PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Parker of ESPN: Patriots overrated, Brady's season a fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: "Tom Brady's season a fluke": Rob Parker

Parker may be right, but his emphasis is wrong. BB has built a finesse team compared to the '01-'04 teams. Smallish skill players vs pounding types like Antowain Smith and Cory Dillon. The defense looks to confuse the QB instead of pounding the QB like back in the day. Its no wonder that the latest version wilts vs more physical teams like the Ravens and Jets.

The Jets just aren't a particularly physical team on defense. They're a very, very good team but they're winning with great talent as corner, super light sub packages, confusion, and blitzes from the secondary.

If Brady's season was a fluke, it's a fluke that's now happened twice. 50:8 isn't all that different from 36:4.

If Brady's season was a fluke, it's a fluke that's now happened twice. 50:8 isn't all that different from 36:4.

It may not seem like it is, but it really is quite different.

50:8 = 6.25:1
36:4 = 9:1

9:1 is nearly 50% better than 6.25:1. Big difference. To put it another way, if Brady were to keep up the 36:4 (9:1) ratio with 8 interceptions instead of 4, he'd have to throw *72* touchdowns.

Wouldn't you say that 72:8 is far greater than 50:8? I sure would.

Don't get me wrong: 50:8 is amazing. Incredible. Stupendous. But 36:4 is far better. It's an otherworldly, utterly incomprehensible statistic.

28 teams have not won the Super Bowl since spygate ended. Only the Giants, Steelers, Saints, and Packers have. Are those other 27 overrated?

Must be all those 27 teams stopped taping signals too. :rolleyes:

9:1 is nearly 50% better than 6.25:1. Big difference. To put it another way, if Brady were to keep up the 36:4 (9:1) ratio with 8 interceptions instead of 4, he'd have to throw *72* touchdowns.

Don't get me wrong: 50:8 is amazing. Incredible. Stupendous. But 36:4 is far better. It's an otherworldly, utterly incomprehensible statistic.

Yeah, statistically speaking, I'll agree there is a sizable difference. But on the other hand, in the practical sense, if Brady throws just one more pick this year, the ratio is then 7.2:1, which is much closer. And the reality is whether the ratio was 36:5 or 36:4, he was winning MVP in a landslide.

To me, I think what we've seen from Brady in 2007 & 2010 is now the norm - not a fluke. Think about the evolution of him as a player: once Belichick understood the direction the NFL was taking with the new DB rules, he unleashed Brady's full statistical potential. Honestly, is Brady THAT much better a QB than 2003-2005, for instance...certainly he's improved, but I don't think it's as drastic as the statistical difference. And think about the other factors: improved receiving corp over that joke of a group he worked with in 2006; a running game that is not a consistent force on its own since Dillon's prime, forcing the Patriots to be more reliant on the pass; field turf so that there are no more sloppy defensive-struggles in Foxboro.

But in terms of how potent the offense is, I think as long as he is fully healthy - and he wasn't in 2009 - this is in the realm of what we can expect.

Unfortunately, we have not had a well-rounded team during this era of the Patriots high-powered passing offense, so we have no rings to show for it.

The most painful of all thoughts is the realization that the blow by Pollard really took two years away from Brady's prime. Take it a step further, if not for the helmet catch, and if the Pats win SB 42, they aren't playing the Chiefs on that Sunday to open the season - they'd have opened on Thursday nite as league champions, the Pollard hit never happens, and we'd probably have not just a SB42 championship, but two more years of Brady's prime. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

This is like saying Babe Ruth's 60 HR season was a fluke. (He also had a 59-HR year.)

Sorry, those are the two best TD-INT ratios in the history of the NFL (over 30 TDs).

When you have the #1 and #2 top years in the history of a league's statistics, neither year is a "fluke".

If Brady had the #1 and next best historic rating for him was #48, then it would be a "fluke".

Baltimore Oriole Brady Anderson hitting 50 home runs in a season is a "fluke".

Last edited:

My take on this is that there are A LOT of fans out there that dislike or hate Brady. They eat this kind of story up, it reinforces they're beliefs. Many of us here do the same thing with Sayton Manning.

Yeah, statistically speaking, I'll agree there is a sizable difference. But on the other hand, in the practical sense, if Brady throws just one more pick this year, the ratio is then 7.2:1, which is much closer. And the reality is whether the ratio was 36:5 or 36:4, he was winning MVP in a landslide.

To me, I think what we've seen from Brady in 2007 & 2010 is now the norm - not a fluke. Think about the evolution of him as a player: once Belichick understood the direction the NFL was taking with the new DB rules, he unleashed Brady's full statistical potential. Honestly, is Brady THAT much better a QB than 2003-2005, for instance...certainly he's improved, but I don't think it's as drastic as the statistical difference. And think about the other factors: improved receiving corp over that joke of a group he worked with in 2006; a running game that is not a consistent force on its own since Dillon's prime, forcing the Patriots to be more reliant on the pass; field turf so that there are no more sloppy defensive-struggles in Foxboro.

But in terms of how potent the offense is, I think as long as he is fully healthy - and he wasn't in 2009 - this is in the realm of what we can expect.

Unfortunately, we have not had a well-rounded team during this era of the Patriots high-powered passing offense, so we have no rings to show for it.

The most painful of all thoughts is the realization that the blow by Pollard really took two years away from Brady's prime. Take it a step further, if not for the helmet catch, and if the Pats win SB 42, they aren't playing the Chiefs on that Sunday to open the season - they'd have opened on Thursday nite as league champions, the Pollard hit never happens, and we'd probably have not just a SB42 championship, but two more years of Brady's prime. Just food for thought.

I don't disagree with this post. I just think that it's not realistic to ask Brady to put up another historically great season in 2011. I expect him to be really, really good. But not as good.

I don't disagree with this post. I just think that it's not realistic to ask Brady to put up another historically great season in 2011. I expect him to be really, really good. But not as good.
Though let's hope that his playoff performance more closely approximates his forecasted really, really good regular season performance this time.

Fluke is backing into the play-offs (jets 2009) or feeding off weak teams to build a good record on a weak schedule, the Patriots were better against the best teams in football than any other team in football, there's nothing "flukey" about that. They beat all four teams in the Championship games, no other team can say that.

So the quarterback with the best career TD:INT ratio in NFL history just put together a fluke season by posting the best single season TD:INT ratio in NFL history.

So the quarterback with the best career TD:INT ratio in NFL history just put together a fluke season by posting the best single season TD:INT ratio in NFL history.

+1. It sure is nice to be reminded that logic can be an elegant concept... something that continues to elude the majority of mediots (Parker included).

He'll be lucky if he doesn't throw 50 INTs next year. Either that, or the author doesn't really understand what's generally meant by the word "fluke" in the sports world.

I'm going with option 2 on this one.

He'll be lucky if he doesn't throw 50 INTs next year. Either that, or the author doesn't really understand what's generally meant by the word "fluke" in the sports world.

I'm going with option 2 on this one.
I've seen the guy a handful of times and have noticed he has a strong command of misusing the words in the English language, so I'll go with 2 also.
One day this week, maybe the same day he said this, he repeated at least 5-6 times that the Patriots have lost 4 of their last 5 playoff games, as his central point of his argument.

I've seen the guy a handful of times and have noticed he has a strong command of misusing the words in the English language, so I'll go with 2 also.
One day this week, maybe the same day he said this, he repeated at least 5-6 times that the Patriots have lost 4 of their last 5 playoff games, as his central point of his argument.

OK, so which do you think it is: he forgot that the Pats let MFC down and didn't make the playoffs in 2008, or that he doesn't understand the playoff structure and how the Pats made the SB in 2007? :bricks:

For those of you unfamiliar with "you rage, you lose,"
it basically means that if you can't watch this whole video without getting mad, you lose.
I lost.
:bricks:
Post your results.

Patriots Overrated? - ESPN Video - ESPN

EDIT: Just noticed this HAS been posted before, so feel free to delete or merge if you want. Sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Patriots overrated - "You rage, you lose."

"Belichick hasn't won anything since...SPYGATE"

Ya know, Brady was unaminous MVP is he any good?-Skip "It was a fluke! It won't happen again"

HATERZ

its one guy who must have lost a bunch of money on that game or something........when skip bayless is trying to bring someone back to earth regarding the pats, you know that person has emotional issues

valid point though..........the last 2 years, the pats have collectively played and coached like chumps in the playoffs......can't argue with that......

time for the pats to prove otherwise

People need new material. This is getting old.:deadhorse:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back