PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell Press Conference

SJW Mike Florio steps it up:

Sorry, but that’s not nearly good enough. One of the league’s billion-dollar network partners has pinned on the Ravens and the NFL a report that, if accurate, should result in the termination of the employment of Cass, Newsome, and perhaps even Harbaugh. Likewise, real questions should be raised about Steve Bisciotti’s fitness to own the team, if the report is accurate and if he had any knowledge of the coverup. (Or perhaps even if he didn’t.)

And while some would say the report pulls the spotlight away from the NFL and puts it on the Ravens, the ESPN report makes the NFL’s complete failure to seek the video of the incident even more suspicious. If the report is accurate, the Ravens and the NFL didn’t get the tape perhaps because they didn’t want to see it.

Which could make that bombshell report from the Associated Press even more plausible, and troubling.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-makes-it-clear-cass-knew-contents-of-video/

I find your post misguided.

I would counter your statement by stating that prior to exacting punishment on a player (or coach), Goodell has a long track record of taking an exhaustive approach in gathering and evaluating all the evidence put in front of him. He has publicly stated he found Rice's statements ambiguous. Do you really think he would have suspended a player for only two games is he was being given the run-around? You are right-he is very smart which makes it even more likely he saw the tapes in February, understood the gravity of the issue and caved in to Bisciotti's request for leniency because it was the path of least resistence.

To throw NFL fans in blame pool along with the players, the teams and the league for their irresponsibility is absurd. My dollars paid on anything related to the NFL is to the benefit of my entertainment alone. To imply that I knowingly (or unknowingly) contribute and enable knowingly corrupt businessmen and domestically-abusive players is insulting.

Well to assume the media and unnamed sources are telling the truth is naive as best, we all know the media is the worst part of all this.

Sorry I disagree, if you watch and spend money on the nfl your part of the problem. Only your time watching and dollars will change any of this. I didn't watch a single game last weekend, I didn't spend a nickle on the nfl last weekend. But I'm as guilty in supporting bad policy as anyone here spending their time and money on the nfl. If you support the nfl in any way your part of the problem....it is about dollars. Sorry if you find it insulating, not sure why, but if the baby is ugly call it ugly.

One last thing, where is the nflpa on this, they are going to represent an animal, if the league knew about the videos you can be sure the nflpa did, they have as far a reach as the head offices.

Last edited:
Hmm not sure if this posted yet, during the press conference. Benjy Bronk of Howard Stern Show interrupts..

Nonsense. The crime rate in the NFL is lower than the crime rate of the general U.S. population. There's no fault of the fans for watching games. Such a notion is absurd.

The bolded is simply not true.
Your wrong on both accounts. If you spend money on the nfl your sending the message that you don't care about what's happening.

Second, your wrong because in my career we have let go plenty of people for being accused of a crime, dwi etc. you sign a personal conduct policy as with most companies. In my state it is a right to work state I can fire you for any reason I want. If someone sucks at what they do or they do something that is beyond the personal conduct policy I will fire them and have with no repercussions.

I've never met Roger Goodell, but I've known several people like him over the years.

He fits the pattern of a person of average intelligence and modest talent who manages to figure out how to make a lot of money by assisting or otherwise enabling a wealthy individual or family (in this case, 32 wealthy individuals or families) in a way that they find useful. These folks always begin by gaining the confidence and trust of people who are skeptical of the motives of anyone who tries to get close to them; this can take a few months or several years. They then demonstrate a talent that fits exactly what their wealthy patron(s) need(s) to succeed or get even richer than they already are. Most importantly, they show that they will be subservient and bend at all times to the will of their benefactor.

Roger Goodell fits that pattern. He is an administrator/caretaker who knows how to operate within the boundaries he is given. The problem is that when those boundaries are blurred or, in this case, collapse altogether they are like fish out of water and fall apart. They only know how to function by one set of rules; when those rules change, they are lost.

In the final analysis, Goodell is "hired help" to these 32 families and they will jettison him like bilge water as soon as they decide that it is in their economic interest to do so. That day will only come if sponsors, commentators and fans (especially women) keep up the pressure. If this all quietly dies down, he will be Commissioner until 2019 when his contract expires.

Well to assume the media and unnamed sources are telling the truth is naive as best, we all know the media is the worst part of all this.

Everyone wants to assume the commish is the bad guy, did anyone ever think these sources are the bad guys, that they want turmoil for the nfl? Just think about it.

Why are you implying that there is some kind of conspiracy or vindictive element in the media towards the NFL? Do you really think it is in ABC/ESPN's best interests to put the NFL in a bad light? Have you seen how much money they pay the NFL for broadcasting rights and what the network receives in ad revenue?

Sorry I disagree, if you watch and spend money on the nfl your part of the problem. Only your time watching and dollars will change any of this.

I didn't watch a single game last weekend, I didn't spend a nickle on the nfl last weekend. But I'm as guilty in supporting bad policy as anyone here spending their time and money on the nfl. If you support the nfl in any way your part of the problem....it is about dollars

At the end of the day as others have stated we fans are much more to blame because we are still watching, going to games, buying stuff etc.

To say that the average NFL fan's money empowers Ray Rice to land his fist against a woman's jaw is again, insulting. He could be working at a 7 Eleven or IBM and the same thing will happen. It's all on him. Now, to say my money that goes upstream to corporations and teams is the reason Bisciotti and Goody decided to put the all mighty dollar ahead of social responsibility is also a major stretch. My money is part of the cycle- not the influencing element in the decision making involved.

Last edited:
This NFL thing is just dumb! I could care less what the NFL head offices did or didn't do. The real tragedy here is that Rice didn't go to jail because if it was me or you we would. There should be much more attention on the NJ DA than the NFL we should be much more worried about the complete idiocy of our government in general and yet the media is much more interested in this stupid story than the real problems we have, there are more problems in our government than we can imagine and we sure seem more worried about the NFL. It is so sad, I spent an entire career in the military, now corporate, for this? Wow.

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500 employees and has the following statistics:

*29 have been accused of spousal abuse
*7 have been arrested for fraud
*19 have been accused of writing bad checks
*117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
*3 have done time for assault
*71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
*14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
*8 have been arrested for shoplifting
*21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
*84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year Can you guess which organization this is?

GIVE UP YET?????

IT IS THE 535 MEMBERS OF THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS. The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

And we are worried about the NFL wow.

Last edited:
Then why does the NFLPA negotiate with the NFL?
?????

The NFLPA is the organization that represents the players (the worker) and the NFL is the organization that represents the team owners (the employee). Both the worker and employer are represented.

If fans truly cared about football, they would not want the NFL to be a police organization and the arbiter of morality. The NFL is ill-suited to be the entity that decides what is wrong and the punishments for those actions outside the workplace.

The NFL is a business run by businessmen. To fans, football is a passion, and we care about professional football. What happens in the sport strongly affects our emotions. Not watching games is not the only avenue to be taken seriously. The issue is not football or the business itself. The issue is with its central command and in this case, 1 of the 32 companies (Ravens). Roger Goodell does not equal football. And let's be honest, protest is not a strength of the public. It's not how we express disapproval.

Of course, this scandal will fade to near-oblivion and, at most, a scapegoat will resign. This instance of ignoring important information is consistent with the perception built from the concussion issue.

Should the NFL commissioner be a CEO of a business? Or should he be a steward for the game? I think most view former commissioner Paul T. as balancing the two responsibilities well. Former NHL Presidents include Frank Calder, who served for 25 years, dedicating his life to the betterment of the sport. Former NHL President Clarence Campbell served 30 years after him. While their livelihood was likely comfortable, they were stewards of the game and guided the sports--not just the businesses.

Rightly or wrongly, my visceral reaction to Goodell over the years has been that he is a profiteer, who will leverage his prominent position in American culture into lucrative endeavors in his post-tenure--and that he is not a steward for the game, but a CEO and a suit. It's not about the X's and O's, nor the Billy's and Joe's, but ROI and calculation.

