PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Robert Kraft in Kaiserslautern, Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmf31c

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://82.195.129.85/artman/publish/article_1228.shtml

Mr. Kraft was over here in Kaiserslautern for the US Game and received an award from General Tom Hobbins, the US Air Force Europe Commander.

If you don't know Kaiserslautern has the largest population of Americans living outside of the United States.

It was mighty nice of him to come over here and take time to meet with the military folks.

If this is considered off topic I apologize up front, I didn't know if it should go here or in the General forum.

Good info...great post!! No..Kraft is always a "Patriot" topic..

I lived outside of K-Town from 86-88. Went to K-Town Jr. High and High School. I can't even imagine how much its changed since I was there. Am hoping to go back to visit in the next 5 years.

DaBruinz said:
I lived outside of K-Town from 86-88. Went to K-Town Jr. High and High School. I can't even imagine how much its changed since I was there. Am hoping to go back to visit in the next 5 years.

They're still doing construction on the A-6 both directions.:D

I'm here until May of 2008 so if you come before then let me know.

bmf31c said:
They're still doing construction on the A-6 both directions.:D

I'm here until May of 2008 so if you come before then let me know.

I Lived in Wiesbaden from 90-92 (Battalion was in Pirmesans which I believe is fairly close to Kaiserslautern, Hanau for just 94 (drawdown cut my tour short), And Baumholder (actually Idar-Oberstein) from 96-99.

I love Germany and have family over there. Considered taking a job there as well.

Reading you bring it up makes me miss it bigtime!

sarge said:
I Lived in Wiesbaden from 90-92 (Battalion was in Pirmesans which I believe is fairly close to Kaiserslautern, Hanau for just 94 (drawdown cut my tour short), And Baumholder (actually Idar-Oberstein) from 96-99.

I love Germany and have family over there. Considered taking a job there as well.

Reading you bring it up makes me miss it bigtime!

Yes, Pirmasens is just up the road. Everything up there is closing or has closed down. Everything is closing down between here and Stuttgart. All the units in Mannheim and Heidelberg will be moved or de-activated. The same thing will happen for everything between Stuttgart and Grafenwoehr. The communities are condensing and when it's down it will only leave 4 areas. Mainz/Wiesbaden (USAREUR is moving there), Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart and Grafenwoehr, a far cry from what was once here.
If you can get a GS Civilian job with LQA it's a great deal, if you don't get LQA it will cost you a fortune for housing. The contract work is not really worth it because of the German tax, unless you can get a TESA position.

bmf31c said:
Yes, Pirmasens is just up the road. Everything up there is closing or has closed down. Everything is closing down between here and Stuttgart. All the units in Mannheim and Heidelberg will be moved or de-activated. The same thing will happen for everything between Stuttgart and Grafenwoehr. The communities are condensing and when it's down it will only leave 4 areas. Mainz/Wiesbaden (USAREUR is moving there), Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart and Grafenwoehr, a far cry from what was once here.
If you can get a GS Civilian job with LQA it's a great deal, if you don't get LQA it will cost you a fortune for housing. The contract work is not really worth it because of the German tax, unless you can get a TESA position.

Actually, the post I was stationed at when I lived in Weisbaden no longer exists period I think.

It was called Camp Peirrie (I'm sure I am spelling it wrong). It was right down the street from the Weisbaden Golf course (If that still exists).

Last time I went by there the wall around the Post was nocked down and all the buildings were being gutted. Looked like they were making an office building park.

I think most of Pirmesans was actually closed before 2000 (I think).

Great, I will be daydreaming about that most of the rest of the day.

Baumholder wasn't all that far from Kaiserslaughtern. I think you woold just take A-62(I think that is what it was) south to A-6 and it was pretty much right there, or close to it anyway.

I gave up on getting a job over there. Not many government jobs for embedded software engineers.

Plus, if you got one on the economy, i know there atleast use to be a law which said your job would have to be reposted every year if you were a non german to give the chance for a German to take it. Talking to family over there unemployment is through the roof anyway.

I'm happy were I am!

But I will certainly visit again!

Last edited:
sarge said:
I gave up on getting a job over there. Not many government jobs for embedded software engineers.

Plus, if you got one on the economy, i know there atleast use to be a law which said your job would have to be reposted every year if you were a non german to give the chance for a German to take it. Talking to family over there unemployment is through the roof anyway.

My job regularly takes me to Germany - usually Heidelberg and/or Graf. I love Germany. If you don't care about doing software engineering for a few years, they have GS science advisor positions in Europe that need to be filled on a regular basis (USAEUR, SETAF, NATO, etc). I put in for the V Corps one myself not too long ago, and would have taken it if I hadn't got a promotion in my current position. Of course, if I had taken it, I would be spending a bunch of time in Iraq right now - but in my case that happens to me sometimes anyways in my current job. If you are interested PM me and I can send you a link.

The REAL cushy jobs are at NATO HQ - lots of free time. Downside is that you have to live in Brussels. I have a few friends there now.

R

How to feel Old. I spent parts of 57, 58 and 59 in Weisbaden. Retired in 89 from Hoechst AG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back