PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison,back to full strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazyDave said:
I don't watch Culpepper much, but is'nt he one of them newfangled "mobile" type QB's? That means he runs around a lot, right?

A new fangle mobile QB would be in the mold of a vick... those that average tend to get in the 700+ yards range...Pep ussualy gets around 400 the most he got was 600 something...

PATSNUTme said:
What won't happen? You can hold me to it and if you were a hot chick you could hold it againts me.

You need to take back the statement that Rodney had not brought back an int for a TD.

That needs to happen before you can lose the troll label.

I'm shocked that other Patriots fans did not slap you around for making that statement.:mad:

I take back the statement that rodney did not bring back a INT for a TD..

So now what?

Rodney is still the 2nd oldest SS in the game with a surgically repaired knee injury that could have ended his career... History shows that similiar injuries to players who use their knees the most will not fully recover for 2 years and most will not be effective till at least a year in their highly knee demanding roles... The closest exmaple to a player with Rodney's injury is Willis Magahee who still hasn't shown that he has fully recovered after three years...

Logic says that Rodney will not be fully recovered...

Logic says that 34 year old DB's with serious knee injuries don't come back..

Logic says that the pats will let him go as soon as he's inefective...

So unless you can change medical science and reverse the process of aging you have some things that you need to come to terms with..

Atheletes don't quit cause they are tired, They are forced out because their body can no longer follow their mind.

Have a nice day...

Last edited:
Welker83 said:
A new fangle mobile QB would be in the mold of a vick... those that average tend to get in the 700+ yards range...Pep ussualy gets around 400 the most he got was 600 something...
Fair Enough. So he's one of them semi-mobile types. Most likely less semi-mobile now, with that knee and all.

Attachments

• AAGG038~Rodney-Harrison-2003-Divisional-Championship-Interception-1-10-04-Photofile-Posters.jpg
    AAGG038~Rodney-Harrison-2003-Divisional-Championship-Interception-1-10-04-Photofile-Posters.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 106
CrazyDave said:
Fair Enough. So he's one of them semi-mobile types. Most likely less semi-mobile now, with that knee and all.

yep...He will most likely be less mobile than he has been in years past...

Last edited:
Welker83 said:
I take back the statement that rodney did not bring back a INT for a TD..

So now what?

Rodney is still the 2nd oldest SS in the game with a surgically repaired knee injury that could have ended his career... History shows that similiar injuries to players who use their knees the most will not fully recover for 2 years and most will not be effective till at least a year in their highly knee demanding roles... The closest exmaple to a player with Rodney's injury is Willis Magahee who still hasn't shown that he has fully recovered after three years...

Logic says that Rodney will not be fully recovered...

Logic says that 34 year old DB's with serious knee injuries don't come back..

Logic says that the pats will let him go as soon as he's inefective...

So unless you can change medical science and reverse the process of aging you have some things that you need to come to terms with..

Atheletes don't quit cause they are tired, They are forced out because their body can no longer follow their mind.

Have a nice day...

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: 85% od Rodney is better than 100 % than anyone else.

Keep trolling down the river that's what fish do.

Michigan Dave said:
You know, I remember being in Pittsburgh, I remember it being really, really cold, I remember being the only Pats fan in the section, I remember Roethlisberger throwing, and then I remember Rodney stepping in front of the pass, and taking off clear across the field. By the time he got to the goalline in front of me, he just had to walk into the end zone.

I know it's been brought up about 9 times between that post and this, but I felt the need to bring it up again. That whole "playoff" thing is kinda foreign to Dolphin fans...

Harrison_INT.jpg

Not to mention the small problem he had with the flu (like Brady) that day!:rocker:

Please, you talk like all the Dolphins players are 21.

Taylor....31
Traylor.....36
Carter....32
Holliday.....30
Thomas......32
Beasley......31

All starters

PATSNUTme said:
:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah: 85% od Rodney is better than 100 % than anyone else.

Keep trolling down the river that's what fish do.

Even you don't believe that... BTW dolphins are mammals.

mavfan2390 said:
Please, you talk like all the Dolphins players are 21.

Taylor....31
Traylor.....36
Carter....32
Holliday.....30
Thomas......32
Beasley......31

All starters

and...if any of these guys suffered a Triple ligament tear at this point in their careers they most likely would end up packing it in...The big boys would almost certaintly be done... Taylor might be able to come back because he's lighter, but he would never be the same...

Welker83 said:

I sure as hell do. If I post it I believe it. I have reason to believe it.

You are right they are mammals and they blow. Who the hell would name their team and who the hell would be a fan of a team named after Flipper.

PATSNUTme said:
I sure as hell do. If I post it I believe it. I have reason to believe it.

You are right they are mammals and they blow. Who the hell would name their team and who the hell would be a fan of a team named after Flipper.

You can attack me all you want... it still doesn't fix the bowl of pasta that used to be Rodney's knee...

Welker83 said:

You really should get over this serious case of Rodney envy that you apparently have! And BTW, he didn't call you a dolphin, he called you a fish!
Well said Nut!:rocker:

Welker83 said:
You can attack me all you want... it still doesn't fix the bowl of pasta that used to be Rodney's knee...

Don't you mean Culpepper's knee? BURN!!

BTW we also didn't give up a 2nd round pick for Rodney. Who bears the higher risk now?

VJCPatriot said:
Don't you mean Culpepper's knee? BURN!!

BTW we also didn't give up a 2nd round pick for Rodney. Who bears the higher risk now?

"I see chips, but where's the dip?...or am I looking at him! BURN!

Welker83 said:
Actually i did say the exact thing about Daunte...Except in your zeal to try and say that fin fans are delusional i want to ask you a simple question...

Does Rodney and Daunte play the same position?

This is an easy one...NO! "That doesn't matter they have the same injury!"....umm yes they have the same injury...but they are a WORLD apart... In case you have not noticed Daunte is a QB and Rodney is a DB... Do you know the difference between these two positions?

i do..I know that one of them has to Run with receivers clocked under 4.4... I know that one of them has to tackle RB's anywhere from 200-255 pounds. I know that one of them has to run on every single play. I know one of them has to deal with players Juking, and cutting. I know one of them who has to jump in the air to play balls... Now would this be Daunte or Rodney?

I understand what you are saying and is a valid point however I think you are minimizing the physical beating that QB's must take. As you have admitted Culpepper has been a pretty mobile QB so far in his career, relying on his legs to get him out of trouble or to create opportunities out of nothing. The injury not only might hinder his ability to move, but could also make him more suseptible to hits once he leaves the pocket. When a QB runs he becomes a RB, who naturally take a beating, but when a defensive player has a chance to get a clean hit on a QB his eyes come alive and he puts a little extra oomph into it. Many QB's get hurt when scrambling that are completely healthy, so there is even more risk for one that recently suffered a devastating knee injury.

You also don't mention that on every play the QB has several 250-320 lb. monsters trying like hell to take the QB's head off. Even is he doesn't have the ball, a QB is still a target for a DL or LB to try to get a quick hit in. The QB also generally stands near the line of scrimmage, were 8 or 9 300 lb. men are often rolling on the ground in a heap with no sense of up or down. Accidents happen, were an unsuspecting QB can get caught up in the line junk like Carson Palmer against Pittsburgh in the playoffs, or one of their own linemen could accidentally role over their leg. Linemen are not the most nimble players and sometimes can't get out of their own way. This threat of course is magnified by the fact that Culpepper may take a hit that a healthy QB would shrug off but because of the weaker knee he is knocked out of the game. Not to mention that a QB relies stable, well-planted looks for power and accuracy.

I also want to make sure you realize that QB's and DB's are just different types of athletes. They have different god given body types, but also train and build their muscles differently depending on the needs of their position. DB's are made to take more contact than a QB. It is possible that Rodney's different physical build could make him able to withstand more than Culpepper after the injury. At the same time Culpepper has an advantage over the average QB because he is quite large.

In an attempt to find a more suitable position comparison to a DB, you bring up RB's because you think they're position has similar physical demands as DB. I disagree because RB's have the shortest average careers of any other position and take the biggest beating. I think a more accurate comparison would be to a LB, especially in Rodney's case because he is a such a physical safety, who often plays like a linebacker. Many LB's and DB's play until the age of 35 or 36, while most RB's are pretty far gone by the age of 33. It is for these reasons I don't really think you can compare Rodney's injury to McGahee's. Also I don't know if you saw his injury but it was far uglier than Rodney's. His knee bent backwards where as Rodney's was more to the side. McGahee's injury resembled that to Theisman.

Rodney has the advantage of having his knee injury occurr about a month before Culpepper's, giving him more time to heal. Rodney has also said that he has always been a quick healer. Reports have been that both Rodney and Culpepper are doing well, so they might both be back for the season. I'm just can't bet against Rodney because he has overcome the odds his entire career and is one of the toughest and most driven players in the NFL.

Last edited:
I think Culpepper is tough, but injury prone. This is the SECOND time his season has ended on a knee injury. People seem to forget what happened a few years back when he went down. He also broke his back scrambling against the Lions.

Sure, Culpepper will play thru an injury if he can, but he has ended two seasons with his knee.

I'm not comparing him to Rodney because I don't see what the point is, and Welker didn't start that argument anyway. But I will say that I am more pessimistic than most about Rodney ever being 100% again. I think he'll play again but not be as good. He may still be as good as what we have, but that is a different matter.

Saw this on the Indy Star message board and thought it merited a mention, but not a new thread. The poster is a long timer named Driven.

"For what it's worth, a friend of mine went to the ESPY's last night and seen Harrison at an after party. My friend asked how the knee was doing, Harrison said that he thinks he will be ready for the season opener, but he thinks the Pats would more likely wait till after the bye."

zippo59 said:
I understand what you are saying and is a valid point however I think you are minimizing the physical beating that QB's must take. As you have admitted Culpepper has been a pretty mobile QB so far in his career, relying on his legs to get him out of trouble or to create opportunities out of nothing. The injury not only might hinder his ability to move, but could also make him more suseptible to hits once he leaves the pocket. When a QB runs he becomes a RB, who naturally take a beating, but when a defensive player has a chance to get a clean hit on a QB his eyes come alive and he puts a little extra oomph into it. Many QB's get hurt when scrambling that are completely healthy, so there is even more risk for one that recently suffered a devastating knee injury.

You also don't mention that on every play the QB has several 250-320 lb. monsters trying like hell to take the QB's head off. Even is he doesn't have the ball, a QB is still a target for a DL or LB to try to get a quick hit in. The QB also generally stands near the line of scrimmage, were 8 or 9 300 lb. men are often rolling on the ground in a heap with no sense of up or down. Accidents happen, were an unsuspecting QB can get caught up in the line junk like Carson Palmer against Pittsburgh in the playoffs, or one of their own linemen could accidentally role over their leg. Linemen are not the most nimble players and sometimes can't get out of their own way. This threat of course is magnified by the fact that Culpepper may take a hit that a healthy QB would shrug off but because of the weaker knee he is knocked out of the game. Not to mention that a QB relies stable, well-planted looks for power and accuracy.

I also want to make sure you realize that QB's and DB's are just different types of athletes. They have different god given body types, but also train and build their muscles differently depending on the needs of their position. DB's are made to take more contact than a QB. It is possible that Rodney's different physical build could make him able to withstand more than Culpepper after the injury. At the same time Culpepper has an advantage over the average QB because he is quite large.

In an attempt to find a more suitable position comparison to a DB, you bring up RB's because you think they're position has similar physical demands as DB. I disagree because RB's have the shortest average careers of any other position and take the biggest beating. I think a more accurate comparison would be to a LB, especially in Rodney's case because he is a such a physical safety, who often plays like a linebacker. Many LB's and DB's play until the age of 35 or 36, while most RB's are pretty far gone by the age of 33. It is for these reasons I don't really think you can compare Rodney's injury to McGahee's. Also I don't know if you saw his injury but it was far uglier than Rodney's. His knee bent backwards where as Rodney's was more to the side. McGahee's injury resembled that to Theisman.

Rodney has the advantage of having his knee injury occurr about a month before Culpepper's, giving him more time to heal. Rodney has also said that he has always been a quick healer. Reports have been that both Rodney and Culpepper are doing well, so they might both be back for the season. I'm just can't bet against Rodney because he has overcome the odds his entire career and is one of the toughest and most driven players in the NFL.

Great post! However. It's very hard (and in my opinion inaccurate) to compare offensive and defensive players injuries when they generally have different body types and abilties. and therfore i try to stay away from it as much as possible. Case in point if a QB injuries his rotator Cuff he's done, while a LB or a DL guy can generally play through the injury (Jason taylor, Zach Thomas, Champ Bailey).

I will agree that it is generally a bad bet whenever you bet against rodney, but this time the chips are stacked against him like never before. I actually want rodney on the field in top form. I know that injuries are a part of the game, but when you beat a team i want as many "Buts" as possible eliminated..

I did see the mcgahee injury and it was one of the nastiest injuries i've ever seen. The only comparison of rodney and daunte should be the way it was injuried. Both injuried their knee's to the side as opposed to forward like Willis.

I still remain pat on the fact however that ligament injuries generally do not restrict speed. Ussually the thing they most restrict is Change of direction. Thats why this injury is very serious for atheletes that do a lot of running and cutting. Safety very easily qualifies as a position where COD and Read/React is of utmost importance.

Thanks for the well-informed and worded post!

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I think Culpepper is tough, but injury prone. This is the SECOND time his season has ended on a knee injury. People seem to forget what happened a few years back when he went down. He also broke his back scrambling against the Lions.

Sure, Culpepper will play thru an injury if he can, but he has ended two seasons with his knee.

I'm not comparing him to Rodney because I don't see what the point is, and Welker didn't start that argument anyway. But I will say that I am more pessimistic than most about Rodney ever being 100% again. I think he'll play again but not be as good. He may still be as good as what we have, but that is a different matter.

If pep was a "scrambling QB, then i would worry, but his Throwing numbers are up there with top QB's in the league. Will a loss of mobility effect those numbers? Yes. I really hope that he will cut back on some of his runs and just stay within his system.

MoLewisrocks said:
Saw this on the Indy Star message board and thought it merited a mention, but not a new thread. The poster is a long timer named Driven.

"For what it's worth, a friend of mine went to the ESPY's last night and seen Harrison at an after party. My friend asked how the knee was doing, Harrison said that he thinks he will be ready for the season opener, but he thinks the Pats would more likely wait till after the bye."

The tough part is if he goes on the Physically unable to play list he won't be allowed to practice with the team till week 6 ala what Bruschi did last year. Then he'll have three weeks to decide whether to play. With rodney luckily it wont be learning the system, rather just being able to play his role. 6 weeks will be huge in rehabbing the knee so that it wont swell up after games. A common occurance is 1 week of good play followed by a down week to battle the swelling. I think if he starts week 1 it will be a problem with him maybe having to skip a game here and there because of the swelling. That BTW is also my main concern with daunte. I really think he'll start week 1, but i'm unsure of whether he'll be able to keep up his workload....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back