Your wrong on both accounts. If you spend money on the nfl your sending the message that you don't care about what's happening.

Second, your wrong because in my career we have let go plenty of people for being accused of a crime, dwi etc. you sign a personal conduct policy as with most companies. In my state it is a right to work state I can fire you for any reason I want. If someone sucks at what they do or they do something that is beyond the personal conduct policy I will fire them and have with no repercussions.

I'm not wrong on either count. Also, your personal stories are not the whole of corporate America. Perhaps your apparent confusion about that ("your wrong because in my career") is where your error lies.

If fans truly cared about football, they would not want the NFL to be a police organization and the arbiter of morality. The NFL is ill-suited to be the entity that decides what is wrong and the punishments for those actions outside the workplace.

I hear you but it's unrealistic. America has always glamorized it's athletes and they are unfortunately propped up as push men for products. In addition, the NFL's ability to generate revenue is hinged on the public image of it's "product" which is built on the integrity of game and the players who perform- who are bundled as part of the packaged product. If the NFL were turn a blind eye towards players who did drugs, committed violence and acted in ways that were not socially appropriate, the "product" would suffer and revenues would certainly decline. The game and the player's image cannot simply be de-coupled from one another.

Check out the NBA before Bird and Magic. The league was about ready to fold because the commish before Stern turned a blind eye towards players who were unsavory.

If you wish, we can discuss what kind of corporations would immediately fire a key employee if he we arrested for spousal or child abuse. We could even discuss which companies would fire a key employee who was accused of a capital crime.

To suggest that the norm in the corporate world is to fire an employee who has been arrested is a strange notion. In any case, this is not the norm. If the offense is serious enough, an employee might be suspended, usually WITH pay, unless the arrest involves the company in some way.

Suspension with or without pay is much different than firing.
=============

And just BTW, in the case of abuse, many corporations would have very, very different view from many posters. They would allow the police process to continue on its course. They might discuss these personal issues with the employee and "require" counseling. THAT is the way many corporations treat key employees. They do not fire them, lose a key employee and give that employee to the competitor of his choice. In the current situation, it is the TEAMS that are in similar situations. Different teams react in different ways toward personal problems (and crimes) of their key employees. And this is as it should be.

I think that it is a sad commentary on a corporation to suggest firing as the proper way to treat a key employee arrested for behavior outside the workplace.

Make no mistake in the corporate world if someone gets arrested your likely to get fired immediately, I have had to do it, regardless of the case status so the nfl players that have not been fired are still getting a better deal than you or me. Due process my a... That could take a long time and in my world you can get fired for no reason at all...right to work or not work, these guys have it made and we side with them, doesn't make sense.

Breaking news!

Roger Goodell's Amazon shopping cart was leaked online when his laptop was left unattended during his press conference:

goodell2.jpg

I hear you but it's unrealistic. America has always glamorized it's athletes and they are unfortunately propped up as push men for products. In addition, the NFL's ability to generate revenue is hinged on the public image of it's "product" which is built on the integrity of game and the players who perform- who are bundled as part of the packaged product. If the NFL were turn a blind eye towards players who did drugs, committed violence and acted in ways that were not socially appropriate, the "product" would suffer and revenues would certainly decline. The game and the player's image cannot simply be de-coupled from one another.

Check out the NBA before Bird and Magic. The league was about ready to fold because the commish before Stern turned a blind eye towards players who were unsavory.

Tagliabue's NFL pretty much puts the kibosh on your theory.

Perhaps my question was lost. I'll be more concise this time.

Please list the players who have been given suspensions of more than 2 games for the spousal abuse. Please also indicate which were first punishments by the NFL and which were repeats.

To me, the answer to this question is important in understanding whether the 2 game suspension was INCONSISTENT with the practices of the NFL.

Clearly, the penalty for abuse was too lenient. Even so, we should understand that it is not the NFL that is the primary punisher of these crimes. It is the courts. Any NFL punishment is in addition to police and court penalties/ It has been changed in the past month and it will be changed again before next season. Penalties for drug offenses have also changed, and will likely be changed again before next season.

I like Condoleeza Rice but she knows nothing about running a sports league so I can't say I endorse her for the position.
The media loves taking down powerful people and/or organizations, so that's when they pretend to have morals.

This is a person that was Provost of Stanford University from 1993-1999, National Security Advisor from 2001-2005, and Secretary of State from 2005-2009. But, she couldn't handle being NFL Commissioner? That would be too big of a job for her? Really??

I understand that some may not have approved of the policies of the President she served under. As Secretary of State, she could probably somewhat influence those policies, but at the end of the day she had to carry them out unless she resigned, which would cause her to lose any influence on these national policies.

Apart from whether or not you agree with the Presidents they served under, the idea that the job of NFL Commissioner would be too big for someone who had served as Secretary of State for four years (whether we are talking about Colin Powell, Condi Rice, or Hillary Clinton) seems ludicrous to me. Really??

One could make a plausible argument that US Secretary of State is the second most difficult job in the world after US President. I would think that on an ordinary work day a Secretary of State would have 10 world crises with numerous human lives at stake that would be much more difficult to deal with than this thing that Goodell is flubbing up so bad.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't the states and local governments decide the punishments for Rice and Peterson? Is this really our system of justice?

1) A person commits a crime.

2) The police and courts make their determination and punishment (including civil actions if appropriate).

3) Employers ADD whatever economic punishments they choose at any points they wish (at accusation, at arrest, and at conviction).

4) An association of employers ADDS whatever additional punishments it chooses.

==========

Personally, I think that the REAL issue is that society, in many jurisdictions, does not have severe enough punishments for spousal and child abuse. I would also note that, in many jurisdictions, the laws are misused to harass fathers, coaches and others.

Why shouldn't the states and local governments decide the punishments for Rice and Peterson? Is this really our system of justice?

1) A person commits a crime.

2) The police and courts make their determination and punishment (including civil actions if appropriate).

3) Employers ADD whatever economic punishments they choose at any points they wish (at accusation, at arrest, and at conviction).

4) An association of employers ADDS whatever additional punishments it chooses.

==========

Personally, I think that the REAL issue is that society, in many jurisdictions, does not have severe enough punishments for spousal and child abuse. I would also note that, in many jurisdictions, the laws are misused to harass fathers, coaches and others.

The states do decide the punishments. In RI the law escalates from 1st offense to 3rd offense. Abatterer with a 3rd offense faces up to ten years in prison.

The NFL can add whatever punishment it sees fit...in the Rice case it was 2 games suspension, then out for the year and now maybe 6 games. It's a terrible message the league is sending, through their own bungling and indecision.

If the laws are misused in jurisdictions affecting YOU, perhaps you should attempt to DO SOMETHING about it. The DV laws are NOT intended to EVER harass fathers, have ZERO to do with coaches and of the "others" I have no idea what you mean.

Child abuse statutes have nothing to do with coaches? Really?

I understand the INTENT of domestic violence and child abuse legislation. In the Northeast, the law is reasonable good.

However, I can only say that you are naive if you believe that the statutes have never been abused by a vindictive mother or someone who wants to harm a coach. Vindictive parents and even bystanders have caused much harm to innocent coaches.

IMHO, there is a very broad spectrum of societal standards and public actions thoughout the US. This is true for domestic violence, child abuse, and sexual harassment.

The states do decide the punishments. In RI the law escalates from 1st offense to 3rd offense. Abatterer with a 3rd offense faces up to ten years in prison.

The NFL can add whatever punishment it sees fit...in the Rice case it was 2 games suspension, then out for the year and now maybe 6 games. It's a terrible message the league is sending, through their own bungling and indecision.

If the laws are misused in jurisdictions affecting YOU, perhaps you should attempt to DO SOMETHING about it. The DV laws are NOT intended to EVER harass fathers, have ZERO to do with coaches and of the "others" I have no idea what you mean.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back