Welcome to PatsFans.com

Robert McNamara Dead

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jul 6, 2009.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Robert McNamara, ex-defense secretary, dies - CNN.com

McNamara was a member of Kennedy's inner circle during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962, when the United States and the Soviet Union stood on the brink of nuclear war.

But he became a public lightning rod for his management of the war in Vietnam, overseeing the U.S. military commitment there as it grew from fewer than 1,000 advisers to more than half a million troops.

Though the increasingly unpopular conflict was sometimes dubbed "McNamara's War," he later said both administrations were "terribly wrong" to have pursued military action beyond 1963.

On WWII and US conduct at the end of the Pacific War:

..."LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win? "...
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#15 Jersey
    For some reason I thought he was already dead. Must have been thinking of a high ranking officer who was in charge during that time.
    Glad he admitted his mistakes before he passed.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe because I was of draft age, but he is the first Sec of Defense I remember... he influenced a lot of us, both ways..
  4. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

One of a few politicians I've seen hated 40+ years after he was out of the job...