PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rocket?

Aldy

Rookie
Reaction score
What does everybody else think? Should the Sox be willing to shell out the $18-20m that it will take to get him here. I personally would love to see it and since we did in fact save money by losing Damon and trading Renteria, that may make up for some of the financial burden of that possible deal. I think it's a still a long shot, video or no video, but it sure would make this year a lot more interesting...

well

I would love for Roger to come back to finish his career! however i don't think we should pay the $18mil or so that will be needed to sign him! Interesting tidbit from Shill though:

"I think Roger was the first step, and a huge step for me. I was working out in the offseason in 1991 in the Astrodome and Roger was in the weight room working out. And I was kinda going through the motions of getting my time in, whatever I had to do and Gene Coleman the strength coach came over and said Roger wanted to talk to me. And I knew Roger, from being in the Red Sox organization before that, and being the pitcher that he was, and so I said great. So one thing I like to talk about is pitching. I thought that's what we were going to do. So I went over there and he proceeded to chew my ass off for about an hour and a half. And, I had lost my father three years before that, and I had not really had that guy in my life that said 'listen, you know what? you need to sit down and shut up and listen. This is how it's going to work. This is what you need to do and when he got done.' And instead of walking away like a lot of people and saying 'what does he know?' my first thought was here's a guy who's won a bunch of Cy Youngs. Just spent an hour and a half of his day, and actually gave a crap about me, and OK I need to start addressing some issues. And I didn't turn it around that day, there was a process, but I think it started that day, and that was the biggest step." -- 2.24.04, Curt Schilling

He wouldn't pitch as well in the AL as he did in the NL, but I'd still do it

Hell, its not my money and its only one year

my concern with roger is will he hold up thru the year at his age.i dont think i want him on the mound in sept or oct in a do or die game .as a number three i would take him .i want curt or beckett out there first

Last edited:
well

Roger has already said that he doesn't think his body is up for another full season. I honestly think he will come back sometime in may or juno and play for the astros--that way it's not a full season and he will be fresh in october!

If he plays this year, I'd bet it's for the Rangers. That said, I'd take him back. Sure, I think he's a scumbag, but he's a great player. With him aboard, no one's matching our pitching. With a one-year deal, you're not hurting the youth movement at all. The money doesn't matter to me, but the FO has worked hard this offseason to get under the salary cap. I'm sure Wells and/or Clement would be moved for prospects, or role players. Though the CBA expires after this year, and I'm pretty sure those compounding interest things won't carry over, so they probably wouldn't care about going over by a couple mil.

there is no salary cap in baseball i think you mean the luxury tax .

Johnny Mac said:
If he plays this year, I'd bet it's for the Rangers.

I'm surprised no one has come up with this yet, but I'd bet Roger re-signs with Houston for one year for a hometown "discount" of @$15 mil with a bonus kicker in the event of a trade

Then, if Houston isn't in the playoff hunt come the trading deadline, he and the team consider offers. Houston gets a prospect, Roger gets a $5 mil trade bonus, gets to compete for a Ring, yet spend most of the season near home.

Then, if he still wants to play next year, he's free to do the same thing all over again.

Seems like a win win for Clemens, Houston and any team in contention come July 31st as they won't need to gamble a full $20 mil on Roger's health.

Last edited:
I'd rather waste the money than any type of prospect.

I have little interest in a guy who doesn't want to be there every day. You can't treat all of the players the same financially, but you can expect them to suck it up for the team on their off days.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back