Welcome to PatsFans.com

Roger Goodell #1 on S.I.'s 50 Most Powerful People In Sports

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by Joker, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,126 / 23 / -30

2. NE_PATS_FAN_54

NE_PATS_FAN_54 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +67 / 4 / -1

#70 Jersey

I know that everyone is a craze over the daily free agent "reports", but there are some must reads in SI and ESPN the Mag about Goodell.

Ironic how, on the same day, they both release stories on Goodell. The ESPN piece is really interesting stuff. Based on what the ESPN piece says, I can't imagine Goodell is too happy that it was released. A must read.

OTL: His Game, His Rules - ESPN

3. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

4. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

I think you're wrong. The Commissioner is supposed to be an impartial liasson between the owners and players. If 60% of the owners hated his guts would you still feel that way? This guy is a power hungry despot who is all for the owners and is disinterested, at best, in what benefits the players.

5. NE_PATS_FAN_54

NE_PATS_FAN_54 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +67 / 4 / -1

#70 Jersey

From the ESPN article:

6. Froob

Froob Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +769 / 12 / -4

#32 Jersey

I'd argue Stern is more powerful. Dude pretty much fully controls the NBA. He told some players during all star weekend a few years back then he knows where the bodies are buried.

7. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

The Commissioner doesn't work for the players. The players work for the owners who are represented by the Commissioner.

Goodell is hell bent on making the game safer for players. If you disagree that this notion isn't something that will benefit the players then there's no point having a discussion with you.

8. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,959 / 14 / -22

#61 Jersey

Goodell doesn't appear to have a genuine bone in his body, but that's because he's such an effective actor. He's playing a role and apparently that's what the owners want. The man is pretense defined. I suppose it's a pipe dream to hope for a true visionary in that position.

9. Jackson 2

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

He's hell-bent on appearing to make the game safer for the players because he's scared to death of the damages that litigation from the players will bring. No one truly concerned with player safety would propose an extended regular season.

10. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

If you're resting your laurel on that as an argument you're going to have to do better. I don't want an extended season because I'm happy with the current format, not because of potential exposure to more harm disregarding the measures taken to mitigate that harm.

11. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -3

On a side note, the same SI article ranks Robert Kraft as the 12th most powerful person in sports.

It Is What It Is » Patriots owner Robert Kraft 12th most powerful in sports, according to Sports Illustrated

Kraft, 71, made himself invaluable to the NFL with his work on its broadcast, finance and compensation committees. And as an owner trusted by players, his consensus-building and shuttle diplomacy were keys to resolving the 2011 lockout.​

Within just the NFL, SI ranks Kraft 2nd behind Goodell; Bill Belichick ranks 8th.

12. Jackson 2

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

"...resting your laurel..." Huh? I did, however, use the extended season proposal as evidence to support my contention. And, I stand by it. Just because you say I'm going to have to do better doesn't mean I do. Either way, I'm done with this matter.

13. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

You're done with it because it's a crappy position to begin with. There's no connection between your assertion. Goodell is doing things to benefit the players. Your blind disgust for Goodell has clouded your ability to judge him fairly.

14. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +861 / 6 / -9

How does extending the season benefit the players/promote player safety?

15. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

You need to read my comments more closely. I said Goodell is doing things to improve player safety against the point that Goodell is doing (in essence) nothing for the players.

16. Jackson 2

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

You need to express yourself more clearly. I did not say that Goodell was doing nothing for player safety. My point was that what he's doing, and transparently it appears substantial, is in response to him being scared *****less that he, personally (although he's' surely indemnified), and the league will lose billions, not millions over many decades if he and the league don't at least superficially try to make player safety a priority.

17. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

I'm not sure how I could be any clearer in my first few posts Jackson? Whichever way you look at it, you've at least included that Goodell by association or superficial measure, is addressing player safety. I'm happy enough to concede ground and meet in the middle.

18. Jackson 2

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

Honestly, ausbacker, I have no quarrel with you and your posts. In fact, I have also frequently enjoyed and agreed with your opinions. And in the event that you might consider me a guy who favors labor over management, I'll only say that I spent 30+ years in management dealing with one of the largest unions in the US. Prior to becoming a manager, I was an official and negotiator in the union to which I referred above. Anyway, my point is that the truth in labor/management disputes rarely, if ever, is rooted in either side. I just think Goodell is a poor commissioner and I fully admit that my opinion is largely based upon the screwing the Pats took over Spygate.

19. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -0

#11 Jersey

shocking...... and appalling

almost as bad as the sickening bad inexplicable kraft expressed man-love for him.

and bspn gets an honorable mention for continuig the worst in 1-sided reporting on camera-gate

20. ausbacker

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 19 / -5

#87 Jersey

That's fair Jackson. We've all had our dealings with both sides of the fence. In regards to Goodell, I agree his handling of Spygate was poor (even pathetic) but I'm not going to judge his performance on that situation in isolation. It's my belief that he's doing a reasonable job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.