PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison is going to missed... in more ways than one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phlash

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Guys, I'm worried about this team without Rodney. He was the leading tackler on this team, on pace for 120 tackles this season. He was playing like old Rodney and now he's gone. Losing his leadership is going to be difficult for the defense. Sanders and Meriweather are going to have to step up, and while neither is going to replace his leadership now, hopefully one of them steps up enough to fill his role as a tackling machine. Without Rodney and Tank Williams, I'm not sure that we have a safety that can meet the RB at the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis. I really hope that I'm proven wrong, but I am afraid that our rush defense is going to be hurt, significantly, without Rodney.

Guys, I'm worried about this team without Rodney. He was the leading tackler on this team, on pace for 120 tackles this season. He was playing like old Rodney and now he's gone. Losing his leadership is going to be difficult for the defense. Sanders and Meriweather are going to have to step up, and while neither is going to replace his leadership now, hopefully one of them steps up enough to fill his role as a tackling machine. Without Rodney and Tank Williams, I'm not sure that we have a safety that can meet the RB at the line of scrimmage on a consistent basis. I really hope that I'm proven wrong, but I am afraid that our rush defense is going to be hurt, significantly, without Rodney.
"it is what it is, im concentrating on the guys on the practice field right now, the backups are expected to step up or they wouldnt be on the team i have complete confidence in them, injuries are part of the game none of the other teams are going to feel sorry for you"""

I knew that was a BB quote almost immediately.

His loss will hurt but did you expect him to be around forever? This is Meriweather's chance to prove that he is the leader of the future in that secondary. He's been playing pretty much lights out football so far this year and I have faith that he will continue in Rodney's place. I do share your concerns about Meriweather being able to consistently meet the RB at the LOS though. But we shall see on that front...

Rodney's amazing, but as Kontra said, these vets can't play forever. BEtween the draft and injuries, we may actually have a faster/younger defense by playoff time. That would be good news, especially as they get graduated in.

Rodney's amazing, but as Kontra said, these vets can't play forever. BEtween the draft and injuries, we may actually have a faster/younger defense by playoff time. That would be good news, especially as they get graduated in.

Check your friend requests. [/spam]

Check your friend requests. [/spam]

LOL

I hate to see us start a new thread now that the mods have begun martial law, but I think it's really exciting to see what our D may look like in December, even if some of the fellas are just resting more.

I'd be really surprised if this draft goes down badly in the books. Even if a couple of picks don't turn out, the UDFA's just might prove to have been the best grabs (Mayo aside) of the draft.

I'm excited BJGE is going to get a chance to prove something to the fans that he may have already proven to the coaches, too.

Exciting. I predict that by next year there will be media-wide disappointment that they can't call us old and slow anymore. If the puppetmaster is back at full strength next year, we could very well eat the AFC alive, what with the Jets rebuilding again and all.

**Yeah, I know, not s'posed to talk about next year yet. :rolleyes:

LOL

I hate to see us start a new thread now that the mods have begun martial law, but I think it's really exciting to see what our D may look like in December, even if some of the fellas are just resting more.

I'd be really surprised if this draft goes down badly in the books. Even if a couple of picks don't turn out, the UDFA's just might prove to have been the best grabs (Mayo aside) of the draft.

I'm excited BJGE is going to get a chance to prove something to the fans that he may have already proven to the coaches, too.

Exciting. I predict that by next year there will be media-wide disappointment that they can't call us old and slow anymore. If the puppetmaster is back at full strength next year, we could very well eat the AFC alive, what with the Jets rebuilding again and all.

**Yeah, I know, not s'posed to talk about next year yet. :rolleyes:

I said it before the season even started that this looked like a very solid draft for us. From what little I saw of Wilhite, I liked it. Well, except for the unnecessary roughness penalty. I have a feeling Wheatley is going to be a steal once he's inserted full time. Mayo has already proved his worth and we're going to see what Green-Ellis brings to the table this weekend (I liked what little I saw last week too). Hopefully, we can keep rolling with the punches with another solid draft next year too (hopefully we'll see some new offensive linemen).

You are right, no question about that.

But bear in mind that we already went thru that experience two years ago when Rodney couldn't join us during the playoffs and we fell to the Colts. I am sure that our coaches kept that in mind - and the high probablity that this could have been Rodney's last year - and developed this year's safeties in a manner that they could step up if Rodney is not there.

Wish Tank never got hurt but hey, 'it is what it is' :D and I hope that Merriweather and Sanders do an adequate job of filling Rodney's huge shoes.

some else will become the leader of the defense...

too bad mayo is so young, he would have been the perfect candidta, alas, hell have to wait 2 more years...

so who on the defense takes rodney's role off the field?

some else will become the leader of the defense...

too bad mayo is so young, he would have been the perfect candidate, alas, hell have to wait 2 more years...

so who on the defense takes rodney's role off the field?

Who says he has to wait? As a rookie Ellis Hobbs helped stabilize the secondary, so I see no reason why Mayo can't become a leader on the D. [I'm not saying, BTW, he has a responsibility to do so, or that he should.]

Who says he has to wait? As a rookie Ellis Hobbs helped stabilize the secondary, so I see no reason why Mayo can't become a leader on the D. [I'm not saying, BTW, he has a responsibility to do so, or that he should.]

im not saying on teh field...mayo is a playmaker...but im talking the D's emotional leader...who was rodney to some extent...

now what? Mayo is a fine player, but i dont think he can be considered a leader on the emotional side of football...now with the vets we have on D...

then again, maybe thats the prob, maybe a new guy should become a leader...

im not saying on teh field...mayo is a playmaker...but im talking the D's emotional leader...who was rodney to some extent...

now what? Mayo is a fine player, but i dont think he can be considered a leader on the emotional side of football...now with the vets we have on D...

then again, maybe thats the prob, maybe a new guy should become a leader...

Mayo was penciled in as the future leader of this defense. I still think it's Bruschi but I could easily see Mayo taking on more and more leadership responsibilities as the season progresses.

In terms of the defense I'd imagine Bruschi and Vrabel are the guys most seen as "leaders". There was a moment where the two of them were looking at Rodney down on the field, it reminded me of a war movie where soldiers are looking at the corpse of their buddy or something. They'll step up if they even have any stepping up to do.

I also think AD could become a leader if he's with the team for the long haul. I've seen him do a lot of things on the field like put his arm around guys after a big play. Then again I hate putting stock into body language.

In terms of the defense I'd imagine Bruschi and Vrabel are the guys most seen as "leaders". There was a moment where the two of them were looking at Rodney down on the field, it reminded me of a war movie where soldiers are looking at the corpse of their buddy or something. They'll step up if they even have any stepping up to do.

I also think AD could become a leader if he's with the team for the long haul. I've seen him do a lot of things on the field like put his arm around guys after a big play. Then again I hate putting stock into body language.

AD is a good choice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes