PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roethlisberger Says He Has to Make Plays on His Own While Brady is 'Flat-Footed'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
OPPOSING VIEWS: Roethlisberger Says He Has to Make Plays on His Own While Brady's 'Flat-Footed' in the Pocket
By: Ian Logue

Here are a few of the top stories out of Pittsburgh this morning....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OPPOSING VIEWS: Roethlisberger Says He Has to Make Plays on His Own While Brady's

Maybe it's because Brady can read a defense and get the ball out quickly, while Roethlisberger has to hold the ball for 95 minutes and run around like a chicken with it's head cut off until a wideout is completely open for him to complete a pass.

The Steelers OL isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Re: OPPOSING VIEWS: Roethlisberger Says He Has to Make Plays on His Own While Brady's

Maybe it's because he is so used to chasing drunk teenage girls into bathrooms and raping them?

Brady has enjoyed great pass protection over the years, no doubt about it. He does get a lot of time to throw on average, but he also knows what to do with it and he has the skills to pull it off, both physically and mentally. Put almost any other QB in Brady's position and I guarantee that almost none of them including Roethlis would be able to do what Brady has.

Brees and Rodgers are about the only two that might be able to right now, and in a few years maybe Cam Newton, but Rapistburger? Not.

Last edited:

He has no choice but to make plays on the run when you take a glimpse at that putrid offensive line he has. Maybe he should blame his own players for making him that much worse and stop worrying what Brady does.

Sounds like Big Ben is trying to get Brady off his game plan by attacking his "mental state". Good luck with that Ben.

I took note of the headline
Patriots’ TEs pose matchup problems‎ – Scott BrownBrown takes a look at Patriots tight ends Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski, and notes the personnel match-up issues that both players present to the Steelers.
My question is this. Assuming both TEs are healthy, which team wouldn't have a problem covering our TEs? Would that be a column that can be put in pretty much every week of football?

Maybe if Ben had spent more time working on his own game and studying opponents and learning to decipher defenses and get his offense in the best position to make plays he wouldn't have to make all those plays on his own and his OL and his teamates would be in a better position to do their jobs. Ben running the out of my ass offense had been a choice made at the top of the organization. It's one reason Cowher bailed and the reason Wisenhut went to AZ. From his sophomore season on Ben has lobbied for more passing so he could be like Brady. He started drawing up his own sandlot plays with some of his boys, most of whom the Steelers then shipped out of town... Last season ownership ordered the team to get back to their roots and feature the ground game. Now a year removed from being a pariah in his home town, Ben is getting back to being Ben. Despite all their on field success, Ward had never had great affection for his QB... The selfish credit grabbing, excuse making and lack of accountability, repetitive mental mistakes, lack of real leadership just never resonated with him I guess. Me either. I hate guys who force their teams hand and then commence to limp or clutch a shoulder or grab a wrist when they screw up.

Maybe if Ben had spent more time working on his own game and studying opponents and learning to decipher defenses and get his offense in the best position to make plays he wouldn't have to make all those plays on his own and his OL and his teamates would be in a better position to do their jobs. Ben running the out of my ass offense had been a choice made at the top of the organization. It's one reason Cowher bailed and the reason Wisenhut went to AZ. From his sophomore season on Ben has lobbied for more passing so he could be like Brady. He started drawing up his own sandlot plays with some of his boys, most of whom the Steelers then shipped out of town... Last season ownership ordered the team to get back to their roots and feature the ground game. Now a year removed from being a pariah in his home town, Ben is getting back to being Ben. Despite all their on field success, Ward had never had great affection for his QB... The selfish credit grabbing, excuse making and lack of accountability, repetitive mental mistakes, lack of real leadership just never resonated with him I guess. Me either. I hate guys who force their teams hand and then commence to limp or clutch a shoulder or grab a wrist when they screw up.

wow you took the words right out of my mouth. If Rapistberger can actually read defense and put his OL in better plays, he doesn't have to run around like an idiot. I hated when the media put the blame on his oline all the time when this guy takes forever to pass the ball

Last edited:

Brady would be the first to say he doesn't do it alone and to give generous credit to the various components of the offense who help make it look so easy. OTOH, I wonder what Ben's team thinks about him basically saying he does it all on his own. Moron.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

A couple of things:

1.) As others points out, Roethlisberger is actually pointing out a HUGE deficiency in his own game. He cannot read defenses or make fast decisions. Brady having all day in the pocket is a misnomer. He usually gets rid of the ball too quick for people to get to him.

2.) Roethlisberger is also showing his inability to break down film. Brady is anything but flat-footed. As Ron Jaworski once said, Brady may be the most mobile QB in the NFL. The guy doesn't run around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off like Roethlisberger or Michael Vick, but he does feel the pressure and steps up to avoid defenders better than any QB in the NFL. Roethlisberger doesn't realize that pocket passers can buy time stepping up in the pocket as long as there is no up the middle pressure.

This is why the other thread of saying Roethlisberger is in Brady's league was such a joke. Not only is he half the mental QB that Brady is, he looks too dumb to realize that.

A couple of things:

1.) As others points out, Roethlisberger is actually pointing out a HUGE deficiency in his own game. He cannot read defenses or make fast decisions. Brady having all day in the pocket is a misnomer. He usually gets rid of the ball too quick for people to get to him.

2.) Roethlisberger is also showing his inability to break down film. Brady is anything but flat-footed. As Ron Jaworski once said, Brady may be the most mobile QB in the NFL. The guy doesn't run around the backfield like a chicken with his head cut off like Roethlisberger or Michael Vick, but he does feel the pressure and steps up to avoid defenders better than any QB in the NFL. Roethlisberger doesn't realize that pocket passers can buy time stepping up in the pocket as long as there is no up the middle pressure.
This is why the other thread of saying Roethlisberger is in Brady's league was such a joke. Not only is he half the mental QB that Brady is, he looks too dumb to realize that.

This!

I remember specifically in that Raiders game this year. There was a play when Brady basically had all day in the pocket and one of the defensive lineman finally got through but Brady did that little duck-thingy he does and the guy missed. As soon as he stood up, his footwork continued and he was bouncing up and down, right back into form.

That was awesome.

Last edited:

I think after having his face busted in someone's windshield and taking hard hits to his nose and head from opposing Ds, his concussions are finally taking affect and REALLY getting to him. I'm convinced he has really lost his mind. 1st he's out raping girls and now he's convinced w/o actually saying it, that he's a better QB than Tom Brady, because supposedly Brady has more time. Can't wait to see what he's gonna say after the Patriots get done beating him down for the hundreth time.

BTW—let's give credit where credit is due:

A reply in the comments in one of Ian's links, from the Steelers writer:

I can scarcely believe people would bring up the "cheating'' issue. Those are ultimate crybaby tactics. The Patriots have kicked the Steelers butts and cheating has nothing to do with it. Give it a rest. --- Bob Smizik

:rocker:

A Squealers' writer who doesn't lick the Rooney Rules' a-Holes?

I'm shocked. No, really, I am.

Didn't realize how sensitive the Pats fanbase really is. A reporter asked Ben what it was that makes Brady so good and how to rattle him. I've seen Tom Brady have literally 10 seconds to throw the football while Ben doesn't even hit his 2 step drop with FREE LINEMAN in his face. The Steelers offensive line is seriously putrid but have been playing solid lately, giving Roethlisberger time and Ben's delivering. Brady has the greatest WR possibly of all time racking up yards after the catch. Welker takes 4 yard dump offs and churns them into 10-15 yard plays. Ben is always heavily under pressure and rarely has a dumpoff option until recently. Everything that has been said so far isn't a knock towards anybody, just the truth. Brady is flat-footed in the pocket. All you got to do is give the eyeball test. Dude stands there waiting for his pizza to be delivered while Roethlisberger runs for his life after a mir second.

Didn't realize how sensitive the Pats fanbase really is. A reporter asked Ben what it was that makes Brady so good and how to rattle him. I've seen Tom Brady have literally 10 seconds to throw the football while Ben doesn't even hit his 2 step drop with FREE LINEMAN in his face. The Steelers offensive line is seriously putrid but have been playing solid lately, giving Roethlisberger time and Ben's delivering. Brady has the greatest WR possibly of all time racking up yards after the catch. Welker takes 4 yard dump offs and churns them into 10-15 yard plays. Ben is always heavily under pressure and rarely has a dumpoff option until recently. Everything that has been said so far isn't a knock towards anybody, just the truth. Brady is flat-footed in the pocket. All you got to do is give the eyeball test. Dude stands there waiting for his pizza to be delivered while Roethlisberger runs for his life after a mir second.

