PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Cossack(ESPN Legal ) vs De Maurice Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cossack is such an arrogant prick. ESPN is nothing more than company drones who suck on the power teat. Save for Shefter who is too valuable for them to piss off, Bruschi who essentially has been on paid suspension during deflate gate and mike Reiss who's blog has been absolutely ruined; their entire staff of "analysts" and "reporters" are useless

Cossack is such an arrogant prick. ESPN is nothing more than company drones who suck on the power teat. Save for Shefter who is too valuable for them to piss off, Bruschi who essentially has been on paid suspension during deflate gate and mike Reiss who's blog has been absolutely ruined; their entire staff of "analysts" and "reporters" are useless

I imagine some of the other team-specific guys are solid too. Field Yates is an obvious one. :)

And technically Grantland is an ESPN property. Let's see what they do to save or replace it.

Cossack is yet another "legal expert" who's apparently unaware that the Federal Arbitration Act exists.

He spent the morning on ESPN claiming that Berman's vulnerable to be overturned on appeal because he claimed that the CBA required fairness despite that not being written anywhere in it.

Apparently he doesn't realize that Berman was referencing the FAA, which requires fundamental fairness in all arbitration, regardless of what is or is not in any individual CBA.

Cossack's dead wrong on even the most basic facts of the case, so take anything he has to say with a mountain of salt.

I imagine some of the other team-specific guys are solid too. Field Yates is an obvious one. :)

And technically Grantland is an ESPN property. Let's see what they do to save or replace it.
Absolutely I just mean the most prominent ones they parade on their national shows and brand them as "experts" or "analysts" when a kindergartener has better critical thinking skills than they do.

As much as Roger Cossack is a jerk, he makes a fair point by saying that the NFLPA should've known better. In the CBA negotiations, they allowed Goodell to make both disciplinary rulings and to serve as arbitrator during appeals.

De Maurice Smith doesn't really speak on that topic. He's right that Roger Goodell has been enormously unfair in his decisions. And in no way am I trying to justify what Goodell has done to the players. But the NFLPA should acknowledge that it was a huge mistake to grant the Commissioner those powers.

It's become clear to me that of all the major pro sports, football easily has the weakest player's union. I couldn't imagine a union ever allowing this in the MLB, NHL, or the NBA. Not at all.

As much as Roger Cossack is a jerk, he makes a fair point by saying that the NFLPA should've known better. In the CBA negotiations, they allowed Goodell to make both disciplinary rulings and to serve as arbitrator during appeals.

De Maurice Smith doesn't really speak on that topic. He's right that Roger Goodell has been enormously unfair in his decisions. And in no way am I trying to justify what Goodell has done to the players. But the NFLPA should acknowledge that it was a huge mistake to grant the Commissioner those powers.

It's become clear to me that of all the major pro sports, football easily has the weakest player's union. I couldn't imagine a union ever allowing this in the MLB, NHL, or the NBA. Not at all.

Agreed to a point, but these points aren't self-evidently contradictory.

A person of integrity who's acting in good faith could, in theory at least, arbitrate his own judgment. It's practically dubious, to be sure, but theoretically possible at least. Goodell, of course, has none of those qualities, and is a ****ing idiot for good measure. So yeah, at a minimum I agree that the NFLPA was gravely mistaken in not recognizing how big a threat his malicious incompetence really was.

I don't even know who this loser is.

He's a step up from Lester Munson, but a considerable step down from a competent, informed lawyer.

A person of integrity who's acting in good faith could, in theory at least, arbitrate his own judgment. It's practically dubious, to be sure, but theoretically possible at least.

If what you're saying is true, then the PA was dumb to think they could ever trust the League Front Office.

Of course, lots of things sound good in theory. In theory, Pete Carroll made a perfectly reasonable decision to throw from the 1-yard line. ;) The decisions by the PA might make sense in theory. But don't think for a second, that an experienced union in any other sport would ever allow the League to have that much power over its players, without ensuring some form of accountability or due process.

I have to suspect that the PA didn't really consider the long-term consequences of their concessions. Perhaps they were more concerned with ending their negotiations as quickly as possible (to lessen its impact on the 2o11 season), but it still doesn't change the fact that they messed up.

I hope they'll do a better job next time these talks occur.

Last edited:

You are right but Smith basically says this law has existed for a while and even though the PA agreed to this , its expected the arbitrator is fair. Sure its wrong to expect it with a guy like goodell which is what the case is but when he is unfair he loses in court like the last 4 times. All Goodell had to do is agree to PA's request for an independent arbitrator after handing out the punishment via vincent . That wouldve been a fair action.

If Cossack believes the law is clear on the points of CBA and arbitration deference, and he can make a clear argument for why that is, I don't have a great problem with that. Lawyers opinions always vary (it's good for business:)). However, if he is not also discussing the fundamental unfairness from Goodell/Wells, from within the process, as well as highlighting the court's outright panning of the NFL's actions then he is just another ESPN mouthpiece horse's ass that sucks the big one. It throws his whole opinion into disrepute. He is Munsoned
ANYONE who uses 'it's legal for Goodell to do it, end of all discussion' is grinding an axe and/or someone of very questionable character (aka Slimy). But then again this is ESPN, they themselves are slimy and the propaganda wing of the NFL. Slimy is probably a requirement for employment there.

Cossack says on NFL live that he has spoke to a lot of other litigators and lawyers after today's ruling and they all said Judge Berman overstepped his boundaries .

Judge "Kenesaw Mountain" Landis was given total power to act in the best interest of baseball in 1920 and through his 24 years as commissioner of baseball. This is nothing new.

Is it just me or is the irony lost on (some) Americans (who back the NFL) who are so proud of their constitution and rights to a fair trial? What's the difference between the NFL and North Korea?

Is it just me or is the irony lost on (some) Americans (who back the NFL) who are so proud of their constitution and rights to a fair trial? What's the difference between the NFL and North Korea?

First sentence: an excellent point

Second Sentence: What is the difference between North Korea and the NFL? North Korea crushes all internal dissension through a massive and active police state in order to keep the dictatorship in full power. While the NFL through a massive half unconscious idiocracy crushes BB and TB because those darn guys are getting in the way of everyone getting a trophy -- which will cement Goodell's dictatorship.

Sure the difference is subtle but it is there.

First sentence: an excellent point

Second Sentence: What is the difference between North Korea and the NFL? North Korea crushes all internal dissension through a massive and active police state in order to keep the dictatorship in full power. While the NFL through a massive half unconscious idiocracy crushes BB and TB because those darn guys are getting in the way of everyone getting a trophy -- which will cement Goodell's dictatorship.

Sure the difference is subtle but it is there.

So same thing? ;)

He's a step up from Lester Munson, but a considerable step down from a competent, informed lawyer.
You're still setting the bar pretty low. I loved Smith's jab, " you don't have to give me anything, read the law"...
Mark it, the next CBA talks will not be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes