PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Rang Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish people would quit the Tebow thing.

Anyway - I'm OK with Kindle although I think we'd take Odrick in that scenario.

I lose out on Roger Saffold from my current pats' mock in his scenario. I would take

Demaryious Thomas - Upside is too great
Jermain Gresham - Too good of a value here
Alex Carrington - Attempt to get a RDE
Ricky Sapp - Or pick you favorite available pass rushing OLB

While trolling mock draft sites, I always comment on how stupid it is to think that the Pats are going to waste a draft pick on Tebow (especially anytime before the 6th round). Honestly what would they do with him? He isn't playing QB, he is too slow to play TE, maybe FB? So why in what everyone considers one of the deepest drafts in a long time, would the Pats, who have major holes at DE, OLB, WR waste a draft pick on a guy that they clearly can not use???????

With the same draft order, you could have:

22: Jared Odrick, Jahvid Best, Arrelious Benn, Jonathan Dwyer, Mike Iupati
44: Vladimir Ducasse, Jerry Hughes (plus all of the players at 47 and 53)
47: Alex Carrington, Tyson Alualu, Ricky Sapp (plus all of the players at 53)
53: Corey Wootton, Jason Worilds, Damian Williams

I'd rather have:

Javhid Best
Jerry Hughes
Alex Carrington
Damian Williams

While trolling mock draft sites, I always comment on how stupid it is to think that the Pats are going to waste a draft pick on Tebow (especially anytime before the 6th round). Honestly what would they do with him? He isn't playing QB, he is too slow to play TE, maybe FB? So why in what everyone considers one of the deepest drafts in a long time, would the Pats, who have major holes at DE, OLB, WR waste a draft pick on a guy that they clearly can not use???????

Exactly. A second-round pick, no less.

That draft board sets up perfectly for me. I'd go Odrick-Hughes-Gresham-Taylor Price

3 out of the 4 ain't bad. Memo to BB:
Say No to Tebow!
:rocker:..........:agree: I have the feeling that this guy is going to be a big time bust.

I don't understand all the adulation for him.

Last edited:
:rocker:..........:agree: I have the feeling that this guy is going to be a big time bust.

I don't understand all the adulation for him.
You don't understand all the adulation for arguably the greatest quarterback in the history of the Southeastern Conference?

Kid's a much, much better athlete than many around here are giving him credit for.

Tim Tebow is indeed a better athlete than many are giving him credit for. I'd like to see him go against Dallas Clark on various Combine-type tests.

He also happens to be arguably the greatest college player of all time, at least since Ohio State's Archie Griffen.

I can live much more comfortably with a fire-in-the-belly winner like Tebow, than Ron Brace, the second rounder last year, who likes to sit in front of the TV for hours watching cartoons and was outplayed by that kid from Kentucky we took much later in the draft.

But that's just me.

I think this is an excellent draft.

I really like Rob Rang's reasoning, as it's most definitely the case we've suffered from the absence of Willie McGinest.

I'd like to see him do a Junior Seau this year.

And watching Kindle run the 40, he looked like a man among boys. A lot of these college kids aren't strong enough to step right into the pros. But Kindle doesn't look like one of those.

And that Dexter McClutheon wide-out looks fast and versatile. If he can make Patrick Willis look foolish...

You don't understand all the adulation for arguably the greatest quarterback in the history of the Southeastern Conference?

Kid's a much, much better athlete than many around here are giving him credit for.

I guess that makes the second best one, is a guy named Jemarcus Russell!

Tebow was a great spread offense QB, he would get absolutly crushed by Pro D lines and LBs. The pats do not rund the spread (nobody does). How has Alex Smith done?

Just remember the dude played in the SEC. When he faced 'Bama, for instance, a handful of those guys on the defense are going to play on Sundays.

He's been hit hard by guys like Rolando McClain, whom we'd love to have playing for us.

And watching Kindle run the 40, he looked like a man among boys. A lot of these college kids aren't strong enough to step right into the pros. But Kindle doesn't look like one of those.
Yes, because 40 times are great indicators of future NFL success. Just ask Vernon Gholston!

I don't care what kind of athlete he is, he doesn't fit into our plans, long term or short term, at QB and if we want a TE I'd prefer to draft a TE.

If Brady had only two years left I might feel differently.

Last edited:
I don't care what kind of athlete he is, he doesn't fit into our plans, long term or short term, at QB and if we want a TE I'd prefer to draft a TE.

If Brady had only two years left I might feel differently.

Excellent post: Well said!

You might want to check the depth chart at QB. New England Patriots Unofficial Depth Chart

I like Brian Hoyer, but...
If (God forbid) Brady gets hurt again I'd prefer to have Hoyer at QB than Tebow. That's the problem, he's a project who isn't ready to play NFL QB now. But we don't need a Brady replacement for beyond Tebow's first NFL contract - when Brady gets a new contract, which he will.

I wish people would quit the Tebow thing.

Anyway - I'm OK with Kindle although I think we'd take Odrick in that scenario.

I lose out on Roger Saffold from my current pats' mock in his scenario. I would take

Demaryious Thomas - Upside is too great
Jermain Gresham - Too good of a value here
Alex Carrington - Attempt to get a RDE
Ricky Sapp - Or pick you favorite available pass rushing OLB

I would be OK with Kindle, too, if Bill is convinced that he can contribute in the base package, and not just in obvious passing situations. I don't expect him to be part of the short-yardage defense, but he must convince Bill that he's already more than just a situational rusher; otherwise, I doubt that Bill takes him at 22.

But I still question whether Odrick can make enough plays in the backfield to deserve 22, either. He just seems like a moderate, but not difference-making, upgrade over Mike Wright. He also comes from a program notorious for producing 1st-round busts on the DL.

I'm still in favor of attempting a 6-8 pick trade-down to secure a 3rd-rounder.

Rang's 2nd-rounders = Fail.
I don't want any TE to be taken at 44, if at all in the 2nd round. I want the best avail. WR instead.
Dexter McCluster is just too damn small for the 2nd round, which is too early for a Returner-only.
If Tebow's avail. in the 6th round, then I'm all over him. Otherwise...pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye