PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison = Takeo Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
torn achilles is nasty stuff. ended LT's career for the Giants (the real LT in my mind.) what players have ever returned to form after that?

I have been reading all the threads on why we should or should not make a run @ Takeo Spikes and they all make valid points.

As I think about this move, the one person that keeps popping into my head is Rodney Harrison.

Consider the things being said about Spikes as arguments for NOT signing him:

"What has this guy got left in the tank?"

"He was an impact player earlier in his career, but the past couple of years, he has fallen off..."

Etc. etc.

Just sounds like the same stuff people were saying about Rodney.

There is something about these older players that come to New England under Belichick and revive their careers (Harrison, Corey Dillon, Bryan Cox, Randy Moss) and I have no reason to believe Spikes could not do the same.

The guy is an impact player when he is "on his game" and with our holes at LB, why not take a shot at him?
yeah all he'd need is some hgh and he'll be good as new

Ouchie. How did you find time between your classes at Oxford to come up with that one, genius?

There is something to be said for aging vets coming to NE and revitalizing their careers (what is in the water over there?). This is not the case with Spikes. The achilles and rotator cuff injury have really hurt his greatest asset as a LB... his explosiveness. Pass.

Well, at least with the HGH it didn't increase his performance. Just helped him heal quicker. Not like the roids that Castillo and Merriman were doing...

Bring him in, let him pass the physical, and sit him down and explain to him the PATRIOT WAY. We pay for play, we NEED a guy like the old HIM. But he has to play a role,not be THE GUY. BB has always liked him, his intensity and his motor. If we bring him in and he FITS, there isnt much sense in relying on Seau as it sounds as if he might be pretty banged up...Seau is a good guy to have on the street during the season(or on the pup list).Get him his ring....

Well, at least with the HGH it didn't increase his performance. Just helped him heal quicker. Not like the roids that Castillo and Merriman were doing...

I thought you presented yourself as a unbiased observer, statements like this sound an awful lot like pure homerism.

Biggest rule of thumb in the free agency period. The bigger names you sign, the less you win.
Its obvious why. Big names have reputation, and you pay for reputation. The cardinal sin of free agency is to pay for what a player was, not what he will be for you.
Amen...which I why I think Seward will be taken more seriously

There is something I have a hard time being specific about that I dont like about Spikes.
I think my impression is that he thinks he is a lot better than he really is, and has made some head schratching comments along those lines.
It is only a gut instinct, but I get the feeling he is not a real good team player.

I also have reservations about the fact that he has never played on a team that won. He also has been identified as an impact guy who was supposed to be the reason he teams 'got over the top'.

Maybe he was the right guy in the wrong situation, maybe he was part of the problem rather than the answer for his underachievin gteams.

Yeah, maybe he is not as good as he thinks he is, however he could revive his career in our 34. A lot of guys aren't as good as they thought they were, esp. when they left NE. The right system helps and Spikes in our system, I believe would help.

Spikes is kinda a blow-hard but who was any more a blow hard than Harrison coming in here. Look, the system means a lot to older vetern players. How the organization runs means a lot to the older guys. In my opinion I think Spikes has 2-3, maybe more, quality years left.

I'd have no problem offering him a short term incentive type contract.

Yeah, maybe he is not as good as he thinks he is, however he could revive his career in our 34. A lot of guys aren't as good as they thought they were, esp. when they left NE. The right system helps and Spikes in our system, I believe would help.

Spikes is kinda a blow-hard but who was any more a blow hard than Harrison coming in here. Look, the system means a lot to older vetern players. How the organization runs means a lot to the older guys. In my opinion I think Spikes has 2-3, maybe more, quality years left.

I'd have no problem offering him a short term incentive type contract.

I am not sure how much this system or the organization means to Spikes..I think THAT is the question..the green may mean a bit more...and if that's the case..he won't be a good fit. Attitude is really what is important..being PART of a team concept..I don't know if he is that type..I agree short term contract..but my guess is he'll go elsewhere..for a LARGER contract..Maybe I will be wrong..but that is my guess..If he's here, then I know they may have a solid ILB...

Ouchie. How did you find time between your classes at Oxford to come up with that one, genius?
i didn't say it was a bad thing, if you can get away with it, go for it , right?

oh it definitely increased his performance, it's cool though cause he helped win 2 of your superbowls before getting popped for it

Don't forget Steve Foley, who also tested positive after getting shot by a cop.

The Chargers must hand out the stuff like candy.

Last edited:
i didn't say it was a bad thing, if you can get away with it, go for it , right?

That's not how I feel about violating rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes