PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudpro

Rookie
Reaction score
Long time Pats fan here. Rodney Harrison, arguably the best Saftey in the game when he was active. He's coming back from a season injury and he's in his thirties(33?). Do you guys think he still has it in him? I sure hope he does. (On a side note, I hope the Pats can reclaim the Superbowl. It was like a bullet wound to the chest watching Brady & Company fall to the Broncos.)

pudpro said:
Long time Pats fan here. Rodney Harrison, arguably the best Saftey in the game when he was active. He's coming back from a season injury and he's in his thirties(33?). Do you guys think he still has it in him? I sure hope he does. (On a side note, I hope the Pats can reclaim the Superbowl. It was like a bullet wound to the chest watching Brady & Company fall to the Broncos.)

IMO not only does he still have it inside him, he's got enough to spread it around, take it to the bank, and leave them gasping for more!!!:rocker:

pudpro said:

* I think Rodney still has it in his head, but we'll have to see about his knee. Didn't he pop 3 ligaments? I'm not sure any player came back the next year and played as well as he did when he got hurt. Usually takes an extra year to get back to that level. But, I'm open to exceptions -:)

If desire and heart are the criteria for his return I would say yes, but I do not know how his body will respond..

Key thing to be done is to bring him back slowly!! Start him off in a few situational spots and then carefully increase his participation more and more throughout the year. He , hopefully, will get back to his peak efficiency just prior to the playoffs which would be exactly when we want him at his best!

At the same time, all through the year, he'll be teaching and coaching all the other safeties in the system the nuances of the BB defensive strategies. Gonna be a hell of a year with everyone hungry and pissed off about being disrespected again!! I'm seriously looking forward to "Bill and Scott's Excellent Adventure" again. :D :D

Mind over matter, mind over matter. :D

Pain is temporary, rings are forever.

Come on, you think his body would be dumb enough to say no to Rodney?? :D

edgecy said:
Excellent line! :rocker:

(By the way, T-minus 60 seconds and counting until Patsnut gets to work, finds this thread and goes, um, nuts on any doubters. You've been warned.)
:D

Last edited:
PatsChick87 said:
IMO not only does he still have it inside him, he's got enough to spread it around, take it to the bank, and leave them gasping for more!!!:rocker:

Great post. :rocker:

I'm still amazed at all of the keyboard doctors on this site giving their uneducated medical opinions of Rodneys situation.

He's already come out and made a statement about his condition, his progress, and that he is coming back. Why isn't that good enough for these speculators?

San Diego thought he was done when they released him. I think that is what motivated him. SO please keep saying that Rodney can't come back, I'll post it on his locker (when he is not around), just before he goes out there and de-cleats the first WR that crosses his path!

Rodney will be back, count on it!

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, but rather the size of the fight in the dog..."

- General Dwight D. Eisenhower (and Rodney Harrison's mom)

he is my favorite player in the NFL

I love Rodney, and he wants to be back and in top form, but medically. . .it may not happen.

Look at Corey Dillon last year. He had a chip on his shoulder the size of Alaska from all the reporters hounding him about his age. . .And he still wasn't himself.

And Colvin. . .it took him an entire season to gain form after breaking his hip.

Patsnut, there are some of us with medical education that MAY know a thing or two. . .but considering we also probably don't know the full extent of his condition, rehab, and training, it's a safe bet to say that the whole situation is clear as mud and we'll find out in September!

I have complete faith that Rodney will be back and will be disappointed if he is not.

I cannot think any other way.

Last edited:
edgecy said:
Mind over matter, mind over matter. :D

Pain is temporary, rings are forever.

Excellent post. Rodney says he will be back, I believe him. He will be fine if he says so. I wont argue and his knee better not, either!

However, he is 33, and I see us drafting an animal in training at the end of the month. So in a year or two when Rodney decides to hang em up, we will have his replacement on staff.

milwaukeebeers44 said:
Patsnut, there are some of us with medical education that MAY know a thing or two. . .but considering we also probably don't know the full extent of his condition, rehab, and training, it's a safe bet to say that the whole situation is clear as mud and we'll find out in September!

Those with medical educations should be the very last to speculate on Rodney's or any one else's condition. They should know that not every injury is the same. They should also know that unless they have examined the injury, looked at the MRI's and Scans, and preformed the surgery,their opinion of the injury is as good as a used car salesmans opinion.

I always get a kick out of the news media whenever some important has a medical condition, they trot out doctors who have not been within 1000 miles of the patient. Yet, these doctors will give an opinion on national TV.:eek:

I'll take what Rodney has said and what he says his doctors have told him over keyboard practitioners any day.

PATSNUTme said:
Those with medical educations should be the very last to speculate on Rodney's or any one else's condition. They should know that not every injury is the same. They should also know that unless they have examined the injury, looked at the MRI's and Scans, and preformed the surgery,their opinion of the injury is as good as a used car salesmans opinion.

Yes, they should know that they can't comment on this specific situation without having examined Mr. Harrison, but I certainly would listen to them when they talk about the trends and patterns associated with such injuries(e.g., the fact that an injury like Rodney's is likely to take the average person X months to heal).

But, of course, anyone who wants to claim that Rodney is "average" is welcome to wait for Rodney in the Pats' parking lot and tell Rodney that to his face. ;)

It's a tough Road

I had that exact same injury in college. It took two plus years to get over it and I was only 20 years old, not 33 like Rodney. The biggest thing is lateral movement. He'll regain his 4.8 speed in a straight line fairly quickly. However the stopping and startting and cutting and pushing off will be the last thing to return. He'll lose a step or two of lateral movement from this injury.
A lot of time on the bike, laps in the pool, rolling around on those darn big balls, and of course many hours with the sadistist and evil Physical Therapist.
He's got a lot of hard tears to shed before he comes back. Been there and done that.

Last edited:
He's doing it, man.

Anyone tougher in the NFL? It's all about the mind. Remember that Harrison is staying in Foxboro this offseason, rather than going back home to Atlanta as he traditionally does.

The man means business. It's a long, tough journey. But he's making it.

He's one of the reasons the Patriots defense will be rejuvenated this year and why we'll go 14-2.

How could Rodney Harrison NOT be a person's favorite Patriot? He is mine, esp. after Andruzzi sign with Cleveland.

Ochmed Jones said:
I had that exact same injury in college. It took two plus years to get over it and I was only 20 years old, not 33 like Rodney. The biggest thing is lateral movement. He'll regain his 4.8 speed in a straight line fairly quickly. However the stopping and startting and cutting and pushing off will be the last thing to return. He'll lose a step or two of lateral movement from this injury.
A lot of time on the bike, laps in the pool, rolling around on those darn big balls, and of course many hours with the sadistist and evil Physical Therapist.
He's got a lot of hard tears to shed before he comes back. Been there and done that.

Not trying to be a dip**** here. But how do you know it was the "exact same injury"? Did you see his MRI or Scans? Your injury could have been much more severe than his with more nerve damage.

How long ago was it? Medical science has made advancements in treating and repairing injuries. Twenty years ago I knew someone who had gall bladder surgury, she was in a lot of pain, in the hospital for 5 days, and took her 8 weeks to recover. Five years ago, someone else i know had gall blatter surgery. She was up walking around and didn't stay over night in the hospital. Recovery was a week.

I don't know how bad his injury was. I do know what he said and that is all I'm going on. Anything else is just speculation.

PATSNUTme said:
Not trying to be a dip**** here. But how do you know it was the "exact same injury"? Did you see his MRI or Scans? Your injury could have been much more severe than his with more nerve damage.

How long ago was it? Medical science has made advancements in treating and repairing injuries. Twenty years ago I knew someone who had gall bladder surgury, she was in a lot of pain, in the hospital for 5 days, and took her 8 weeks to recover. Five years ago, someone else i know had gall blatter surgery. She was up walking around and didn't stay over night in the hospital. Recovery was a week.

I don't know how bad his injury was. I do know what he said and that is all I'm going on. Anything else is just speculation.

Agreed, especially when one recalls that he delayed the surgery this fall. There was a lot of speculation at the time that perhaps his injury was "different"? Bottom line is that we probably won't know until he retires, (hopefully many yrs from now);)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back