So, should we all talk in these sort of generalities, or can we discuss what actually happens on the field? Many's the time that Roethlisberger has been able to make pizza in his backfield, and many's the time that Brady has had to move/run for his life. Roethlisberger extends plays by running out of the pocket. Brady extends plays by maneuvering inside the pocket. As a result, the obvious way to make Brady uncomfortable is to force him out of the pocket, not just to make him move within it, while the way to make Roethlisberger uncomfortable is to collapse the pocket from the wings so that he can't run away from the pressure.

Had Roethlisberger phrased it that way, I doubt there would be an issue. Instead, he seems to have stupidly talked about Brady being flat footed out there. He should know better, assuming he watches film of other QBs.

Last edited:

Bradys oline is good no doubt but you will see for yourself that Brady gives out the blocking assignments thus enabling them to know who to block making it easier for the Oline.

Several things:

- The Steelers' offensive line problems is a recent phenomenon, but Roethlisberger holding onto the ball too long is a career long occurance.

- Moss hasn't been with the Patriots since September of last year. His rapid decline started midseason of 2009. Brady really only had the elite Moss for a year and a half.

- Claiming that Welker does all the work and Brady just dumps it off to him really is ignorant to how Brady works.

- Part of the reason Brady has a lot of time is because unlike Roethlisberger he is smart enough to read defenses, call audibles and check offs on the line, point out blocking assignments to his linemen and other blockers, and knows when to make the quick read. These skills along with others are what makes Brady among the greatest of all time. Part of the reason Roethlisberger is constantly under pressure is because he doesn't do these things nearly as well and can't read the blitzes and make the adjustment before the snap.

- It is kinda funny, but it seems that Steelers fans are the sensitive ones. They seem desperate to prove the ridiculous that Roethlisberger is as good or better than Brady. Although no objective observer could agree with that, they keep pushing. Rather than accept Roethlisberger is among the best of the next tier of QBs, they keep trying to make excuses for the guy for his deficiencies.

Last edited:

Several things:

- The Steelers' offensive line problems is a recent phenomenon, but Roethlisberger holding onto the ball too long is a career long occurance.

- Moss hasn't been with the Patriots since September of last year. His rapid decline started midseason of 2009. Brady really only had the elite Moss for a year and a half.

- Claiming that Welker does all the work and Brady just dumps it off to him really is ignorant to how Brady works.

- Part of the reason Brady has a lot of time is because unlike Roethlisberger he is smart enough to read defenses, call audibles and check offs on the line, point out blocking assignments to his linemen and other blockers, and knows when to make the quick read. These skills along with others are what makes Brady among the greatest of all time. Part of the reason Roethlisberger is constantly under pressure is because he doesn't do these things nearly as well and can't read the blitzes and make the adjustment before the snap.

- It is kinda funny, but it seems that Steelers fans are the sensitive ones. They seem desperate to prove the ridiculous that Roethlisberger is as good or better than Brady. Although no objective observer could agree with that, they keep pushing. Rather than accept Roethlisberger is among the best of the next tier of QBs, they keep trying to make excuses for the guy for his deficiencies.

After all you just said, I respect Roethlisberger's game even more after tuning into seeing Tom Brady. Roethlisberger does hold onto the ball too long at certain times but it has nothing to do with not reading defense's or lacking in his decision making. The dude's wideouts are consistently running 15 yards downfield, with no dumpoff option and his offensive line gives him a sorry second to make a decision. The athletic ability he portrays in holding onto the ball, stiff arming defensive lineman, getting out of the pocket and finding an open man is just as elusive as Brady throwing quick, 3 yard outs to Wes Welker.

Ben is not Tom Brady NOR Peyton Manning and we don't want him to be because quite frankly, behind that offensive line, Brady and Manning would be eating dirt and would be sacked atleast 7 times a game. I'd gladly take Ben's style over Brady's. It's simply how Pittsburgh plays and it's dangerous. Hopefully, you'll see how much Ben can be dangerous now when he's actually equipped with talent around him in the passing game.

The Jets last season in the post-season made out a great blue-print into beating Brady. People were in his face constantly (something Ben deals with every game) and the moment and second his timing is off and those short to intermediate routes aren't there and there's guys flying around him, he folds like a lawn chair and looks mediocre at best. Fortunately for N.E fans, Brady is never exposed in the pocket with NO guys around him, ever. But when there are, he's beatable. Roethlisberger just gets warmed up with pressure around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes