PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rob Gronkowski injury: torn ACL, MCL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Rob Gronkowski tore his ACL

Huh? A torn ACL is a torn ACL. Recent case history shows that a player who tears his ACL in December will be back and ready to play by the preseason.

Peterson's injury looked just as bad as Gronk's. And I didn't see him in The Avengers. So I am assuming he is only human too. And he got over 1700 yards last year after blowing his ACL two years ago in 10 days.

Technically, all the Avengers but Thor are human, too. ;)

If it's only acl he should be back to start the year. Doom and gloomers are living in the 90s with their recovery projections.

No! An ACL tear is an ACL. The treatment for any ACL tear is the same and it is a complete replacement. The only difference is how much swelling there is because they cannot do the surgery until the swelling is subsided. So if Gronk has a worse ACL tear, it may mean he has to wait an extra week or two to get the surgery.
Stop showing you don't know what you are talking about. There are 3 degrees of ACL tears.

ACL Injuries | Atlanta, GA | Emory Healthcare

Sorry, but that's not true. There are varying degrees of tears.

Hey I hope I'm wrong. But I predict next year begins for Gronk the way this year did. General uncertainty with week-to-week status.

Almost 95% ACL tears are about 7-9 month recovery. This isn't 20 years ago were it was 18months.

Just look at ACL tears in sports over the last 5 years almost all are back in that time frame.

That is just excuses for dirty play. The NFL only made headshots illegal. There is still all the area between the shoulders and the knees where one can tackle. Shoulder charging right into the knee? Shameful, shameful stuff. No rules can excuse that kind of ****.

I agree it's a shameful hit. What I was saying was what makes it even more disgusting is that in today's NFL, that's a legal hit.

Feel really bad for Gronk but starting with this offseason the Patriots need to start to move away from him as a key player in the offense. Sorry but Gronk isn't going to get healthier as he gets older and this team cannot continually be in a position of having the reshape their O after Gronk's annual injury. They need to look at Gronk as simply an O lineman on the depth chart and retool the TE position.

Everyone keeps talking about Adrian Peterson as the example, but I sure hope his tear isn't as bad as Peterson's. Peterson's recovery was so miraculous that to this day, very few people think it was a legit recovery ("legit" meaning "without using illegal performance enhancers").

Who would have thought last January he wasn't going to be ready for September of this year? I'm not questioning his toughness but things happen.

I agree it's a shameful hit. What I was saying was what makes it even more disgusting is that in today's NFL, that's a legal hit.

Definitely.

Stop showing you don't know what you are talking about. There are 3 degrees of ACL tears.

ACL Injuries | Atlanta, GA | Emory Healthcare

Yes, there are different degrees of ACL tear., but the treatment is the same for all of them. So an ACL tear is an ACL tear. It wasn't a mild sprain. Since in every case except for a mild strain is to replace the ACL, there really is no difference in a ACL tear in recovery time. A partial tear is no better than a complete tear for an athlete.

If he was a non-athlete, then it would be different. Plenty of non-athletes do not have surgery for partial ACL tears. Athletes alway need a complete reconstruction.

And Peterson had as bad as an ACL tear as possible especially since it was compounded by an MCL tear to go with it.

Next man up, not in the mood for the doom and gloom.

I do feel bad for Gronk though, a HOF talent but can't catch a break. Severe ankle sprain right before the biggest game of his life. Broken arm, waits what 2 months for it to heal and breaks again. Now this. OT but Derrick Rose is going through the same thing right now, absolutely hate it when this happens.

EDIT: I'm not going to blame the Browns defender either, wasn't the cleanest hit but defenders have been saying for some time now they have no choice but to go for the knees.

Yes, there are different degrees of ACL tear.,
Thank you for finally admitting you were wrong.

Anyways, I'm done arguing about the 2014 season. We all agree he's done for this year and that's what I'm focused on. As for the rest, I'll see you guys in here come September.

When I saw it, I knew his season was over no doubt and my thought was it will probably carry over into next season and that he may never be the same again.

Right now, I'd consider it a small miracle if we see him next year.

ACLs aren't usually career enders, specially for guys that make their money running in a straight line. Would be much more problematic for a guy like the Prisoner, for example.

Technically, all the Avengers but Thor are human, too. ;)

If it's only acl he should be back to start the year. Doom and gloomers are living in the 90s with their recovery projections.

You got me on the Avengers thing. Although Banner and Steve Rogers are superhuman. Although I think Gronk may have gotten some of the same gamma radiation Banner got.

PATRlOT said:
I can't even enjoy the win because of this.

Someone head over to Gillette Stadium pop that guy's head off (whoever hit Gronk low)

The NFL should also be disgusted with themselves. Teams are losing important players, many of them Pro-Bowl worthy, thanks to their pathetic attempt at changing the way the game is played.

Ask ANY player in the league, they would rather have a head/upper body injury than a blown out knee

You can blame the NFL all you want, but they wouldn't be coming down on head hits quite as hard if it wasn't for players suing them.

players can say NOW they don't want to be hit low and would rather be hit high, but when the amount of ex-players that sue the NFL is that high, you should take what they say with a grain of salt...because they invited these issues onto the current players.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Feel really bad for Gronk but starting with this offseason the Patriots need to start to move away from him as a key player in the offense. Sorry but Gronk isn't going to get healthier as he gets older and this team cannot continually be in a position of having the reshape their O after Gronk's annual injury. They need to look at Gronk as simply an O lineman on the depth chart and retool the TE position.

Gronkowski is an exceptional player that just got taken out by a career-threatening cheapshot and you are making it sound like he is a liability?? Unbelievable.

Thank you for finally admitting you were wrong.

Anyways, I'm done arguing about the 2014 season. We all agree he's done for this year and that's what I'm focused on. As for the rest, I'll see you guys in here come September.

Yes I never denied that ACLs could be torn to varying degrees, but you miss my point from the start that there is no difference between degrees of ACL tears when it comes to treatment.

See you next September. Spend your time reading up on ACL tears so you don't sounds as foolish as you do right now in nine months.

This might not be the right thread to write this, but, after the hit on Gronk today, I thought it might be OK.

Here is a theory… Do you know who is responsible for the current state of the game???

You are.

And by “you,” I mean modern American society. I mean all the die-hard fantasy football owners. I mean all the Madden players. I mean all the money that changes hands (both legally and illegally) in Vegas and other locales.

Modern American society loves… LOVES and thrives on over-dramatizing and over-sensationalizing things. Football is no exception. The pyrotechnics and smoke at the beginning of games. The blaring music and light shows. The Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood intros to night games. The Super Bowl halftime shows and commercials. The over-inflated salaries.

Americans LOVE the glitz and glamor. They love watching millionaires running around the football field. And they love HIGH SCORING football games!!!!

Fantasy football owner love HIGH SCORING football games.

Madden players love HIGH SCORING football games.

And Las Vegas is Las Vegas. Money… LOTS of money, as it does to most things, has corrupted and ruined the game.

And how do you get high scoring football games? You change the rules to favor the modern passing game. You basically can’t hit the QB. You can’t lay a finger on a receiver before they catch a ball. And you can’t hit a receiver high. And if a defender tries to hit a receiver in his mid-section, and the receiver ducks, and the defender inadvertently goes helmet-to-helmet with the receiver… And now, with Gronk’s injury and the other injuries that are happening to receivers as a result of defenders “going low,” I expect more rules (i.e., limitations) being instituted that will further limit defenses to play football.

Long gone are the days of rock ‘em, sock ‘em, run the ball 60% of the time, defensive struggles (although they do sometimes still happen). Long gone are the days where the final scores are 14-10, 10-7, 7-6, 17-13. What fun is it for modern America to watch games like that? Do fantasy owners like to see outcomes like that? Would Madden be as popular as it is if games were still like that? Would Super Bowls be as glamorous with games like that?

Although I don’t like Goodell, he is just responding to what you and the American public wants.

Gone are the days of Ronnie Lott, Jack Lambert, Jack Tatum, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White. As a matter of fact, with the current rules, all of those players would be drummed out of the league after paying some hefty fines.

While I don’t like the current state of the game, I still watch it. I still root for the Pats. But… I miss my “old” game.

I'm sending good thoughts to Gronk for a speedy recovery.

Gronkowski is an exceptional player that just got taken out by a career-threatening cheapshot and you are making it sound like he is a liability?? Unbelievable.

These injuries aren't career threatening anymore.

He's an exceptional talent who can't stay on the field and that fact has already cost the Patriots 1 Super Bowl championship and possibly a shot at one this season.
Gronk wasn't taken out by a career-threatening cheap shot. He was taken out by a legit hit. Dude is 6' 7" and if you're a DB you're taking him down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back