much in the following quote that is egregiously horrendous:

“I think Michael is a young man who made a tragic mistake. He paid a very heavy price for it. But I’ve seen him, in everything he’s done, exceed expectations. He has worked very hard to be a positive force in a lot of different areas. And I think that’s something I admire about him. When we went through the process of reviewing whether he would enter back into the league, he demonstrated he’s somebody who’s committed to saying, ‘I’m going to do this the right way. I’m going to be a positive force.’ And he has. I’m proud of the work he’s done.”

Ignore the ridiculously misleading Florio-made headline, and tell us what, specifically, Goodell says that has you so upset. I am just not seeing much in the following quote that is egregiously horrendous:

“I think Michael is a young man who made a tragic mistake. He paid a very heavy price for it. But I’ve seen him, in everything he’s done, exceed expectations. He has worked very hard to be a positive force in a lot of different areas. And I think that’s something I admire about him. When we went through the process of reviewing whether he would enter back into the league, he demonstrated he’s somebody who’s committed to saying, ‘I’m going to do this the right way. I’m going to be a positive force.’ And he has. I’m proud of the work he’s done.”
OK, I'll translate it for you: "Of course, we all know that Michael could not have possibly 'rehabilitated' himself in such a short period of time from sadistically sociopathic dog killer, pathological liar and felonious gambler to model citizen. But the fact of the matter is, folks, that his value to the NFL's burgeoning fantasy football initiative was, and is, worth many millions of dollars. That was enough for me not only to hasten his return to the league, but also to surround him with skilled handlers who have done a superb job of giving this abidingly evil yet athletically gifted young man an image makeover that has effectively hoodwinked the masses, almost fooling even myself! Michael is an exciting player who keeps the dollars rollin' in. For that, I admire him."

By the way, there was nothing at all misleading about PFT's headline. Goodell is quoted directly as saying he admires Vick.

Vick's a bad person and Goodell's remarks are cheap and empty, but there are a lot of bad people in the NFL and elsewhere in life and, with his debt to society paid, he shouldn't have been 'banned from the NFL' or anything. You're welcome, of course, to rake him over the coals of public opinion as much as you want, however, noting that he is pretty objectively a bad person.

Vick's a bad person and Goodell's remarks are cheap and empty, but there are a lot of bad people in the NFL and elsewhere in life and, with his debt to society paid, he shouldn't have been 'banned from the NFL' or anything. You're welcome, of course, to rake him over the coals of public opinion as much as you want, however, noting that he is pretty objectively a bad person.
Why shouldn't he have been banned? I know why he wasn't, but the league was not "required" to reinstate him. And the notion he was rehabbed because he spent some time behind bars "paying his debt to society" is questionable at best.

Let's say Hernandez is found not guilty but is not acquitted as innocent. Does he get reinstated after doing a Vick-style apology tour? THAT would be one to watch.

OK, I'll translate it for you:
So, in order to make Goodell's words seem bad, you can't reference what he actually said. You have to put words in his mouth and criticize him for things he never said.
By the way, there was nothing at all misleading about PFT's headline. Goodell is quoted directly as saying he admires Vick.
No, he didn't say he admires Mike Vick. He said he admires what Vick has done since returning to the league.

I'll ask again: What did Goodell say (and please use the actual quote instead of your made up one) that upsets you so much?

Tunescribes hate tour against Goodell is getting pretty embarrasing.

Goodell.gif

"Vick is back... KA-CHING! More playoff games... KA-CHING! Longer season... KA-CHING! Fantasy football... KA-CHING! Get out my way, homes... I be the money muh-SHEEN!!!" LOL

So, in order to make Goodell's words seem bad, you can't reference what he actually said. You have to put words in his mouth and criticize him for things he never said.
No, he didn't say he admires Mike Vick. He said he admires what Vick has done since returning to the league.

I'll ask again: What did Goodell say (and please use the actual quote instead of your made up one) that upsets you so much?

It was a "mistake."

Intentionally killing "A" dog is not a mistake.....never mind the slaughterhouse and torture chamber that was Vick's home.

Mistake, my ass. **** you and Goodell.

It was a "mistake."

Intentionally killing "A" dog is not a mistake.....never mind the slaughterhouse and torture chamber that was Vick's home.

Mistake, my ass. **** you and Goodell.
Really? Your whole hatred of this is based on the fact that Goodell called Vick "man who made a very tragic mistake"?? Really???

Yeah I can see how that justifies such irrational hatred of Goodell. :rolleyes:

And thanks for proving how mature you are with the "**** you" conclusion to your post. Nothing makes someone look more foolish than a completely uncalled for personal attack.

Goodell is just awful he has to be the worst Commissioner that any sport has ever hade he is just awful. All we can do now is sit back and laugh.

If you don't get the point behind my satirical "translation" of what he said, you'll never understand. Clonamery was more direct in his assessment and that didn't register with you either. Apparently, more than airplanes, clouds and birds zooms over your head.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back