PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski: Miracle Healer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh-Oh

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Rob Gronkowski (high ankle sprain) will be at less than 100 percent -- and perhaps significantly so -- against the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI.

"There are very (few) people -- nobody -- who fully expects him to be 100 percent," Schefter said on Monday's SportsCenter. "The Patriots are going to have to get used to having a limited Gronkowski" against the Giants. Gronkowski is fully expected to play, but it sounds like he could be susceptible to re-injury.

Think about the taks the Giants's coaching staff has.... They have to prepare for Gronk but at what speed and in what situiations? What will he be doing if he's on the field? They also have to prepare for the PATS without Gronk. Neither of these situations is on film. Thye have no idea what BB has prepared. In addition, they have to worry about everyone and everything else. This is all good.

Think about the taks the Giants's coaching staff has.... They have to prepare for Gronk but at what speed and in what situiations? What will he be doing if he's on the field? They also have to prepare for the PATS without Gronk. Neither of these situations is on film. Thye have no idea what BB has prepared. In addition, they have to worry about everyone and everything else. This is all good.

They'll prepare for Gronk 100%. If he can't go or is limited, it will be as though he got injured during the game.

true. lets start hoyer too...theyll have NO idea what to expect

Agreed. Brady's ankle was rolled, a regular sprain, but I think it was of the severe variety. Plus he only had one week to recover before the SB that year due to 9/11. Although Gronk has a high ankle sprain, as others have mentioned, it doesn't appear to be as severe as Bradford's/Ben's or Pouncey's. With all the adrenaline, pain killers, and great medical attention I expect him to be close to 100% at least in the first half.

Wasn't the 2007AFCCG a high ankle sprain for Brady?

I remember at the beginning of SB XLII, Troy Aikman noted how badly Brady was limping during the week. It was a big "oh, no" moment.

Wasn't the 2007AFCCG a high ankle sprain for Brady?

I remember at the beginning of SB XLII, Troy Aikman noted how badly Brady was limping during the week. It was a big "oh, no" moment.
You are correct. Now I remember the tabloid shot of him with the boot on going to Gisele's townhouse with flowers in his hand,

Brady's injury minor - Boston.com

It's a matter of severity and those comparing it to Pouncey or Roethlisberger are mistaken because Pouncey arrived at the Super Bowl on crutches and stayed that way, whereas Roethlisberger was limping badly between games down the stretch and I doubt he was ever walking as easily Gronkowski was coming off that plane.

This is exactly the point that I can't believe everyone is missing. I've asked several times for these experts to clarify what they are saying, because they appear to be so far off-base.

First, can someone please explain to me how his injury would be WORSE now than it was upon injuring it initially? The swelling has certainly subsided right now, so how is it that his ligaments are in worse shape than they were a week ago, when he was running past defenders on that terrible Brady INT? Please explain how this is possible, seriously.

Further on this point is what you said about Roethlisberger and Pouncey. Pouncey needed to be taken off the field on a car. Why? Because obviously his ligament tear was so bad that he couldn't walk. So, it's not surprising that he was on crutches two weeks later and couldn't play in the Super Bowl. As for Roethlisberger? He immediately began limping around all gimpy, obviously favoring one leg. For the rest of the game, he hopped all over the place because his ankle was obviously bothering him severely.

Gronk? We've now seen him twice since his injury. First, he was inserted back into the game, jumping up and down and celebrating, running what seemed like 80%+ speed, and then celebrating at the ceremony. We then saw him a week later walking in a boot (which the media called a large walking boot, really!) He did not gimpy, limpy, or in pain.

So, we are tortured over the next week on whether we should believe our initial reaction, our eyes, and that we've seen a guy who is obviously going to play and be effective, or if we should instead believe a bunch of media members who, exactly like us, have no other information other than previous injuries, wikipedia entries about high ankle sprains, and some quack doctor in New York. By the way, in the article by Clark Judge, where he puts plenty of gloom and doom into Gronk's prospects, he mentions Pouncey about 10 times without mentioning the clear difference in severity, and the fact Pouncey was on crutches.

BTW- so far the only real source for the fact that Gronk even HAS the dreaded "high" ankle sprain comes not from the Pats, not from his doctor, but FROM his freakin' father, who hasn't seen his son since the day the injury happened.

The only fact is that NO ONE but those inside the Pats brain trust and Rob himself know what his condition will be for the game itself. EVERYTHING else is pure speculation, both pro and con.

But here is one thing I can safely say is a sure bet. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, when the injury reports comes out, here is what its going to say about Rob Gronkowski.- Questionable - Limited in practice. ;)

First, can someone please explain to me how his injury would be WORSE now than it was upon injuring it initially? The swelling has certainly subsided right now, so how is it that his ligaments are in worse shape than they were a week ago, when he was running past defenders on that terrible Brady INT? Please explain how this is possible, seriously.

The ankle could feel worse two days after the game because a) after the game he still had adrenaline and most likely took a pain killer and b) if you keep your ankle wrapped tightly, it won't blow up right away. but after the game, and a day or so passes, the ankle gets all swollen and feels progressively worse for a couple of days.

Also, there were pictures of him out partying on Sunday night. If that was accurate that was pretty stupid of him.

Gronk will play and be fine, wouldnt be surprised if he has a 10 catch 150+ yard game with 3 tds.

The ankle could feel worse two days after the game because a) after the game he still had adrenaline and most likely took a pain killer and b) if you keep your ankle wrapped tightly, it won't blow up right away. but after the game, and a day or so passes, the ankle gets all swollen and feels progressively worse for a couple of days.

Also, there were pictures of him out partying on Sunday night. If that was accurate that was pretty stupid of him.

Yes, exactly. It could get worse for the first few days, but my question is, how could it be worse now?

Not that a banged up Gronk is not concerning but if I had a choice I would much prefer a hobbled Gronkowski than a hobbled Brady like in 2007 ...you can throw to other receivers if one is slowed down but if your starting QB is limited and can't move much in the pocket, you have problems.

I sure hope he's playing close to normal, but even if he isn't, they'll still have to cover him like he is, which leaves Hernandez, Welker and Branch or Ocho running free somewhere.

I'm guessing that Gronk lines up primarily as an inside wide receiver. I think the biggest problem with this injury is the ability to plant and block, especially if he gets a short. As a WR he is still effective even at less than 100% because of his height, range, amazing hands, and crisp route running. Of course, I think Gronk will be called on to block in some situations, but I think for the most part he will be better as a pass catcher than a blocker on Sunday.

I sure hope he's playing close to normal, but even if he isn't, they'll still have to cover him like he is, which leaves Hernandez, Welker and Branch or Ocho running free somewhere.

My real fear is that these cheap shot artists on the Gints are going to go low at that ankle every chance they get and take him out of the game.....Unfortuneatly, they get a few helmets or hard hits on that ankle and he is done.....I can't believe Pollard twisted Gronks ankle like that and got away with it.....I hope that fKer gets his someday....

My real fear is that these cheap shot artists on the Gints are going to go low at that ankle every chance they get and take him out of the game.....Unfortuneatly, they get a few helmets or hard hits on that ankle and he is done.....I can't believe Pollard twisted Gronks ankle like that and got away with it.....I hope that fKer gets his someday....
John David "Jack" Tatum (November 18, 1948 – July 27, 2010). I don't believe in divine retribution but Jack Tatum was dead at 51.

John David "Jack" Tatum (November 18, 1948 – July 27, 2010). I don't believe in divine retribution but Jack Tatum was dead at 51.

Do you believe in divine math?

1948-2010 = 61 Years old professor,not 51 :rolleyes:

Tatum lost five toes to diabetes later in life...then his left leg to an arterial blockage...finally died of a heart attack...he established some sort of diabetes research fund before he died...he always maintained the hit on Stingley was a legal hit and he felt no guilt about it...still, that dogged him the rest of his days.

If Terrell Owens can play (and perform) on a fractured fibula and sprained ankle I'm fairly certain Gronkowski will be a dominant force for the Patriots come Sunday.

As stated elsewhere, the only potential issue involved here at seriously hindering his play in the Super Bowl is the extent of ligament damage as a result of the high ankle sprain. Swelling might slow him, but not enough after 2 weeks to keep him from performing at an extremely high level. If he had indeed had ligament damage, there was no way - no matter how tough he is - that he would have gone back into the game against the Ravens, let alone run patterns as he was late in the game (such as on the Brady INT).

I disagree. He has as much right to celebrate an AFC title as anyone, and he understands his own ankle better than anyone. Unless having a good time automatically equates to aggravating injury, I don't see anything wrong with it. Good for him and the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes