PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Ninkovich appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
When Bill Belichick increased the playing time of Rob Ninkovich last season over Adalius Thomas some on this board were unhappy with the decision. When the season concluded, Pro Football Focus reported that besides TBC, Rob Ninkovich was the only other player on the entire Patriots defense with a "plus/green" rating against both the run and the pass. Two weeks ago SMY of the Boston Globe reported that, in her opinion, Rob Ninkovich was the opening day starter at OLB. This morning Mike Reiss brings us this article:

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

After recently watching film of Ninkovich, Reiss was impressed with what he saw.

Yet there remains a strong disconnect on this board with regards to Ninkovich's value to the Patriots. Many posters have speculated that Ninkovich is on the bubble for the 53 man roster. We may be underestimating Rob Ninkovich.

He's Pierre Woods except Ninko is capable of rushing the passer.

The PFW guys have been on Ninko since December. He's definitely in the mix to get increased playing time.

Seen zero to see he'll offer absolutely anything to the Pats as an organisation.

23 tackles and 1 sack in he's 4 year Career says he is not a starter. he is good dept noting more

He's got a long ways to go. He's Pierre Woods 2.0.

Yes I agree, Bill Belichick, ESPNBoston, The Globe , and Pro Football Focus are all wet on this one. We messageboard posters will prove them wrong once again !

Yes I agree, Bill Belichick, ESPNBoston, The Globe , and Pro Football Focus are all wet on this one. We messageboard posters will prove them wrong once again !
Shouldn't be that difficult given the personnel BB has put on the field defensively.

Shouldn't be that difficult given the personnel BB has put on the field defensively.

I, for one, am dying to hear a detailed analysis as to why Ninkovich is Pierre Woods 2.0. Those who have argued that he can contribute in a meaningful way at least presented some basis to their thought. Coming here, saying "he's Pierre Woods 2.0", and then proceeding to imply your opinion carries the same weight as Belichick's because of the personnel he has put on the field defensively is just dumb contrarianism.

Great thread, Crowell33. Ninkovich was born in New Lenox, Il which is where my shop is and he grew up in Joliet, IL which is where I live so he's been my binky since signing with the Pats.
It's cool to see him get some recognition and appreciation from some of the fans on this forum.

Great thread, Crowell33. Ninkovich was born in New Lenox, Il which is where my shop is and he grew up in Joliet, IL which is where I live so he's been my binky since signing with the Pats.
It's cool to see him get some recognition and appreciation from some of the fans on this forum.

Thanks 363839.

23 tackles and 1 sack in he's 4 year Career says he is not a starter. he is good dept noting more
Two of his four years in the NFL were spent on IR with severe knee injuries. Last year was his first full season in the league. So posting his stats over his "four year career" doesn't prove anything.

I'm not saying I'm OK with him as a day 1 starter but at least for his defense against the Woods comparison....
I've felt nothing but hope for Woods, yet everytime the man has stepped on the field my blind faith has been rewarded with failure. Woods sucks, STer, nothing more. I'm not saying Nikovich is that much better or anything. But from the limited snaps I saw of him last season he honestly was our most effective backer outside of TBC rushing the QB. The stats also don't show it, but he was in the QB's face a good amount of time for someone who played such limited snaps.

Hey Mike Vrabel was a scrub at best too a decade ago. While he was buried behind a much more talented LB core in Pittsburgh, he still needed work.When we picked him up, he was a career STer. I hardly think people expected him to be what he was. Nikovich certainly interests me.

I think much of the non-appreciation for Ninkovich is his pedigree. He wasn't a big name coming out of college or an early draft pick. Note that for many Pats fans, about the only players that get much approval on defense are Wilfork and Mayo.

Don't forget the Pats defense is not what it was a few years ago, so many fans are not all that excited about anybody on that unit. If Ninkovich puts together a solid season and the defense improves, people will appreciate his play. If opposing quarterbacks have all day to throw the ball with no pressure, nobody on the defense is going to get any love from Pats fans.

Two of his four years in the NFL were spent on IR with severe knee injuries. Last year was his first full season in the league. So posting his stats over his "four year career" doesn't prove anything.

so you see him as a starter ? he could not beat out any of the saints LB's to get any playing time at all.

first full season or not if he was any more then just good dept he would have played more then the 105 snaps he got last year in 15 games

OT: hey, I live north of Chicago, any bars to watch Patriots games?
In regards to Ninkovich, any LB in BB's system might take a few years to develop.
LMAO, for the posters who question BB's defensive personnel. Evidently, if you don't win the Superbowl more then three out of four you really suck.

so you see him as a starter ? he could not beat out any of the saints LB's to get any playing time at all.

first full season or not if he was any more then just good dept he would have played more then the 105 snaps he got last year in 15 games
You're right, in fact I don't know what the Pats were thinking when they signed that other guy with zero starts and 27 tackles in his first four years either.

In case you couldn't figure out who that was, Mike Vrabel says hi.

Not saying Ninkovich will be either the next Vrabel, or the next Pierre Woods, but how about we all wait a bit longer before rushing to judgement? I'm certainly not ready to anoint him as the team's defensive savior, but I'm not ready to run him out of town either. The team has other options as well so it's not as if Ninkovich is being handed the starting position, or even a roster spot.

You mean that Superbowl winning team which had great LB play for the first half of last season which IMO caused Sharper to have a career year.

First off Ninkovich was better than Woods, who did nothing on D last year. I didn't think Ninkovich was that great as a pass rusher (everyone on the team besides TBC wasn't very good), but I thought he played well against the run. I'm aware this is the opposite of what most people on this thread are saying.

He put on 7 or 8 pounds, I could see him being a 2 down OLB then coming out for Burgess or Cunningham in passing situations. In the first game I think he is the most likely starter at LOLB.

You're right, in fact I don't know what the Pats were thinking when they signed that other guy with zero starts and 27 tackles in his first four years either.

In case you couldn't figure out who that was, Mike Vrabel says hi.

Not saying Ninkovich will be either the next Vrabel, or the next Pierre Woods, but how about we all wait a bit longer before rushing to judgement? I'm certainly not ready to anoint him as the team's defensive savior, but I'm not ready to run him out of town either. The team has other options as well so it's not as if Ninkovich is being handed the starting position, or even a roster spot.

I agree sometimes a player has to find the right home to shine. I would say at least give the kid a chance wait until training camp is over to make a judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down