PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roethlisberger's voted the most disliked player in SB XLV, 4th in NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I've asked people I know why they hate Brady, they often mention Brady's kid outside marriage.

Either they're Bridget's brothers or they also hate a very large # of NFL players as well. Somehow I think neither.

Is TFB the most jealous or most hated? I think those are two different things.
Very true, but nobody is going to admit - even to themselves - that they are jealous. Instead they say 'I hate that guy'.

When I've asked people I know why they hate Brady, they often mention Brady's kid outside marriage.
That is indeed mentioned often, but let's face it: that's just an excuse to back up their stance. I guarantee those same people are aware of other people who have had a child out of wedlock and do not feel the same way about them.

Same thing goes for the point Devious1 made about how so many people say they don't like Brady because of the comment he made in response to Plaxico's prediction. It just became a convenient excuse to rationalize why they say the things they say about him.

Overall I'm bewildered over how many people are actually surprised at how others outside of New England feel about Brady. Go to any national site and read the comments after any story on the Patriots and/or Brady; I guarantee every one of them will be full of extremely negative commentary towards Brady. Have people forgotten the reaction nationwide when Pollard blew out Brady's knee? This hate/jealousy is nothing new and I don't expect that reaction towards Brady to end any time soon - if ever.

Winning a second championship transformed the Patriots from the role of the lovable underdog to the role of the hated villain. Because of spygate that role was sealed to remain intact as long as the faces of the franchise, Brady and Belichick, remained part of the team. Normally once another team started winning with regularity (Pittsburgh) then people would move on and point their hate/jealousy towards them, but because of spygate as long as the Patriots are competitive - and maybe even if they were not - they, and specifically Belichick and Brady will be the figures in the NFL that many if not most people will say they can't stand, dislike, hate, whatever.

Brady ranks high on the list because:

1) The Patriots are almost universally hated by outside fans. Brady and Belichick are perceived as the face of a classless and smug organization that will do anything to win. Like someone else said, jealousy breeds contempt.

2) People who don't know any better see traits in Brady which are the opposite of who he really is. Instead of realizing that his competitiveness, toughness, and selflessness are unquestioned, they see a pretty boy whiner who is more focused on his celebrity status than on football--a "superstar" amongst a team of nobodys.

The fact that Brady is listed in the same company as Favre, Vick and Roethlesburger just shows how ignorant the majority of football fans are about he and the Pats operate. A lot of people are just plain stupid.

Very true, but nobody is going to admit - even to themselves - that they are jealous. Instead they say 'I hate that guy'.

That is indeed mentioned often, but let's face it: that's just an excuse to back up their stance. I guarantee those same people are aware of other people who have had a child out of wedlock and do not feel the same way about them.

Same thing goes for the point Devious1 made about how so many people say they don't like Brady because of the comment he made in response to Plaxico's prediction. It just became a convenient excuse to rationalize why they say the things they say about him.

Overall I'm bewildered over how many people are actually surprised at how others outside of New England feel about Brady. Go to any national site and read the comments after any story on the Patriots and/or Brady; I guarantee every one of them will be full of extremely negative commentary towards Brady. Have people forgotten the reaction nationwide when Pollard blew out Brady's knee? This hate/jealousy is nothing new and I don't expect that reaction towards Brady to end any time soon - if ever.

Winning a second championship transformed the Patriots from the role of the lovable underdog to the role of the hated villain. Because of spygate that role was sealed to remain intact as long as the faces of the franchise, Brady and Belichick, remained part of the team. Normally once another team started winning with regularity (Pittsburgh) then people would move on and point their hate/jealousy towards them, but because of spygate as long as the Patriots are competitive - and maybe even if they were not - they, and specifically Belichick and Brady will be the figures in the NFL that many if not most people will say they can't stand, dislike, hate, whatever.

who cares ? i couldn't care less about what other people hate. brady's a model citizen and a fantastic role model. anyone should be proud to be associated with tom brady. anyone who hates tom brady needs to seriously look in the mirror.

who cares ? i couldn't care less about what other people hate. brady's a model citizen and a fantastic role model. anyone should be proud to be associated with tom brady. anyone who hates tom brady needs to seriously look in the mirror.

This :rocker:

I want my kid to look up to a person like Brady.....successful, good father to BOTH his children...... a competitor.....gives to his community.....well spoken(not a Rex Ryan mouth) loving father to a beautiful wife...........

Sounds like sour grapes to me......:p

Edit: I meant to write, Brady is ranked third on that poll. Roethlisberger was ranked fourth.

In my opinion, Brady is a competitive player making him no different than any other starting quarterback in the league. You want your starting quarterback to be vocal about infractions made by the referees. That is to say, NFL quarterbacks are some of the most brightest players in the league. So I would think that they're right more than half the time on questionable calls for or against their team.

When we talk about disliking a player, you often read about the player's personal life. With a player such as Roethlisberger or Vick. What they'd done during their personal time off the field tends to affect public opinion either way. Personally, I don't allow their personal life to affect my opinion of them as players, I'm either a fan of this player or not. That is, their play on the field should speak for them. Am I a fan of Roethlisberger? No. But that has more to due with his personality. I'm still not judging him by incidents that have occurred involving him off the field. I leave that to the national media to decide right or wrong. What he does in his free time as a person doesn't affect me personally. But, it could reflect negatively on the Pittsburgh franchise in their community.

Even Brett Favre doesn't deserve to be more hated than a dog killer and a "alleged" rapist. I think the only reason Roethlisberger is so low is because Steelers fans make up a large chunk of the national fan base since they have been successful for 40 years.

A handsomely talented athlete with an amazingly gorgeous wife... who would be jealous of that???

Pretty indicative on the state of this world when Tom Brady is more hated than Ben Roethlisberger

Brady was more loved during the '01 season when the Pats were underdogs and what not as soon as he started winning more and more people started to dislike him. They dislike him because a lot of our fellow Pats fans can be brash arrogant *******s, they dislike him for our coach which I bet is the most hated coach in the league, and they dislike him because he is ****** successful and has a hot ass wife being a 6th rounder!

Tom Brady is one of the most disliked players? Along with a rapist,former convict dog killer and an old perv stalker.wtf...what has this guy done actually? Did he kill somebody without my knowing or what? He's a ******* choir boy compared to most nfl players.People hate winners i guess.

What do they have in common? They're damned good players (Favre used to be). Jealousy.

I'm sure Tom is bothered as he drives his free Audi, spends his NFL record contract money, and goes to bed with a hot Brazilian supermodel.

Heh, maybe they hate us smug Pats fans...oh well. My message to them, "Go **** yourself."

Brady was more loved during the '01 season when the Pats were underdogs and what not as soon as he started winning more and more people started to dislike him. They dislike him because a lot of our fellow Pats fans can be brash arrogant *******s, they dislike him for our coach which I bet is the most hated coach in the league, and they dislike him because he is ****** successful and has a hot ass wife being a 6th rounder!

So, it's more of a case of being guilty by association. In my opinion, his personal life is irrelevant.

Personally, I was unaware of such widespread dislike for Brady. It wasn't until the media reported that Brady had fathered a child with ex-girlfriend Bridget Moynahan, and listening to varying comments on the subject, I began to realize that he isn't going to be liked by everyone. Conversely, Belichick and Patriots fans aren't hard to dislike. It's understandable.

I reckon I can separate the personal life from the on the field behavior better than some. Still, to loathe a man for his choice of wife, celebrity status and job success is pathetic. I mean it's pathetic in that you've people who just find reasons to dislike another person simply because there aren't any real reasons evident.

But I give Brady credit, he's intelligent, he can take it all in stride. You've to like that about him. For instance, his response to disparaging remarks made by Antonio Cromartie toward him was classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes