PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell made $30 million in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ravens better hope flacco doesn't hear about this.

$30 mil seems a lot for a role which has "don't f%# it up" as 80% of its job description.

Without getting into the Goodell debate in this thread, I will observe that a lot of companies with established or "Cash Cow" franchises pay their CEO's buckets of money to do exactly that.

More years ago than I care to admit, before the days of Blue, Platinum, Purple and "Black" cards (the Gold Card was around, I believe), I was interviewed for a job at American Express by a reasonably senior guy at the company (this was before they moved to the WFC, so that should enable those of you familiar with AXP to date the conversation).

American Express was thinking about expanding into the revolving credit card and affinity businesses at the time. So when it was my turn to ask him a few questions, I inquired as to what he regarded as his top priority when he came to work every day.

His answer? "Don't f%# up the Green Card."

Tagliabue was essentially the caretaker enabler who adopted a goes along to get along don't rock anyone's boat philosophy that landed the league at a crossroads by 2006. The last thing any league needs is another lawyer commissioner. That's why his HOF nomination has received zero traction.
Tagliabue was a poor commissioner. Granted, he had an impossible standard to live up to, but ultimately he was not a good commissioner. Fanchise instability was among his many failings and yes, that is why there is absolutely zero push to put him in the HoF. Not even mentioning him as a serious candidate for the HoF is only more evidence of how the general public feel about him.

Goodell on the other hand, despite what some in here erroneously cling to, has been doing a fantastic job and brought the league to new levels it would not have reached under the previous leadership.

Without getting into the Goodell debate in this thread, I will observe that a lot of companies with established or "Cash Cow" franchises pay their CEO's buckets of money to do exactly that.

More years ago than I care to admit, before the days of Blue, Platinum, Purple and "Black" cards (the Gold Card was around, I believe), I was interviewed for a job at American Express by a reasonably senior guy at the company (this was before they moved to the WFC, so that should enable those of you familiar with AXP to date the conversation).

American Express was thinking about expanding into the revolving credit card and affinity businesses at the time. So when it was my turn to ask him a few questions, I inquired as to what he regarded as his top priority when he came to work every day.

His answer? "Don't f%# up the Green Card."

While I'd argue that Goodell has quite thoroughly '****ed it up', I do agree that, for the man in charge of presiding over the NFL during a time of real and significant change, keeping the ship afloat and generating ever-increasing amounts of cash is absolutely the job description.

As much as we may hate most of what Goodell is doing, we have to remember that he takes his marching orders from the owners. He's more or less just the face of the operation, so if we all think that he's terrible, that's in large part a reflection of our dissatisfaction with the owners' long-term vision for the game.

I have never seen any who looks more White than Goodell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes