PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell Press Conference

Nice redirect. Part of the structure of the association is to grant the league the right and responsibility to discipline BOTH player and employees.

There's no redirect at all. The CBA grants authority, which is not the same thing as what you're claiming.

The NFL Commissioner’s extensive powers to discipline players are laid out in Article 46 of the CBA. It begins, “[a]ll disputes involving a fine or suspension . . . involving action taken against a player by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football, will be processed exclusively as follows . . .” and thereafter explains the process by which Rice and the NFLPA would be informed of the discipline and have the ability to appeal same.

Separately, the NFL Personal Conduct Policy grants the NFL Commissioner “full authority to impose discipline as warranted” when he learns of a player who does not conduct himself “in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful.” Not living up to these standards is typically referred to as a player exhibiting conduct that is detrimental to the league. The NFL Personal Conduct Policy expressly provides the NFL Commissioner with the power to discipline players in the form of “banishment from the League.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenh...-drafted-nfl-collective-bargaining-agreement/

There's no redirect at all. The CBA grants authority, which is not the same thing as what you're claiming.
What is it you imagine I'm claiming?

Mike Vacarro slices and dices Roncodell like a Veg-O-Matic...

http://nypost.com/2014/09/19/roger-goodell-revealed-as-the-inept-robot-we-feared-he-was/

Judging by this turn in the public spotlight, with the interrogation lamps turned up high, he looks every bit as overmatched by the job as we suspected he was these past few weeks, something that was crystallized with one question posed by his friends at TMZ, wondering how in the world the NFL never saw the Ray Rice elevator video, a position Goodell steadfastly stood by:

and the first Watergate reference....like I stated earlier...it's a full blown scandal now

Actually, the integrity in question was Goodell’s, and it was Goodell who did that, Goodell who kept replying to individual aspects of the league’s woes: “We’re going to put that on the table,” Goodell who gave a master class to a fresh generation as to what the old Watergate-era term “non-denial denial” means, Goodell who insisted — somewhat pathetically, to be blunt — when asked if he thought he had any reason to fear for his job: “I believe I have the support of the owners.”

Wow.

Shortest presser ever.

As I transcribed it read:

PLEASE

DON'T

TAKE

MY

FORTY

MILLION

A

YEAR

"This is outrageous!"

"I agree! This shouldn't be allowed to stand!"

"So I'll see you at the game this weekend?"

"Oh hell yeah. Go team!"

Let's be honest here. We claim the owners aren't acting because all they care about is money, yet the fans aren't doing anything either because all they care about is entertainment.
That's what you call hypocrisy. Unless you're going to boycott the NFL and not watch anymore of the games, it's getting harder by the day to take the phony outrage seriously.

The ratings for the NFL haven't been affected in the slightest since this happened, so maybe we should climb off our high horses about how selfish the owners are, and how they're totally lacking in morals.

When you protest by spending your Sunday afternoon watching old movies on TBS instead of football, I'll take the criticisms of the owners priorities more seriously.

The NFL is a business run by businessmen. To fans, football is a passion, and we care about professional football. What happens in the sport strongly affects our emotions. Not watching games is not the only avenue to be taken seriously. The issue is not football or the business itself. The issue is with its central command and in this case, 1 of the 32 companies (Ravens). Roger Goodell does not equal football. And let's be honest, protest is not a strength of the public. It's not how we express disapproval.

Of course, this scandal will fade to near-oblivion and, at most, a scapegoat will resign. This instance of ignoring important information is consistent with the perception built from the concussion issue.

Should the NFL commissioner be a CEO of a business? Or should he be a steward for the game? I think most view former commissioner Paul T. as balancing the two responsibilities well. Former NHL Presidents include Frank Calder, who served for 25 years, dedicating his life to the betterment of the sport. Former NHL President Clarence Campbell served 30 years after him. While their livelihood was likely comfortable, they were stewards of the game and guided the sports--not just the businesses.

Rightly or wrongly, my visceral reaction to Goodell over the years has been that he is a profiteer, who will leverage his prominent position in American culture into lucrative endeavors in his post-tenure--and that he is not a steward for the game, but a CEO and a suit. It's not about the X's and O's, nor the Billy's and Joe's, but ROI and calculation.

The passion and message in that video were poignant. The one criticism being the folly of becoming learned only in issues as they pass in and out of the limelight. How knowledgeable was Olberman before this scandal? And now, based on his well-delivered script, he's an expert, capable of doling out judgment with no one present to rebut.

I was wavering on whether or not to purchase the NFL package this weekend in order to view games online, since I live outside the country. At least for now, I've soured on that decision.

The NFL is a business run by businessmen. To fans, football is a passion, and we care about professional football. What happens in the sport strongly affects our emotions. Not watching games is not the only avenue to be taken seriously. The issue is not football or the business itself. The issue is with its central command and in this case, 1 of the 32 companies (Ravens). Roger Goodell does not equal football. And let's be honest, protest is not a strength of the public. It's not how we express disapproval.

Of course, this scandal will fade to near-oblivion and, at most, a scapegoat will resign. This instance of ignoring important information is consistent with the perception built from the concussion issue.

Should the NFL commissioner be a CEO of a business? Or should he be a steward for the game? I think most view former commissioner Paul T. as balancing the two responsibilities well. Former NHL Presidents include Frank Calder, who served for 25 years, dedicating his life to the betterment of the sport. Former NHL President Clarence Campbell served 30 years after him. While their livelihood was likely comfortable, they were stewards of the game and guided the sports--not just the businesses.

Rightly or wrongly, my visceral reaction to Goodell over the years has been that he is a profiteer, who will leverage his prominent position in American culture into lucrative endeavors in his post-tenure--and that he is not a steward for the game, but a CEO and a suit. It's not about the X's and O's, nor the Billy's and Joe's, but ROI and calculation.

I don't think you're too far off at all...although I think that it would be wrong to say Goodell is entirely a profiteer. I do think he loves the sport and had genuine, not just monetary, reasons for the way he is trying to grow the sport abroad.

I've had the privilege of speaking with Goodell for a decent chunk of time and the way he spoke of the sport, in a non businesslike manner, was fantastic. He's a youthful guy and more in touch with fans as some like to say he is.

People criticise the man for ruining the game yet he's not the guy who ultimately decides these rule changes. Half the time he's not even the guy proposing them; it's our beloved owners making the proposals and voting these changes...that we hate so much...through.

Sadly money can sometimes take your eye off of what really matters in life and I believe that the owners (even Kraft), as well as the senior officials can sometimes be blinded by that ambition.

I don't think you're too far off at all...although I think that it would be wrong to say Goodell is entirely a profiteer. I do think he loves the sport and had genuine, not just monetary, reasons for the way he is trying to grow the sport abroad.

I've had the privilege of speaking with Goodell for a decent chunk of time and the way he spoke of the sport, in a non businesslike manner, was fantastic. He's a youthful guy and more in touch with fans as some like to say he is.

People criticise the man for ruining the game yet he's not the guy who ultimately decides these rule changes. Half the time he's not even the guy proposing them; it's our beloved owners making the proposals and voting these changes...that we hate so much...through.

Sadly money can sometimes take your eye off of what really matters in life and I believe that the owners (even Kraft), as well as the senior officials can sometimes be blinded by that ambition.

You had a privilege that almost none of us will ever have. If he sounds authentic, then perhaps my opinion is either partially or flat-out wrong.

I will offer this one response. My experiences with many ranking persons within companies is that they have a charisma that most of us don't possess. Many of them didn't get to where they were purely on technical ability, but also on executive presence and the soft skills of leadership. I'm sure John and Bob Kraft carry a not-so-dissimilar air. Charisma comes in different shapes and forms and it's affecting, but certainly actions speak louder than words.

It is about the product and money, as much as we lament the woeful job by Roger, the owners continue to make money. Last year saw the Patriots franchise increase 44%... that ain't chump change...

Ratings continue to be as high as ever, there is a solid TV contract, Thursday was an anomaly as the ratings were lower, not because of any of these "scandals" but because it was a crappy game..

Unless it can be shown that Roger knew and covered up, nothing will ever change... he presents himself well, but less so the NFL...

Hey Roger, liar liar pants on fire.

I disagree that we (the NFL fans) don't have a say in this. Right now, it wouldn't take much to get folks organized against the NFL to make changes.

The owners and Goody the Jet wanted to be judge, jury and executioner for the players personal matters. Seeing them squirming around and fumbling those responsibilities now is truly enjoyable.

It appears that the only person that had it right from the start was John Harbaugh, but he was overruled by EVERYONE else.

I remember Bob Kraft telling us that Wes Welker wasn't going to go anywhere else. Hopefully he'll be wrong this time too.

Empty words from an empty suit. His defense for what happened is that he is an incompetent dupe.

Condi Rice is my choice for commissioner, but she probably has too much integrity to lie and pander like Roger in pursuit of bloating the owners' coffers. A couple more major PR blows probably are needed for Goodell to finally be cut loose.

Did you really just say that someone who served as an issue front-person in the biggest political office in the world has too much integrity to lie and pander? That simply cannot follow logically, regardless of whether your political leanings are strong enough to ignore the elephants of mass destruction issue.

That said, I agree that she would make the perfect NFL commissioner. The owners want someone to lie and pander for them.

It is about the product and money, as much as we lament the woeful job by Roger, the owners continue to make money. Last year saw the Patriots franchise increase 44%... that ain't chump change...

Ratings continue to be as high as ever, there is a solid TV contract, Thursday was an anomaly as the ratings were lower, not because of any of these "scandals" but because it was a crappy game..

Unless it can be shown that Roger knew and covered up, nothing will ever change... he presents himself well, but less so the NFL...

The NFL's singular mission is executes with laser focus is to generate revenue. Anything it does in the community or charitably is good business. If we all saw the NFL as something more then we truly have our collective heads in the sand.

I truly believe that if worked leaked that TB was abusive towards Gisele I would seriously question what the Krafts would do. I would bet my bottom dollar that BB would do everything in his power to keep himself separate from this issue and defer to the Krafts, the league and the authorities. We already know what Goody would do-he would "protect the shield"...what that means is he would ensure the revenue streams are not compromised or constrained.

If as fans we want to make an impact and influence NFL policy, we need to stop going to the games and watching them on TV. Then they'll get it.

Last edited:
Folks make the assumption this is dumb person, he isn't, much the opposite. I don't care for the power the commish has but then again the players signed off on it, tough, then the nflpa shouldn't have supportd the collective bargaining agreement or they were too stupid to read it, which I doubt. I don't believe he saw the video in question and I do believe rice told the commish a different story, he is a criminal and a known lier.

I don't care about "sources", if they don't reveal themselves then they are meaningless to me and their "claims" just as meaningless. Have the balls to stand up and say who you are. Everyone wants to assume the commish is the bad guy, did anyone ever think these sources are the bad guys, that they want turmoil for the nfl? Just think about it.

At the end of the day as others have stated we fans are much more to blame because we are still watching, going to games, buying stuff etc.

Make no mistake in the corporate world if someone gets arrested your likely to get fired immediately, I have had to do it, regardless of the case status so the nfl players that have not been fired are still getting a better deal than you or me. Due process my a... That could take a long time and in my world you can get fired for no reason at all...right to work or not work, these guys have it made and we side with them, doesn't make sense.

Did you really just say that someone who served as an issue front-person in the biggest political office in the world has too much integrity to lie and pander? That simply cannot follow logically, regardless of whether your political leanings are strong enough to ignore the elephants of mass destruction issue.

That said, I agree that she would make the perfect NFL commissioner. The owners want someone to lie and pander for them.
She was National Security Advisor and U.S. Secretary of State, not "an issue front person." But if you want to paint her with a broad negative stroke because she served in the federal government, go ahead.

Last edited:
Folks make the assumption this is dumb person, he isn't, much the opposite. I don't care for the power the commish has but then again the players signed off on it, tough, then the nflpa shouldn't have supportd the collective bargaining agreement or they were too stupid to read it, which I doubt. I don't believe he saw the video in question and I do believe rice told the commish a different story, he is a criminal and a known lier.

I don't care about "sources", if they don't reveal themselves then they are meaningless to me and their "claims" just as meaningless. Have the balls to stand up and say who you are. Everyone wants to assume the commish is the bad guy, did anyone ever think these sources are the bad guys, that they want turmoil for the nfl? Just think about it.

At the end of the day as others have stated we fans are much more to blame because we are still watching, going to games, buying stuff etc.

Make no mistake in the corporate world if someone gets arrested your likely to get fired immediately, I have had to do it, regardless of the case status so the nfl players that have not been fired are still getting a better deal than you or me. Due process my a... That could take a long time and in my world you can get fired for no reason at all...right to work or not work, these guys have it made and we side with them, doesn't make sense.

I find your post misguided.

I would counter your statement by stating that prior to exacting punishment on a player (or coach), Goodell has a long track record of taking an exhaustive approach in gathering and evaluating all the evidence put in front of him. He has publicly stated he found Rice's statements ambiguous. Do you really think he would have suspended a player for only two games is he was being given the run-around? You are right-he is very smart which makes it even more likely he saw the tapes in February, understood the gravity of the issue and caved in to Bisciotti's request for leniency because it was the path of least resistence.

To throw NFL fans in blame pool along with the players, the teams and the league for their irresponsibility is absurd. My dollars paid on anything related to the NFL is to the benefit of my entertainment alone. To imply that I knowingly (or unknowingly) contribute and enable knowingly corrupt businessmen and domestically-abusive players is insulting.

...At the end of the day as others have stated we fans are much more to blame because we are still watching, going to games, buying stuff etc.

Nonsense. The crime rate in the NFL is lower than the crime rate of the general U.S. population. There's no fault of the fans for watching games. Such a notion is absurd.

The bolded is simply not true.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back