PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodger (Goodell) the Dodger loses again: Peterson case

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFLPA motion to vacate Adrian Peterson penalty granted. He's reinstated, property of the Vikings.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/570999409791635456

David Doty has ruled in favor of Adrian Peterson.

https://twitter.com/GoesslingESPN/status/570997922034098177

A federal judge has sided with Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson and the NFL Players Union in determining Thursday that the league’s arbitrator exceeded his authority by suspending the star running back.

Judge David Doty’s 16-page order sends the case back for further arbitration proceedings “consistent with” the players’ collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.startribune.com/local/north/294227741.html

At some point, the players are going to get tired of losing game checks on suspensions that are sure to be overturned.

He doesn't want to play for Minn. What happens with that?

I'm hopeful that, at some point, the owners will get tired of the embarrassment that is Rodger Goodell as NFL commissioner.

Megadittos :)

Too bad that there's no way that a Goodell decision regarding the ball machinations in the AFCCG or the Jets tampering with Revis can be appealed.

Bob Kraft helped enable this moron.

“There is no dispute that the Commissioner imposed Peterson’s discipline under the New Policy,” Judge Doty wrote. “It is also undisputed that in the [Ray] Rice arbitration, the hearing officer unequivocally recognized that the New Policy cannot be applied retroactively, notwithstanding the Commissioner’s broad discretion in meting out punishment under the CBA. . . . Consistent with that recognition, the Commissioner has acknowledged that he did not have the power to retroactively apply the New Policy: ‘The policy change was forward looking because the League is “required to provide proper notice.”‘ . . . Yet, just two weeks later, the Commissioner retroactively applied the New Policy to Peterson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-cant-apply-new-conduct-policy-retroactively/

That'll leave a mark*.

*Too soon?

No Teams & owners do not have CBA enabled arbitration

I haven't read the actual ruling yet, so I can't comment on the accuracy of the following, but here's Florio's take on what's left after Doty's ruling:

With Peterson, arbitrator Harold Henderson and/or the league office may not see it that way. Henderson and/or the NFL could try, for example, to argue that the ongoing suspension was justified by the pre-existing personal conduct policy.

But here’s the problem. Judge Doty already has determined that Henderson exceeded his authority by finding as a fallback proposition that the prior conduct policy justified the same punishment that the league imposed on Peterson. So that issue already is resolved.

Unless the NFL can pull a legal rabbit out of its hat (or other orifice), the case is over and there’s nothing left to be done other than to reinstate Adrian Peterson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...emand-should-lead-to-immeidate-reinstatement/

FWIW, Rapaport says the NFL will be appealing Doty's decision.

“[W]e believe strongly that Judge Doty’s order is incorrect and fundamentally at odds with well-established legal precedent governing the district court’s role in reviewing arbitration decisions,” the NFL said in statement released to PFT. “As a result, we have filed a notice of appeal to have the ruling reviewed by the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. In the interim, Adrian Peterson will be returned to the Commissioner Exempt List pending further proceedings by appeals officer Harold Henderson or a determination by the Eighth Circuit Court.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/26/nfl-appeals-ruling-in-adrian-peterson-case/

As an aside, watch for players to start refusing to go on the Commissioner's exempt list:

The league has responded to the argument that the Peterson decision should result in the immediate reinstatement of defensive end Greg Hardy by pointing out that he has not yet been suspended.

“He hasn’t been disciplined. There is nothing for him to seek reinstatement from at this point,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer.

The first part is accurate, if we suspend disbelief on the notion that missing games with pay isn’t discipline. The second part isn’t accurate. Hardy currently is on the Commissioner-Exempt list pending the outcome of his personal-conduct policy review. He has not yet been fully reinstated to active player status.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nstated-because-he-has-yet-to-be-disciplined/

Can switching to Geico save you 15% or more on car insurance? Does Roger Goodell make a terrible investigator?

At some point, the players are going to get tired of losing game checks on suspensions that are sure to be overturned.
and what will happen then?

He doesn't want to play for Minn. What happens with that?
After the appeal, MINN might trade Peterson to a team where the fan base accepts his behavior as acceptable, perhaps to Dallas.

After the appeal, MINN might trade Peterson to a team where the fan base accepts his behavior as acceptable, given his talent and impact, perhaps to any one of the other 31 teams.

Fixed that for you

Fixed that for you
I reject your fix. :)

The issue is indeed the fan base. Perhaps, you think that there are teams that would trade for the publicity nightmare in an area where the fans would be up in arms. For example, I don't think trading for Peterson would play well in NE or in SF.

Perhaps you think that owners should ignore publicity issues.

I reject your fix. :)

The issue is indeed the fan base. Perhaps, you think that there are teams that would trade for the publicity nightmare in an area where the fans would be up in arms. For example, I don't think trading for Peterson would play well in NE or in SF.

Perhaps you think that owners should ignore publicity issues.

Reject it all you want. It's reality.

Reject it all you want. It's reality.
Yes, FOR YOU it is reality that teams might commit financial suicide by ignoring potential publicity problems.

And I really don't understand why Ian allows posters to "fix" another's posts.

Yes, FOR YOU it is reality that teams might commit financial suicide by ignoring potential publicity problems.

And I really don't understand why Ian allows posters to "fix" another's posts.

It's not FOR ME. Teams approach top talent differently than they approach bottom of roster guys. That's just reality.

And a mod is complaining about "fixed your post"? This offseason is going to be extra long.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back