PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Rang's Latest Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Done 3/14. I won't post it as it's from a premium site (nfldraftscout.com) but I'll post a few notes.

Our picks :

1) DeAngelo Williams
2) Maurice Stovall
3a) Bernard Pollard, S, Purdue
3b) DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia

Other players there from this mock :

Round 1 - Eric Winston, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, LenDale White, Lawrence Maroney, Chad Greenway, Richard Marshall.

Round 2 - Jonathan Scott, the TE group (Klopfenstein, Fasano, Pope), Darryl Tapp, Maurice Drew, KO Simpson.

Round 3- (first pick) Devin Hester, Mark Anderson, Jason Avant, Todd Watkins.

Round 3 - (second pick) No-one stuck out here to me.

Also he has Manny Lawson going 16th to Miami and says : "Teams are a bit all over the board on Lawson. Some think he is a top fifteen pick, others feel he'll slide into the early second round."

So Lawson could get to trade up distance for us if we so choose.

I assume I didn't post too much, consider it advertising for the site.

BelichickFan said:
Done 3/14. I won't post it as it's from a premium site (nfldraftscout.com) but I'll post a few notes.

Our picks :

1) DeAngelo Williams
2) Maurice Stovall

Round 1 - Eric Winston, Donte Whitner, Santonio Holmes, LenDale White, Lawrence Maroney, Chad Greenway, Richard Marshall.

Round 2 - Jonathan Scott, the TE group (Klopfenstein, Fasano, Pope), Darryl Tapp, Maurice Drew, KO Simpson.

Also he has Manny Lawson going 16th to Miami and says : "Teams are a bit all over the board on Lawson. Some think he is a top fifteen pick, others feel he'll slide into the early second round."

Yuck. No LBs at all for us? That would be very disappointing. It's definitely a bigger priority than S or CB IMO. If things fell the way the other picks did above, I'd prefer to pick Chad Greenway in round 1. Assuming the other picks stay the same, I'd then go with Maurice Drew or another RB in round 2, possibly a WR (since we wouldn't be picking Williams in round 1, I'd think that Addai might be available in round 2. I'd definitely take Chad Greenway and Joseph Addai from round 1 and 2 over Williams and Stovall).

Actually makes sense

1) DeAngelo Williams After his showing in the Senior Bowl, there is no doubt that this kid is a starting grade NFL #1 back. Given Corey's age, we need one as insurance.

2) Maurice Stovall If Charley gives his OK there is no denying that this is a potential fit at a big need position.

3a) Bernard Pollard, S, Purdue Survey says he can't take hard coaching. If that is not the case, he seems a natural to take over from Rodney soon.

3b) DeMario Minter, CB, Georgia Don't know much about this guy but I do know we need CB help and we like Georgia players.

Now if we could also draft day 2

4a Dobbins Schlegel Parham (ILB)
4b Wyche Havner BJohnson (OLB)
5 Schefler (TE) Manning (CB) Fifita (NT)
6 Cook (OC/OT) Sowells (OG) Kudla (DE/ILB)
7 Smith (WR/QB) Peprah (S) Marshall (WR)

I'll be very happy

BelichickFan said:

Our picks :

1) DeAngelo Williams
2) Maurice Stovall

Rang has us taking Bobby Carpenter not Deangelo Williams.

Williams lasts late into the first round and LenDale White goes last in round 1. I must admit that Rangs projections are the most accurate I have seen to date. Most of the players I like are not within our range unless we are willing to trade up in each round.

Mark Morse said:
Rang has us taking Bobby Carpenter not Deangelo Williams.
I posted this a week ago, he updated his mock yesterday.

He now has us Carpenter and the same other three picks.

Interesting new mock from GBN today, fyi... http://www.gbnreport.com/2006projection.html

Patriots picks:

1. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB NC State
2. Kelly Jennings, CB Miami
3a. Todd Watkins, WR BYU
3b. Daniel Bullocks, DB Nebraska

Can't complain overall, though Watkins wouldn't be my choice of the available receivers (Stovall, Hass, Hagan, Avant, Jennings, Orr, Marshall were all on the board). And I like Bullocks fine, but yet another raw young safety isn't my priority here...perhaps Montavious Stanley at DT.

patchick said:
Patriots picks:

1. Manny Lawson, DE/OLB NC State
2. Kelly Jennings, CB Miami
3a. Todd Watkins, WR BYU
3b. Daniel Bullocks, DB Nebraska

Can't complain overall, though Watkins wouldn't be my choice of the available receivers (Stovall, Hass, Hagan, Avant, Jennings, Orr, Marshall were all on the board). And I like Bullocks fine, but yet another raw young safety isn't my priority here...perhaps Montavious Stanley at DT.
I would take that draft any day of the week. I agree that I wouldn't make exactly the same choices but I would definitely take it.

I would probably take :

1) Lawson
2) Spencer
3a) Zemaitis or Bing
3b) Greg Jennings

in this draft.

The problem with a high round OL

BelichickFan said:
I would take that draft any day of the week. I agree that I wouldn't make exactly the same choices but I would definitely take it.

I would probably take :

1) Lawson
2) Spencer
3a) Zemaitis or Bing
3b) Greg Jennings

in this draft.

If we draft an OL this high then we have to keep him on the roster. He could be a game day inactive for a year but that seems like a waste of a roster spot (like Marquis Hill). Unless he is going to start, a Guard this high better have another role (C, T, LS, ST) otherwise we are wasting one of the 4 precious years we get in the new CBA for 2nd round choices.

Last edited:
patpatriot said:
If we draft an OL this high then we have to keep him on the roster. He could be a game day inactive for a year but that seems like a waste of a roster spot (like Marquis Hill). Unless he is going to start, a Guard this high better have another role
We are in the process of losing our starting RG and out RT options are mediocre unless they're high on Kaczur. We can definitely find playing time for an OL . . . in fact I think it's one of the few positions with a starting position open.

Maybe but not Spencer

BelichickFan said:
We are in the process of losing our starting RG and out RT options are mediocre unless they're high on Kaczur. We can definitely find playing time for an OL . . . in fact I think it's one of the few positions with a starting position open.

I can see your reasoning. One of the issues is managing our game day roster. BB I think would prefer to bring only 8 OL to the game so they have to be able to backfill other spots or you get steve neil at OLT like in the Pittsburg game. That could get your QB killed. In fact one of the reasons to let Neil go is that he can only play Guard. Besides being a decent LT, Kazur appears to be big enough to play RT putting Gorin into the backup swing tackle role where he belongs. Whether Kazur moves well enough to be a Guard (think screen passes) is the issue.

Spencer I think played RT in college but is projected at Guard in the pros. The real problem is that he is only 2 (1?) year removed from the Dline. He needs a lot of time to develop. Unless you think he can start at Neil's spot, we are probably stuck with Hochstein at RG is Neil flies the coop.

patpatriot said:
I can see your reasoning. One of the issues is managing our game day roster. BB I think would prefer to bring only 8 OL to the game so they have to be able to backfill other spots or you get steve neil at OLT like in the Pittsburg game. That could get your QB killed. In fact one of the reasons to let Neil go is that he can only play Guard. Besides being a decent LT, Kazur appears to be big enough to play RT putting Gorin into the backup swing tackle role where he belongs. Whether Kazur moves well enough to be a Guard (think screen passes) is the issue.

Spencer I think played RT in college but is projected at Guard in the pros. The real problem is that he is only 2 (1?) year removed from the Dline. He needs a lot of time to develop. Unless you think he can start at Neil's spot, we are probably stuck with Hochstein at RG is Neil flies the coop.
No doubt there are qustions about Kaczur (to me, maybe not the Patriots). Was he good enough to pencil in as a starter or only good enough to be a good swingman ? Longterm is he a G or a T ? I read differing viewpoints going into the draft last year.

I'm OK with Hoch as the RG but am much happier with him as the swing LG/C/RG. If that's the case we have openings at either RG or RT and perhaps both if Kaczur doesn't fill one spot.

patpatriot said:
I can see your reasoning. One of the issues is managing our game day roster. BB I think would prefer to bring only 8 OL to the game so they have to be able to backfill other spots or you get steve neil at OLT like in the Pittsburg game. That could get your QB killed. In fact one of the reasons to let Neil go is that he can only play Guard. Besides being a decent LT, Kazur appears to be big enough to play RT putting Gorin into the backup swing tackle role where he belongs.

This all sounds mighty sensible to me. So how about Rob Sims at 3b? Experienced, technically sound, good mobility, and one of the most versatile linemen in the draft. A potential starter at RG or RT, and a backup for almost any position on the line.

I like Sims

3 year starter on a major run-oriented team. That's more like it. If he can play center in a pinch, I'm sold. any chance we gould get him with 4a?

patchick said:
This all sounds mighty sensible to me. So how about Rob Sims at 3b? Experienced, technically sound, good mobility, and one of the most versatile linemen in the draft. A potential starter at RG or RT, and a backup for almost any position on the line.
I liked Rob Sims in the Shrine Game, but have read items since that indicate he may need Dante's foot in his butt on occasion. I agree that GBN's 3rd round is off target, your options make much better sense.

Patpatriot/BBf: Spencer was a LT at Pittsburgh, moved out from LG his junior year where he impressed everybody with his play. He demonstrated excellent mobility in the Senior Bowl - Norm Chow had him pulling multiple times - he also showed impressive athleticism at the Combine where he weighed in over 350, he is now down to 342 as of his Pro-Day. He may not have the experience you like, but he has the nasty streak I like and he is the most athletic of the G/T candidates barring LTs Colledge, Winston, and Whimper. He has the ability to play all four G/T slots, but I see him at RG with Kaczur or Light at RT; I just want him down to 325 to improve his endurance and mobility.

Sims or Boothe would both be good candidates for the 3-4 round, both were tackles in college who are projected to G. Boothe may come from the smaller school, but he is very technically sound despite playing against smaller competition, he looked good in the Shrine game and might be the better choice for his attitude.

I'm not keen at all on Gorin as a swing tackle, he just isn't quick enough for the left side. We currently have 4 LTs on roster, Light, Kaczur, Mankins, and Britt - Gorin would be fine as a G or RT if we take another LT. For example:

Darryn Colledge or Eric Winston could move into RT right away, pushing Gorin or Kaczur inside, preferably Gorin so Kaczur can be the swing tackle/FB/blocking TE. They could also be the swing tackles with Kaczur at RT.

Guy Whimper would have to be the swing tackle initially with Kaczur at RT and Gorin inside.

Charles Spencer, Kevin Boothe, or Rob Sims would move inside to RG with Kaczur at RT, Gorin would be a G/RT sub, with Kac or Mankins sliding to the left side if needed.

Good Stuff!

Excellent analysis Box. My only question is "can we wait for an OL to develop"? We didn't need to with Mankins but he has graded out as being one of the best rookies in all of last years draft based on his first year production. Can we expect the same experience from any of these other guys at RG? I think we would have to look at borderline first rounders like Jean-Gilles or Joseph if we hope to replace Neil through the draft. If the resign Neil, it's a different story. Then we can invest a 3/4 rounder in a kid with potential.

patpatriot said:
Excellent analysis Box. My only question is "can we wait for an OL to develop"? We didn't need to with Mankins but he has graded out as being one of the best rookies in all of last years draft based on his first year production. Can we expect the same experience from any of these other guys at RG? I think we would have to look at borderline first rounders like Jean-Gilles or Joseph if we hope to replace Neil through the draft. If the resign Neil, it's a different story. Then we can invest a 3/4 rounder in a kid with potential.
Fair question, I believe that Spencer would make the transition to RG with minimal trouble, he started out at LG before moving out to LT, so he already has G experience like Jospeh does.

Jean-Gilles has the roadgrader tool set for RG, and he demonstrated some surprising mobility in the Senior Bowl for a 350 pounder, but I would want him to lose weight and get down to 325 to improve his mobility and endurance, plus I don't think he has the same lateral quickness that Spencer does to play T in a pinch, even though he reportedly has played it at Georgia. Joseph is interesting in that he is 6'2" and has arms as long as 6'6" D'brickashaw Fergusen and he has played RG and LT. I would rate Spencer higher for his straight line speed and lateral quickness, but any one of these G's would be good at RG under Dante. Two of them need to address weight, and the lighter Joseph actually is the slower/less quick of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes