PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison says Seymour not thrilled with the trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we would keep him but I think by holding out and going for more money is the reason for the attacks.
He had a choice, take less money than he could probably get on the open market and a cap friendly deal and I think he could've retired a Patriot. He chose this path. FWIW I always thought he was a hard working player and one of the best on the D even after his surgery.

Yeah, he could have agreed to stay here for less, but he chose not to. How many posters on this board would pass up a raise to stick with a company that they knew felt absolutely no loyalty to you (ie would fire you in a heartbeat if it ever made financial sense to)?

The Patriots have shown time and again that they won't be bound by a sense of loyalty to a player, and that's fine. Rodney outright said that he retired because he knew they were about to 'whack' him. Has anyone given more than Rodney has? When it came down to dollars and cents, the Pats don't care about that stuff- they care about getting the most talent possible for their money. Yet when a player talks about wanting to get appropriate money for his talent, the guy becomes a pariah around here.

I have no problem with the Pats' philosophy, because that's how you win in the salary cap era. By the same token, though, if a player takes the same approach, I'm not going to rake him over the coals for it, because these guys have long lives ahead of them, and they want to make sure that they and their kids never have to worry about money. If someone wants to be paid appropriately, that doesn't mean that he doesn't care about winning, or anything like that. Hell, Tom Brady gets paid more than anyone on the team, and he's all but said that he's looking for a raise. Are you guys (not you specifically, more of a general thing) going to turn on him next?

Last edited:
Yeah, he could have agreed to stay here for less, but he chose not to. How many posters on this board would pass up a raise to stick with a company that they knew felt absolutely no loyalty to you (ie would fire you in a heartbeat if it ever made financial sense to)?

The Patriots have shown time and again that they won't be bound by a sense of loyalty to a player, and that's fine. Rodney outright said that he retired because he knew they were about to 'whack' him. Has anyone given more than Rodney has? When it came down to dollars and cents, the Pats don't care about that stuff- they care about getting the most talent possible for their money. Yet when a player talks about wanting to get appropriate money for his talent, the guy becomes a pariah around here.

I have no problem with the Pats' philosophy, because that's how you win in the salary cap era. By the same token, though, if a player takes the same approach, I'm not going to rake him over the coals for it, because these guys have long lives ahead of them, and they want to make sure that they and their kids never have to worry about money. If someone wants to be paid appropriately, that doesn't mean that he doesn't care about winning, or anything like that. Hell, Tom Brady gets paid more than anyone on the team, and he's all but said that he's looking for a raise. Are you guys (not you specifically, more of a general thing) going to turn on him next?

I dont have a problem with a player doing that either but if he had other choices, he chose this path and thats why he got traded. Personally I wish he wouldnt have held out and signed team friendly deals and stayed here his whole career. He'd still be a rich man but who am I to say who's made enough money.

BTW you could make a case that Brady settled for a lot less money than he could have got so they could have more money to field a better tean around him, if anyone could have held the Pats over a barrel its TB, but he chose not to. Im sure he'll try and egt more this next deal but I think its gets done behind closed doors and one day they'll announce a new deal that will probably be less than top dollar. JMO

Last edited:
I dont have a problem with a player doing that either but if he had other choices, he chose this path and thats why he got traded. Personally I wish he wouldnt have held out and signed team friendly deals and stayed here his whole career. He'd still be a rich man but who am I to say who's made enough money.

BTW you could make a case that Brady settled for a lot less money than he could have got so they could have more money to field a better tean around him, if anyone could have held the Pats over a barrel its TB, but he chose not to. Im sure he'll try and egt more this next deal but I think its gets done behind closed doors and one day they'll announce a new deal that will probably be less than top dollar. JMO

Serious question:

When did Patriots fans start demanding absolute loyalty from every employee while not requiring any loyalty at all from the employer? Vrabel's contract wasn't obscene, and he got shipped off to K.C. A few year's back, Rodney's contract wasn't overly high, yet he had to take a paycut. Milloy had signed a valid contract with the team, yet he got the axe almost on the eve of the season.

I defend the rights of the team to cut players, trade players and re-negotiate with players all the time, but it's getting crazy here with this notion that the players should just be happy taking less money and having less job security at the same time.

Sure, but if he was a real competitor he could easily have signed for only $8M per year, giving us more money to pursue better talent around him. Obviously being sarcastic, but just trying to show the folly of pinning a player's desire to win to his willingness to take a paycut. Brady doesn't need any more money for living expenses than anyone else- why does he need all that money?

Answer: because he wants to get paid, like everyone else. Yeah, he accepted a discount, but he's still the highest paid player on the team by a pretty large margin, and every 'extra' dollar that he takes is a dollar that oculd make us more competitive by going to someone else. Do I hold it against him? Hell no, because I'm consistent- I don't hold it against anyone.

Everyone, including Brady, Seymour, Wilfork, Moss et al- everyone wants to get paid, and there's nothing wrong with that. They have every right to get paid, and I don't get why a lot of people on this board somewhat arbitrarily decide to villainize certain players for it.

Why would I argue with you? If you can't see it and avoid the irony, why shouldn't I enjoy the giggles?

Hmmm.... smells like hypocrisy!

Man, are you ever gonna get tired of twisting things around that people say? The things I have said in regards to Hobbs are the truth, plain and simple. I love Hobbs, and I for one wish he never got traded, regardless of what others say, and I was let down by his comments.

I dont mind you getting a laugh from the "Irony" but don't twist what Im trying to say around so you can look cute. I didnt say anything in regards to Hobbs that have anything to do with the way I reacted to the things people said about Harrison or Seymour. That is unless you are trying to say that what Hobbs said was the truth, in which case, if thats what you're saying, then I do see the hypocrisy. But, in that case, Im hoping you have some insider knowledge to back up what Hobbs said as being the truth. What Rodney did was comment on his own situation, and Seymour's, whom he had earlier had a conversation with. Again, don't try and make it look like I bad mouthed Hobbs because he's gone and voiced the truth. If it was the truth, then I want the proof.

Everyone, including Brady, Seymour, Wilfork, Moss et al- everyone wants to get paid, and there's nothing wrong with that. They have every right to get paid, and I don't get why a lot of people on this board somewhat arbitrarily decide to villainize certain players for it.

It's simple. :)

spikelee3.jpg

We have a rather irrational attachment to these players. If their normal-human-being behavior of going for the $ causes us to reduce that attachment some, I think that's fine.

It's when they're regarded as BAD guys for doing what most people would do that it goes too far.

On the other hand, if they take nasty shots at the team -- then it IS OK to view them as bad guys. ;)

We have a rather irrational attachment to these players. If their normal-human-being behavior of going for the $ causes us to reduce that attachment some, I think that's fine.

It's when they're regarded as BAD guys for doing what most people would do that it goes too far.

On the other hand, if they take nasty shots at the team -- then it IS OK to view them as bad guys. ;)

Me personally, I have no problem with a player wanting more money. If they can get it somewhere else, and thats what they think will make them happy, then go for it. I just don't like the players who whine about it publicly. I feel i deserve more money for what i do. I will not however, whine about it to my fellow workers, or make it public knowledge. Thats just me though :D

Serious question:

When did Patriots fans start demanding absolute loyalty from every employee while not requiring any loyalty at all from the employer? Vrabel's contract wasn't obscene, and he got shipped off to K.C. A few year's back, Rodney's contract wasn't overly high, yet he had to take a paycut. Milloy had signed a valid contract with the team, yet he got the axe almost on the eve of the season.

I defend the rights of the team to cut players, trade players and re-negotiate with players all the time, but it's getting crazy here with this notion that the players should just be happy taking less money and having less job security at the same time.

Cry me a river poor players. No job security, give me 10 million guaranteed abd I will be pretty damn secure

Seymour loves to play on passing downs because that is where a DE makes money, sacks. With tom brady back, and the patriots offense click clacking agian, chances are the patriots will have a big lead forcing other opponents to throw the ball. Seymour will get his sacks and a big cheque come FA.

When he got traded to the raiders, its harder now for him to get his pay day because the raiders suck morel than the middle east.

At least the raiders are a franchise that is known to give out big pay cheques. This trade will go through. Seymour will be happey, the raiders will be happy they got a pro bowl run stopping DE, the patriots will get a 1st round pick.

Everybody will be happy despite what the media says.

I love Big Sey as much as anyone. Certainly appreciate everything he's done for the team, but after that BS he pulled in 2005, while all the while smugly claiming "it's just business", I don't have much sympathy at this point.

It's just business Rich, now go man up and take your place on that cesspool of an NFL team. You've been traded, get over it.

Very well said.

That's cool. It's just a pet peeve of mine how some fans feel the need to trash our guys after they leave.

A lot of people trashed the guy when he was here. Team guys tend not to get trashed as much. Don't feel too bad for Richard, I bet he gets picked up by a good team next year, and he'll get his second big FA contract.

Perhaps Sey will learn from this whole experience. Imagine him resigning to a good team at a discount cuz that's where he want's to be and the type of organization he wants to be around? He's might not be a great team guy, but from what I gather, he's a very intelligent dood, an excellent friend, a great family man and has some strong core values. Though not likely, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the "good team" he eventually signs with is the Pats. That would make an amazing story.

Last edited:
you can say all you want about him he was the key peace in a 3-4 D that won 3 super bowls and he's a 5 time pro bowler and he's still 29

haynesworth got 100 million and he's not half the player seymour is

seymour will get he's big pay day and beleve it or not he will put up number in oakland

Just as Samuel did, just as Harrison publically recommended, Seymour can choose not to report. That is one of his options.

Apparently, you don't think that players/workers should have options. Apparently, you think (as some in Oakland) that teams can trade you and you should report the next day in Oakland. After all, many in Oakland and in the national media are reporting that Seymour missed practice today. Guess what, he isn't a raider yet. And, there are ZERO consequences of him not showing up for 5 days after getting a formal letter, which he probably got today if such papers can legally be served on a holiday.

In any case, under the CBA, a player can choose not to report.

I certainly understand that some owners and some fans think that players like Seymour get paid enough that they should go wherever they're told to go and do whatever they are told to do. Thankfully for the players, there is a CBA.

Bastid, ya just altered my perspective. I was perfectly happy with that particular illusion. :(

you can say all you want about him he was the key peace in a 3-4 D that won 3 super bowls and he's a 5 time pro bowler and he's still 29

haynesworth got 100 million and he's not half the player seymour is

seymour will get he's big pay day and beleve it or not he will put up number in oakland

I think that regardless of where Oakland puts Sey, he will have a very good year.

Sure, but if he was a real competitor he could easily have signed for only $8M per year, giving us more money to pursue better talent around him. Obviously being sarcastic, but just trying to show the folly of pinning a player's desire to win to his willingness to take a paycut. Brady doesn't need any more money for living expenses than anyone else- why does he need all that money?

Answer: because he wants to get paid, like everyone else. Yeah, he accepted a discount, but he's still the highest paid player on the team by a pretty large margin, and every 'extra' dollar that he takes is a dollar that oculd make us more competitive by going to someone else. Do I hold it against him? Hell no, because I'm consistent- I don't hold it against anyone.

For years I was a consultant, so I've dealt with many, many people in the IT world. Most of my gigs were a month or more, so I really got to know some of the people I worked with, and had learned much about the IT industry, and people within it, from that experience. There were many guys who chased the biggest paychecks, and most of them were the ones that *****ed the most about job conditions. Often times, the money is good just to retain people, cuz the working environment sucks. There were also people who searched for the right situation, and settled for a "fair wage", and a few who even took a "low" wage to work there. A few, real lucky ones, had both. There is usually a price for those who chase the bigeest money. Persue at your own peril.

Last edited:
I don't care if he's thrilled or not. He has no problem saying "It's business" when it serves him, he needs to suck it up when "It's business" serves the team. He would have had no problem doing whatever he could to get every penny he could when his contract is up. He's not one of those players who would have given a home team discount or anything.

He has done a great job for the Pats and has been paid for it. I like Seymour, I have his jersey, but I hope he does not screw up this trade. I know he can hold out, but it will cost him money and he may not be eligible for free agency. I don't think he will do that (he's not going to cost himself money) but I am afraid his pouting can get the raiders to pull out of the trade. Then we are stuck with a disgruntled Seymour and lose a sweet first round pick!

You would think if the raiders felt strong enough to do this trade they will figure that even if Seymour pouts for a while in the end it will be worth it. Everyone knows Seymour is currently healthy and is going to play his butt off so he can get big deal in free agecy. Of course, you never know with the raiders.

Either way, BB strikes again! The man is totally awesome!!

A lot of people trashed the guy when he was here. Team guys tend not to get trashed as much. Don't feel too bad for Richard, I bet he gets picked up by a good team next year, and he'll get his second big FA contract.

Perhaps Sey will learn from this whole experience. Imagine him resigning to a good team at a discount cuz that's where he want's to be and the type of organization he wants to be around? He's might not be a great team guy, but from what I gather, he's a very intelligent dood, an excellent friend, a great family man and has some strong core values. Though not likely, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the "good team" he eventually signs with is the Pats. That would make an amazing story.
I sadly think it is outside the possibility...it's the green..the money..players who GO for the green never change...nice fantasy though. Not happening.

I love ya Rodney but shut the #### UP

Why should he? What Harrison said made a lot of sense, including a description of Seymour's value to the Raiders.

I sadly think it is outside the possibility...it's the green..the money..players who GO for the green never change...nice fantasy though. Not happening.

I never said it was likely.:) I just happen to think Richard, being a pretty good person, has a chance to learn a valuable lesson. Sometimes, you don't know what you got till it's gone. Stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back