PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell made $30 million in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we forget who Goodell. He works for the owners, and they are doing very well indeed.

Nobody on this earth is worth that much....Nobody should be getting paid like that when we have kids living on the streets, when people can't afford their next meal or know where their going to sleep next. People can't afford med for their cancer/Aids treatments and die and somehow you think its justified that some makes this much?

Goodell does nothing! The players play and the coaches coach, the owners own, what does this guy do again? Nothing! He sits at a desk all day and makes 30mill a year...What a joke!:bricks:

Yeah and he probably gets taxed like a ************. You don't become a millionaire by doing nothing.

Someone back in the thread had a good point about the lack of ability to acquire equity.

If Goodell had a similar executive position in a regular company he'd have a lot of stock/options and would likely have a lower salary because of the non-cash compensation.

Working for the NFL, stock/options simply do not exist, so one would expect the cash compensation to be higher to make up for that.

Right because the smart thing to do would be to say they had too much money, and negotiate a deal where they give more away than they need to.:rolleyes:

I don't remember saying anything about it being a smart negotiation tactic but thanks for putting words in my mouth. The fact is if they're paying Goddell that much money they're making many times that each but to hear them talk they were losing money.

I don't remember saying anything about it being a smart negotiation tactic but thanks for putting words in my mouth. The fact is if they're paying Goddell that much money they're making many times that each but to hear them talk they were losing money.

They were, as in past tense. They aren't now because they got the deal they wanted. In the past the cap was tied more directly to TV revenue and its growth. Now it's a formula that is tied to overall revenue growth. Plus the TV deals were negotiated this time out to phase in over a decade. Some revenue streams are growing faster while others are losing ground. Stadium revenues are decreasing as ticket/parking/concession prices and demand top out and PSL's become a harder sell because frankly more people are opting to watch from the comfort of their own home. Those used to be the purview of ownership. Some new areas of expansion into licensing new technologies and even marketing fantasy leagues that increase on line advertising revenues now flow to ownership in greater % than to players who largely traded those new anscillary streams off in an effort to retain as much of the TV revenue as they could. Still, the owners got back a couple of % on that TV stream. And a couple of % points when you're talking billions is a lot of dough... Under the old CBA the total revenue split was roughly 50/50. Now it's 53/47. the players gained cap spending floors, but those too are phasing in and won't be individual team reality before 2017.

Ok, you're just trolling. I forgot who I was responding to. My mistake there.
So in other words, you have absolutely zero response to my perfectly appropriate question.

Just as I knew you wouldn't.

So in other words, you have absolutely zero response to my perfectly appropriate question.

Just as I knew you wouldn't.

The NFL has pulled in SB shares in the 60's and 70's for pretty much every year it's been on. Overall attendance/viewership has generally experienced an increase/flattening over the course of time, and there's been no great dip in attendance/viewership for any significant period of time in the SB era.

In other words, and as I noted: despite your trolling, what's happening was going to happen with, or without, Goodell.

Now, back under your bridge.

The NFL has pulled in SB shares in the 60's and 70's for pretty much every year it's been on. Overall attendance/viewership has generally experienced an increase/flattening over the course of time, and there's been no great dip in attendance/viewership for any significant period of time in the SB era.

In other words, and as I noted: despite your trolling, what's happening was going to happen with, or without, Goodell.

Now, back under your bridge.
Just out of curiousity, if I'm a troll and yet you keep responding, what does that say about you?

You have given absolutely zero evidence to support your statement. Your statement is weak speculation unsupported by any facts, and nothing more.

It certainly seems from media reports that Bob Kraft played major roles in the TV contract and in the new CBA settlement. We fans don't know what if any unique capabilities the Commish brought to the party during player and TV negotiations and what he specifically did to drive the revenue increases. The only facts we have is that Goody's Board of Directors, the owners, seem to like the job he's doing vis-a-vis his compensation package. However, having some personal familiarity with BODs and looking at some of these owners this doesn't necessarily impress.

It certainly seems from media reports that Bob Kraft played major roles in the TV contract and in the new CBA settlement. We fans don't know what if any unique capabilities the Commish brought to the party during player and TV negotiations and what he specifically did to drive the revenue increases. The only facts we have is that Goody's Board of Directors, the owners, seem to like the job he's doing vis-a-vis his compensation package. However, having some personal familiarity with BODs and looking at some of these owners this doesn't necessarily impress.

Would you be more impressed knowing influential Robert is a member of the compensation committee? Chaired by his good friend who often seeks his council, Arthur Blank. The league has 28 committees and only half a dozen or so owners serve on each. What Goodell did was their bidding, including playing the bad cop at lockout time so none of them had to incur the wrath of their constituents.

Yeah and he probably gets taxed like a ************. You don't become a millionaire by doing nothing.
Taxed like a ***********at 30 million? Sorry, but some people do become millionaires by doing very little. This guy is a prime example. I'm not shedding tears for anyone making 30 million in regard to their tax burden. Spare me...

Just out of curiousity, if I'm a troll and yet you keep responding, what does that say about you?

It says that you're a troll, I realized it and wasn't going to post again, and you pulled garbage out of your backside again, so I responded to your charge.

You have given absolutely zero evidence to support your statement. Your statement is weak speculation unsupported by any facts, and nothing more.

It's not speculation at all. I checked it all last night. You can do it too....

Google

Super Bowl Ratings History

Look... Attendance going up before Goodell!

The NFL set an all-time paid attendance record in 2000 for the third consecutive year, reaching the 20-million paid attendance mark for only the second time in league history. Regular-season paid attendance of 16,387,289 for an average of 66,078 per game also was an all-time record for the third consecutive season.

Chronology of Football 2001-Present

and it continued!

The NFL set an all-time paid attendance record in 2004 for the third consecutive year with a mark of 21,708,624. Regular- season paid attendance increased to 17,000,811, the first time the NFL reached the 17-million mark. Average paid attendance of 66,409 was also an all-time high, March 21.

Chronology of Football 2001-Present

Still climbing as Tags heads off into the sunset...

NEW YORK -- For the fourth consecutive year, the NFL set a regular-season attendance record in 2006, averaging more than 67,000 fans per game.

Total paid attendance for games averaged 67,738, and increased to a season total of 17,340,879, the league announced Thursday.

It was the third straight year the league sold more than 17 million tickets.

NFL sets paid attendance record fourth straight year - NFL - ESPN

Now, run along little troll. I'm bored with smacking you around and won't be wasting any more time on you in this thread.

The facts really don't seem to support it.

Football TV Ratings Soar: the NFL’s Playbook for Success | Nielsen Wire

The president of CBS was on with Felger during the superbowl and he said the NFL has become premier programming no network can succeed without. In the old days it was something of a loss leader, programming you acquired in order to persue a demographic. Today the programming makes the networks a ton of money in and of itself in addition to inroads within an expanding demographic including women and international markets.

The guy Goodell succeeded came to the league from it's lawyers offices. He was for all intents and purposes the owners legal advisor. And he forged a let's go along to get along relationship with them and with NFLPA leader Gene Upshaw that limited discord at the expense of all concerned. For 15 years Goodell was basically the go to guy if Tagliabue needed to sell something to ownership or needed something done apart from legalese. In 2001 as the NFL's COO, Goodell took over responsiblity for NFL Ventures, which oversees the league's business units, including media properties, marketing and sales, stadium development and strategic planning as well as football ops. In other words he was way more qualified than his predecessor to oversee a $9B industry. I think Tags pay topped out around $6M, a nice chunk of change for a figurehead. Which is why he will likely never see the inside of the HOF without a ticket. He oversaw the rearranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic betweeen 1995-97 (loss of both LA teams to St. Louis and Oakland and Cleveland to Baltimore and expansion team for Cleveland as well as expansion into Florida and Carolina and Texas much of which hasn't ever panned out).

He's not popular here with good reason. But as Robert recently stated, Bill was a shmuck to have put this organization in a position where a rookie commissioner getting bad advice from Bill's lengthy list of jealous competitors could overpenalize them to make a point.

xpmgqbdl jt b gvdljoh kfslpgg

Key value=1

$30 mil seems a lot for a role which has "don't f%# it up" as 80% of its job description.

Would you be more impressed knowing influential Robert is a member of the compensation committee? Chaired by his good friend who often seeks his council, Arthur Blank. The league has 28 committees and only half a dozen or so owners serve on each. What Goodell did was their bidding, including playing the bad cop at lockout time so none of them had to incur the wrath of their constituents.

Goodell does a lot of bad cop stuff for the owners, and sub-groups of owners. Nailing the Cowboys and the Redskins for "cheating" during the non-cap year was clearly led by the "small market" owners who rightfully went to the Commissioner with their complaints that Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder were taking advantage of an anomalous situation. There is no question that several committees also cried foul on their spending, but publicly Goodell managed the situation and got shredded in DC and Dallas.

Texans owner Robert McNair chairs the NFL Finance Committee which is the critical committee on compensation for the staff and the lawyers who do the labor bargaining and the deals for TV and non-football revenue. Goodell has done a good job in their eyes and the senior staff at the NFL are very well compensated.

The sport is popular in spite of Goodell, not because of Goodell. I kind of think. No one goes to the games to see the owners or the half witted BA monkey boy perform for them. They go to see the boys, and watch a good game.
I just hope he doesnt mess up the product like most business CEO's do when they score a lucky job pushing a great product they could never created on their own.
Like windows users defending and using an aging disfunctional OS
with Balmer. After a while it becomes the beaten woman syndrome for the user or fan, where they keep on explaining away the mistakes, dispointment, and constant disfunction, because its all they know.

I dont think he desurves the money for how he has handled things. But I would pay him $60 million if he would just stick to stucking up to the owners, and keep his silly ideas on how to change the game to himself.

Taxed like a ***********at 30 million? Sorry, but some people do become millionaires by doing very little. This guy is a prime example. I'm not shedding tears for anyone making 30 million in regard to their tax burden. Spare me...

What I was trying to go for, wasn't really clear but, he's already paying tons of money used on foods stamps, welfare, what not. What do people expect him to do donate 99% of his earnings to charity? Not asking anyone to shed tears for him, far from it. The guy obviously did something right if he's making 30 mill a year. I mean, people don't just show up at your house and offer you a million dollar job. I don't like him as commish, would rather they bring back Paul Tagliabue.

The sport is popular in spite of Goodell, not because of Goodell. I kind of think. No one goes to the games to see the owners or the half witted BA monkey boy perform for them. They go to see the boys, and watch a good game.
I just hope he doesnt mess up the product like most business CEO's do when they score a lucky job pushing a great product they could never created on their own.
Like windows users defending and using an aging disfunctional OS
with Balmer. After a while it becomes the beaten woman syndrome for the user or fan, where they keep on explaining away the mistakes, dispointment, and constant disfunction, because its all they know.

I dont think he desurves the money for how he has handled things. But I would pay him $60 million if he would just stick to stucking up to the owners, and keep his silly ideas on how to change the game to himself.

Most of those silly ideas are generated by the owners. And your view of Goodell is just a tad biased, as are many of the views expressed by patsfans for one very obvious reason.

What I was trying to go for, wasn't really clear but, he's already paying tons of money used on foods stamps, welfare, what not. What do people expect him to do donate 99% of his earnings to charity? Not asking anyone to shed tears for him, far from it. The guy obviously did something right if he's making 30 mill a year. I mean, people don't just show up at your house and offer you a million dollar job. I don't like him as commish, would rather they bring back Paul Tagliabue.

Tagliabue was essentially the caretaker enabler who adopted a goes along to get along don't rock anyone's boat philosophy that landed the league at a crossroads by 2006. The last thing any league needs is another lawyer commissioner. That's why his HOF nomination has received zero traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back