PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski out of surgery, infection has cleared

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinnyPatrollie

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Encouraging news. Best we could hope for. We need this guy at 100%.

Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 20, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Rob Gronkowski AP

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski had a new plate installed in his arm on Monday, and the surgery has been completed, PFT has learned.

Also, the arm infection Gronkowski has dealt with of late has cleared, PFT has learned.

PFT reported last week that the infection appeared to be going away. Now, it’s officially gone, good news for the 24-year-old star tight end in his quest to finally completely recover from this nagging arm injury.

Rob Gronkowski out of surgery, infection has cleared | ProFootballTalk

hang on

so he's not going on IR?

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
Source confirms docs believe Gronkowski's infection has cleared, and a new plate has been inserted, starting 2.5-month recovery period.

I wasn't worried last month when the reports were negative and I am not excited now. The only reports that will matter will be when how he looks when its time to play games.

I wasn't worried last month when the reports were negative and I am not excited now. The only reports that will matter will be when how he looks when its time to play games.
He's going to look like a 6'6" man-child plucking balls out of the air and spiking them.

Good for Gronk, glad he's not going to have to chop his arm off as was being reported last month.

One hurdle cleared!

Gonna be lot of very disappointed people on this board...

Excellent. Still plenty of time for the worriers.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1m

Arm surgery complete, Pats TE Rob Gronkowski is expected to consult with Dr. Robert Watkins in 3-4 weeks about possible back surgery.

I'm sure that many here think that this surgery will guarantee that Gronkowski starts Game One. After the consult is only 3-4 weeks away.

Excellent. Still plenty of time for the worriers.

Ok, good news. So now what about the back problem?

Gronk feel GOOD!
Gronk healthy!
Gronk go impact test new plate now!

This is excellent news to hear..

Now I just hope they can sort out Gronk's back problem in time for him to return come football season.

If Gronk is going to have this back surgery next month, I really wouldn't mind sticking him on PUP to start the season. That way he can go through his full recovery and have a few weeks to practice with the team and get conditioned again.

Obviously the media (and a lot of fanboys) will cry doom if Gronk isn't on the field Week 1, but I think it would be a wise move if that were the case. He's young and one of the most dominant forces in the league. Don't jeopardize his career over early season games. Bring him back week 8 or 9 fully healthy for the home stretch.

Healthy Gronk Week 8-Playoffs > Semi-Healthy Gronk Week 1

If Gronk is going to have this back surgery next month, I really wouldn't mind sticking him on PUP to start the season. That way he can go through his full recovery and have a few weeks to practice with the team and get conditioned again.

Obviously the media (and a lot of fanboys) will cry doom if Gronk isn't on the field Week 1, but I think it would be a wise move if that were the case. He's young and one of the most dominant forces in the league. Don't jeopardize his career over early season games. Bring him back week 8 or 9 fully healthy for the home stretch.

Healthy Gronk Week 8-Playoffs > Semi-Healthy Gronk Week 1

I really don't understand this theory. I mean, if he's unable to play, make the correct move, but he's just as capable of injuring himself in Week 8 as he is in Week 1. They would be foolish to "save" him for the second half of the season. Gronk being out for 8 games would likely have a pretty big effect on their playoff positioning.

My only question is, why wait 3 or 4 weeks to have the back checked? Why not do it now, since he probably can't do too much for the next 10 weeks anyway? I say get it all out of the way now.

I really don't understand this theory. I mean, if he's unable to play, make the correct move, but he's just as capable of injuring himself in Week 8 as he is in Week 1. They would be foolish to "save" him for the second half of the season. Gronk being out for 8 games would likely have a pretty big effect on their playoff positioning.

There is a difference between able to play and should play. Gronk was able to play against the Dolphins and Texans. Should he have played? Probably not given the result.

I'm sure someone will come in here screaming about how it was a freak accident, but it was easy to see a mile away plate is a pressure point on a bone that is still healing and the guy hits the ground hard on lots of his receptions. Not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes