PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney's done (at least for this year). What should the Pats do?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would you like to see the Pats do now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did Wilson get cut by Houston? I thought he was on their active roster?

Tampa cut him and Houston picked him up. I think he's been inactive.....for Houston!!!!

Just to throw this out there cause no one has mentioned it yet, and I'm not saying I'm advocating it either...its just..a possibility..

there is a safety out there that already knows our system very well, and is not playing currently..

Eugene Wilson.

That is a damn fine shout squire.

A name I've not seen mentioned, who I thought looked okay in pre-season and has seen time on the PS, is Mark Dillard. Looked athletic, fast, and a decent tackler.

Trade for Ed Reed. Problem solved. ;)

I guess I have to go with "other" on this. Lynch is done. He showed a lot of hustle in pre season but not a lot of ability IMO. Law is not a fit here. I am not sure who will be the back up Safety but I do think we have 2 solid ones. Maybe Slater, Maybe Ventrone, Most Likely Spann will fill in as needed. Or maybe oneof the younge CBs will see the field more on passing downs

Last edited:
Polling the forum for thoughts. Add comments or other ideas.

You get a cookie if you guess right.

sb10069604u-001.jpg
Other, tape it up, shoot him up, and send him back out. That dude may be just tough enough to do it and he would do it if he could. Miss him as a Charger, they let him go too soon...obviously.

There are a number of different positions to fill:

1. True backup safety.
2. Hybrid safety/LB.
3. Nickel and dime back. (Since Meriweather was in that mix as a non-starter.)

#3 is the easiest.
#2 could be filled by LBs rather than Ss in at least two ways -- giving more PT to Woods and moving Thomas to the slot, or by Guyton.
#1 is probably filled by the current depth chart -- and yes, why not work out Wilson?

Last edited:
I would like the Pats to do what they will do.

NOT A DAMN THING!

Belichick has been wrestling with the problem of sitting a very slowed Rodney down,without losing his leadership or wrecking the lockeroom psyche. Now that issue is solved for him. James Sanders goes to the position that he is suited for, that is Strong Safety. Sanders has been set back trying to be a FS or in Belispeak the RS. He is a natural LS, i.e. SS.

Meriwether becomes a full time FS, the position that he was drafted as a #1, to play. The Safety position will be much better next season, (and probably this season too, eventually), as Sanders and Meriwether settle in to the full time positions.

Rodney heads into retirement, with a Victory.

When Tank returns from IR, next year the Safety position will be fully rebuilt. :cool:

EXACTLY what i was thinking, and in the meantime as I recall slater looked decent at safety in the preseason

Firstly Wilson is with the Texans..so we can't work him out...
Dillard might be brought back...not sure if he's ready for the 53, but I think having time on the PSqd will help his devlopment. I liked him as well...Spann might be the short term answer.

I would prefer that we sign Lynch or Law, but I don't we'll do so. Lynch apparently wasn't good enough and midseason is not the time for Law to start to play out of position.

Activating Spann seems right. More reps for Richardson is another possibility. These guys both practice with the team each week. My bet is that they have played some safety in practice.

Supposedly Slater was the #4 safety, but I'm not not buying. Ventrone SHOULD be the man, but somehow is hasn't been a safety for awhile.

That's about how I see it regarding Spann and Richardson.
But I'm not disappointed we didn't sign Lynch or Law to replace him.
You are right, though. They will not be signing either one of them.
Especially not Law. Maybe, small chance they'd sign Lynch.

Several of you called. Antwain Spann it is!

I would like the Pats to do what they will do.

NOT A DAMN THING!

Belichick has been wrestling with the problem of sitting a very slowed Rodney down,without losing his leadership or wrecking the lockeroom psyche. Now that issue is solved for him. James Sanders goes to the position that he is suited for, that is Strong Safety. Sanders has been set back trying to be a FS or in Belispeak the RS. He is a natural LS, i.e. SS.

Meriwether becomes a full time FS, the position that he was drafted as a #1, to play. The Safety position will be much better next season, (and probably this season too, eventually), as Sanders and Meriwether settle in to the full time positions.

Rodney heads into retirement, with a Victory.

When Tank returns from IR, next year the Safety position will be fully rebuilt. :cool:

I know that's the fanboy concensus but I guarantee you it's not Bill's. Rodney has played as well as anyone on this defense to date this season, message board opinions to the contrary. I do think that we are in a better position developmentally to absorb the loss now than we were at this time last season, but it remains to be seen if we will. Otherwise Bill would have saved his cap $3M in pure salary...

Voted other: promote Spann from the practice squad. :D

I think Lynch is pretty much done, and there's no way he's playing here this season.

Law if they can afford it, otherwise Lynch

Miami supposedly had Law in for a look see...anybody here anything more?

who was playing ss after harrison left - sanders or meriweather?

I'm just wondering how that will shake out going fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back