Roger Goodell Sends a Letter to NFL Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Roger Goodell Sends a Letter to NFL Fans
By: Ian Logue

Patriots.com posted a letter Monday morning that was sent to all NFL fans in their database from commissioner Roger Goodell, and the letter addressed a variety of topics. ...

Unless this says he apologies for being a pathetic, CEO with no backbone or leadership qualities I don't want to read it.

That's just peachy. In fact, I'd like to send him two letters: F and U.

Douche.

Got my copy this morning. Unfortunately, they don't give a return address.

Dear Pats Fans,

I bleed Gang Green.

Sincerely,
Roger BADdell.

Wow, they are still intent on forcing an 18 game schedule. The owners are just so greedy.

Wow, they are still intent on forcing an 18 game schedule. The owners are just so greedy.

I agree. I hope the players stand their ground and don't cave in to this
absurd idea.
The idea that swapping 2 pre-season games for two regular season
all out battle games should make this idea a simple thing for Players to
agree too is insane.

In preseason there are a lot of non starters playing significant minutes for
evaluation purposes.
In regular season games the team is playing it's starter, the best players
they got. Now they want to extend the minutes of those starters so
the greed owners can get more loot at the expense of our best players bodies. Absurd.:mad:

I would rather not see football next year than to see this happen to our
players.

They justify it by saying that fans don't want preseason games. They never suggest just doing away with two preseason games and replacing them with scrimmages that fans can attend for FREE. They're tied to a 20-game slate for profit and now figure they can squeeze more money out of concessions and parking by switching to 18 regular-season games.

Here's how I read it:

We want players to be safer. No, really! Look at all the fines we've given out for bad hits. So, to ensure players are safer; we're going to take off two games where players relax and aren't as worried about injury. We're going to add those two games to the end of the schedule when players are more tired and worn out, and when the weather is colder and harder to deal with. See! Safety!

What's funny is he says all this in a straight tone. How do you not see player safety does NOT = more games? It boggles the mind.

Of course... this is after Gooddell's crusade this season of heavily penalizing brutal hits in the interest of the health of the players. This is a fine reason to crackdown on illegal hits (not necessarily some of the ones we've seen), but don't do it, and then in the next breath talk about an 18-game season that will unquestionably wear down players even more.

I give all the credit in the world to the first person to change the good to bad and refer to the commissioner as Roger Baddell. Is it juvenile? Yes. Is it simple? Yes. But it is 100% on the money.

I didn't read mine. I saw who it was from and thought, "Eh, whatever." I might save it and read it later. Not a fan of the commish. Never have been.

They justify it by saying that fans don't want preseason games. They never suggest just doing away with two preseason games and replacing them with scrimmages that fans can attend for FREE. They're tied to a 20-game slate for profit and now figure they can squeeze more money out of concessions and parking by switching to 18 regular-season games.

That's what I also don't understand. Why is the 20 game slate required? Like you said, money. They're not worried about the quality of pre-season games, if they were, they would just cut it to 16/2 seasons, they want to have as many games as possible where fans fill the seats. They know the 4th PS game is a joke, which loses them revenue.

I'm really torn on the 18 game season. As a fan I'd like to see more games, who wouldn't? There are a lot of drawbacks to it though..

A) Pats old records become obsolete
B) More games = more margin for error. This lowers the importance of each week by a fraction. Not a whole lot, I mean it's only 2 games, but we all know the more games, the less each individual one means (see baseball)
C) Players really should get a raise. I know it doesn't really effect me, the viewer, but in the side of entertaining millionaires vs boring billionaires, I'm on the millionaires side.

If there is a lockout, It's going to be really horrible to see someone like Brady miss two full seasons in his prime, that's for sure.

I got the letter this a.m. and before I read a word thought, here's the spin!

yup.

Maybe fans would enjoy the preseason game experience if not paying regular season prices. Leave the season alone.

He says that they are facing a tough economic climate. Wasn't there a big to-do about how the NFL was not allowing the PA to open the books? If they are telling the truth then shouldn't they have nothing to hide? What's more, the player's salaries are based on a percentage of revenue, not a fixed amount. So if it's true that the league is struggling, then their revenues would decline and so would the players' salaries (which would be proportionate). Something smells.

We fans should get together and write ol' Roger a letter back telling him we don't want 2 more regular season games and suggesting the things mentioned here, like either eliminate 2 pre-season games altogether or turn them into scrimmages that fans can attend for free. We should also say we don't buy for a minute that the NFL has been adversely affected by the economy. If anything, the NFL has survivied, and even thrived, better than 99% of the other businesses out there.

That letter arrived just in time. i'd just used my last roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back