PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell #1 on S.I.'s 50 Most Powerful People In Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair Jackson. We've all had our dealings with both sides of the fence. In regards to Goodell, I agree his handling of Spygate was poor (even pathetic) but I'm not going to judge his performance on that situation in isolation. It's my belief that he's doing a reasonable job.
Equally fair on your part. We'll just agree to disagree on Goodell.

On September 13, 2007, Goodell disciplined the New England Patriots and head coach Bill Belichick after New England attempted to videotape the defensive signals of the New York Jets on September 9. Belichick was fined the league maximum of $500,000 and the team itself was fined US$250,000 and the loss of their first round 2008 draft pick. Goodell came down hard on the Patriots because he felt Belichick's authority over football operations (Belichick is effectively the Patriots' general manager as well as head coach) was such that his decisions were "properly attributed" to the Patriots as well.[25] Goodell said he considered suspending Belichick, but decided against it because he felt fining them and stripping them of a draft pick were "more effective" than a suspension.[26]

yeah...the effect was a blatant attempt to cripple the NE Patriots and denigrate the lifetime achievements of Bill Belichick. Exactly what an unbelievably egotistical, self centered little glory hog nobody does to get all the attention on HIM. What a joke of a little punk he is and that's right, he's NOTHING but a punk as far as I'm concerned...a little rich kid, entitled, silver spoon fed liar and bully. How this guy managed to escape getting his face rearranged when he was younger is a total mystery to me.

Goodell is married to former Fox News Channel anchor Jane Skinner[38] and they have twin daughters. He has four brothers; among them are Tim, who works for the Hess Corporation; and Michael, long-time partner of Jack Kenny, creator of the short-lived NBC series The Book of Daniel. The Webster family on the show was loosely based on the Goodell family.

yeah..his brother is a big shot for Hess Corp. Gee whiz, no hint of corruption there, eh? Hess only OWNED THE PATRIOTS CHIEF COMPETITOR...and after Hess got little Roger Rich-kid a toe into the NFL offices, the rest is documented. A focused drive to gain full power as commissioner...his only goal in life. THAT is the mark of a megalomaniac as was his ridiculously petty jihad on Belichick and all the rest of his ham fisted dictatorial decisions.

Explain THIS....tell me and the rest of the world that sees through this little Lord Fauntlroy's facade of impartiality how THIS was NEVER addressed by Goodell...

Spy for a spy: Jets started video battle - NY Daily News

The Jets-Patriots spy games became a national story in September, when the Patriots were busted for illegally videotaping Jets coaches from the sideline at the Meadowlands. Unbeknownst to the public, the two teams engaged in video warfare throughout the 2006 season.

At a game in Foxborough, a Jets employee was caught videotaping from the end-zone stands, according to a league source. The camera wasn't confiscated and the incident wasn't reported to the league, but Patriots officials were miffed. Just recently, a team official mentioned the incident in a conversation about this Sunday's Jets-Patriots game.

Tannenbaum categorically denied everything...guess that's all it takes for Herr Goodell..."oh, the Jet representative says it ain't so?...good enough for me!!!! and make sure you all use Hess Gasoline you hear, now?"

Rampant ,blatant, attempted player crippling by the Jets...degeneracy after profanity after reprehensible and disgusting acts of gluttony and open sexual deviance, right out in the open for kids to read and watch on TV?..oh..."nothing to see here...move on!!! These substitute refs sure are doin' a great job!!!! I will now destroy the Saints for EVER defying ME!!!!!"

yeah...Goodell played the sport just like he brags on his TV spots boasting up his efforts to make the game safer...IN HIGH SCHOOL. I played tennis in high school, along with basketball and football..what, I should now be THE national spokesperson for the ATP Tour???

Time magazine did a "100 Most Important Figures Of The 20th Century" piece once....guess who was in the top 10..Adolph Hitler ,Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung....Goodell is #1 because he is all of what makes a totalitarian dictator the scourge of creation that he is...the willingness of a ruling body to give him 100% authority.

Sounds like a Commissioner who is doing his job. BTW, Sepp Blatter that low is a poor reflection on that list.

Not sure what you mean by "low." Do you actually mean "high" because his number is relatively low at 16 of 50 or do you mean "low" because there are 15 ahead of him and he deserves to be closer to the top?

On September 13, 2007, Goodell disciplined the New England Patriots and head coach Bill Belichick after New England attempted to videotape the defensive signals of the New York Jets on September 9. Belichick was fined the league maximum of $500,000 and the team itself was fined US$250,000 and the loss of their first round 2008 draft pick. Goodell came down hard on the Patriots because he felt Belichick's authority over football operations (Belichick is effectively the Patriots' general manager as well as head coach) was such that his decisions were "properly attributed" to the Patriots as well.[25] Goodell said he considered suspending Belichick, but decided against it because he felt fining them and stripping them of a draft pick were "more effective" than a suspension.[26]

yeah...the effect was a blatant attempt to cripple the NE Patriots and denigrate the lifetime achievements of Bill Belichick. Exactly what an unbelievably egotistical, self centered little glory hog nobody does to get all the attention on HIM. What a joke of a little punk he is and that's right, he's NOTHING but a punk as far as I'm concerned...a little rich kid, entitled, silver spoon fed liar and bully. How this guy managed to escape getting his face rearranged when he was younger is a total mystery to me.

Goodell is married to former Fox News Channel anchor Jane Skinner[38] and they have twin daughters. He has four brothers; among them are Tim, who works for the Hess Corporation; and Michael, long-time partner of Jack Kenny, creator of the short-lived NBC series The Book of Daniel. The Webster family on the show was loosely based on the Goodell family.

yeah..his brother is a big shot for Hess Corp. Gee whiz, no hint of corruption there, eh? Hess only OWNED THE PATRIOTS CHIEF COMPETITOR...and after Hess got little Roger Rich-kid a toe into the NFL offices, the rest is documented. A focused drive to gain full power as commissioner...his only goal in life. THAT is the mark of a megalomaniac as was his ridiculously petty jihad on Belichick and all the rest of his ham fisted dictatorial decisions.

Explain THIS....tell me and the rest of the world that sees through this little Lord Fauntlroy's facade of impartiality how THIS was NEVER addressed by Goodell...

Spy for a spy: Jets started video battle - NY Daily News

The Jets-Patriots spy games became a national story in September, when the Patriots were busted for illegally videotaping Jets coaches from the sideline at the Meadowlands. Unbeknownst to the public, the two teams engaged in video warfare throughout the 2006 season.

At a game in Foxborough, a Jets employee was caught videotaping from the end-zone stands, according to a league source. The camera wasn't confiscated and the incident wasn't reported to the league, but Patriots officials were miffed. Just recently, a team official mentioned the incident in a conversation about this Sunday's Jets-Patriots game.

Tannenbaum categorically denied everything...guess that's all it takes for Herr Goodell..."oh, the Jet representative says it ain't so?...good enough for me!!!! and make sure you all use Hess Gasoline you hear, now?"

Rampant ,blatant, attempted player crippling by the Jets...degeneracy after profanity after reprehensible and disgusting acts of gluttony and open sexual deviance, right out in the open for kids to read and watch on TV?..oh..."nothing to see here...move on!!! These substitute refs sure are doin' a great job!!!! I will now destroy the Saints for EVER defying ME!!!!!"

yeah...Goodell played the sport just like he brags on his TV spots boasting up his efforts to make the game safer...IN HIGH SCHOOL. I played tennis in high school, along with basketball and football..what, I should now be THE national spokesperson for the ATP Tour???

Time magazine did a "100 Most Important Figures Of The 20th Century" piece once....guess who was in the top 10..Adolph Hitler ,Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung....Goodell is #1 because he is all of what makes a totalitarian dictator the scourge of creation that he is...the willingness of a ruling body to give him 100% authority.
Bravissimo!!! Truly one of the greatest rants of all time!

Not sure what you mean by "low." Do you actually mean "high" because his number is relatively low at 16 of 50 or do you mean "low" because there are 15 ahead of him and he deserves to be closer to the top?
He should be in the top 5.

He should be in the top 5.

Just wanted to be sure.

Come on. He presides over a great sport but also over a governing body that is so corrupt and incestuous that there is a very embarrassingly public but highly credible case being made that the recent votes allocating World Cup sites (Qatar and Russia) should be thrown out and retaken.

How exactly did a decision get made to put one Final at a site with 97 degree F heat and another in the home of a marginal soccer power that has only qualified for the Finals once in the last 20 years (when it didn't get out of the Group Stage) but is the global leader in corrupt business practices and the source of hundreds of millions of dollars in untraceable, free-floating cash? The allegations are coming from credible sources in the UK and France, among others.

The officiating in World Cup matches is also highly suspect (does Torsten Frings and a Scottish official who couldn't bear the thought of a US team in the Semi-finals ring a bell?).

So, no. Mr. Blattner does not belong in the top five, unless it's on a court docket.

I'd argue Stern is more powerful. Dude pretty much fully controls the NBA. He told some players during all star weekend a few years back then he knows where the bodies are buried.
The NBA has nowhere near the prestige and power of the NFL, so even though Stern perhaps has more power within his little fiefdom, it doesn't compare to Goodell.

How does extending the season benefit the players/promote player safety?
Extending the season benefits the players in that it gives them more money. That's why they will be on board with such a change sometime within the next decade or so.

Just wanted to be sure.

Come on. He presides over a great sport but also over a governing body that is so corrupt and incestuous that there is a very embarrassingly public but highly credible case being made that the recent votes allocating World Cup sites (Qatar and Russia) should be thrown out and retaken.

How exactly did a decision get made to put one Final at a site with 97 degree F heat and another in the home of a marginal soccer power that has only qualified for the Finals once in the last 20 years (when it didn't get out of the Group Stage) but is the global leader in corrupt business practices and the source of hundreds of millions of dollars in untraceable, free-floating cash? The allegations are coming from credible sources in the UK and France, among others.

The officiating in World Cup matches is also highly suspect (does Torsten Frings and a Scottish official who couldn't bear the thought of a US team in the Semi-finals ring a bell?).

So, no. Mr. Blattner does not belong in the top five, unless it's on a court docket.
He's the top man in the biggest sport in the world. He belongs in the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes