PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Road Grader wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I think one impact OLineman could make a big difference on this team.

Brady needs more time now that he is throwing longer passes and a consistent running game and better pass blocking reinforce each other.

What if this guy was available with our top 3rd round pick. Since he projects as a guard, I think that's possible.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showpl... Jean-Gilles

Of course, a top left tackle is the best, but undoubtedly expensive.

Calling all draftnicks. Assume one dominant OLineman is desired.

Who and with which pick?

RayClay said:

Brady needs more time now that he is throwing longer passes and a consistent running game and better pass blocking reinforce each other.

What if this guy was available with our top 3rd round pick. Since he projects as a guard, I think that's possible.

Who and with which pick?

I thought you were posting a job Vanderjagt could apply for. ;)

Come on. There'll be 37 threads about WR's. How about a player that might improve the team more?

I agree with that. I only have a cursory knowledge of the draft class, but there seem to be 5-6 1st round caliber OL.

With all the extra picks we have, if we traded up to mid teens, we'd be getting a very good OL and it wouldnt cost a ton.

I think LT would be a bad move. We have at least 2 good ones already. Light IMO is one of the best. He may not look the part like and Ogden or Pace, but he is a good pass blocker, and a VERY good run blocker as LTs go.

We would go into next year with:

Light at LT
Koppen at C

Mankins and Kaczur can play any of the other 3 spots.
Neal may or may not be back.

If we add a stud 1st round G or RT, this group fits together.
If he isnt ready at the start of the year, we have many capable guys to step in.

Not only would I be in favor of this, I'd be in favor of upgrading either Kaczur or Koppen the following year, and creating a best in the NFL-potential OL.

RayClay said:
Come on. There'll be 37 threads about WR's. How about a player that might improve the team more?

Wide right, wide receiver? Took a minute.

RayClay said:

Who and with which pick?
Your typical Olineman takes a few years to adjust to the level NFL level. I would rather see a savy veteran signed who has it down.

I'm fine with this at O-Line;

LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

Backups;
Ashworth
Hochstein
Gorin

Use no higher than a 4th on an O-lineman

I agree with Jean-Giles..
However, he's going in the first round, not the third, and i hope we use our #1 on him.

WR's take 3 years to develop. We need guys who will play now. Maybe use a #2 on a WR for depth... We need to either resign givens, or get a FA for our #2.

I expect Brown and Davis to return as competent #3 and #4 WR's

Digger44 said:
Your typical Olineman takes a few years to adjust to the level NFL level. I would rather see a savy veteran signed who has it down.

If that's true, then I would take a look at Toniu Fonoti. I believe he's an UFA this season. He's still extrememly young and has already been in the league 3 years. He is the defination of road grader.

Interior OL in the Pats scheme have to be excellent technicians and MUST be fairly quick and mobile. A huge slow out of shape behemoth is not going to cut it for BB. (He may not pass the running test in TC.)

If you are looking for a BB type OL in the fourth round or later, look at the Lentz of Michigan types. These are the type guys that Dante can coach up fairly quickly and while they may never be All-Pros, they are extremely serviceable.

Look at the COLTS

To really get Payton Manning pissed why not go after some of INDYs OL.
They must be pissed after his finger pointing.

Especially when Brady brings his OL with him on TV commercials..

Turd Furguson said:
I'm fine with this at O-Line;

LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Kaczur

Backups;
Ashworth
Hochstein
Gorin

Use no higher than a 4th on an O-lineman

Ashworth and Neal are UFAs; Koppen and Light had serious injuries; we aren't sure of how good they'll be on return. These 4 ?s as well as staff assessment of Mankins and Kaczur will shape the Pats plans in FA and draft.

There all along...

RayClay said:

Who and with which pick?

They tell the story of the King who couldn't find the pin; but it was always hidden right there in front of him in his clothes all along. Practice Squad ORT Jeremy Britt was a mauling All-SEC drive blocker from the Crimson Tide, who broke his leg before the combine and wasn't really healthy in his rookie TC and was cut as a fifth round choice that he had fallen to. The Pats could afford to wait and send him to the Dante Scarneccia Post Graduate School for Offensive Linemen.

He made it to multiple ALL-SEC status on the basis of his overpowering run blocking, @ 6-8 and 335, he may be starring you in the face...

AzPatsFan said:
They tell the story of the King who couldn't find the pin; but it was always hidden right there in front of him in his clothes all along. Practice Squad ORT Jeremy Britt was a mauling All-SEC drive blocker from the Crimson Tide, who broke his leg before the combine and wasn't really healthy in his rookie TC and was cut as a fifth round choice that he had fallen to. The Pats could afford to wait and send him to the Dante Scarneccia Post Graduate School for Offensive Linemen.

He made it to multiple ALL-SEC status on the basis of his overpowering run blocking, @ 6-8 and 335, he may be starring you in the face...

Great point. I liked Wesley Britt coming out of school -- supposedly a very smart player with good football awareness and a tremendous frame. With Light, Kaczur, Mankins, Britt and Gorin as potential tackles for 2006, I can't see OT as a glaring need. Same for Koppen at center. I agree that another good interior lineman is in order, possibly even a first-day pick. But in my opinion no way at #21.

Last year was a weak draft with OT one of the few bright spots. So the Pats splurged on two of them on the first day, with good results. This year is so much deeper -- and they're picking so much higher -- that spending a #1 on a guard strikes me as a spectacular waste. It's the opportunity cost. The players available at #21 this year could ending up looking like the ones taken 10 spots higher last year...i.e., Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman. Bodies like those simply can't be found in later rounds, and even very good interior linemen can.

patchick said:
Great point. I liked Wesley Britt coming out of school -- supposedly a very smart player with good football awareness and a tremendous frame. With Light, Kaczur, Mankins, Britt and Gorin as potential tackles for 2006, I can't see OT as a glaring need. Same for Koppen at center. I agree that another good interior lineman is in order, possibly even a first-day pick. But in my opinion no way at #21.

Last year was a weak draft with OT one of the few bright spots. So the Pats splurged on two of them on the first day, with good results. This year is so much deeper -- and they're picking so much higher -- that spending a #1 on a guard strikes me as a spectacular waste. It's the opportunity cost. The players available at #21 this year could ending up looking like the ones taken 10 spots higher last year...i.e., Demarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman. Bodies like those simply can't be found in later rounds, and even very good interior linemen can.

Excellent post. I have nothing to add to that.

PatsWorldChamps said:
I agree with Jean-Giles..
However, he's going in the first round, not the third, and i hope we use our #1 on him.
No he isn't at all. OGs in general don't go first round usually, and this year's OG class is pretty weak. He's pretty unathletic, and not the unanimous top guard. BTW, here's the right link to that profile: http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Max Jean-Gilles.

Last edited:
AndyJohnson said:
I agree with that. I only have a cursory knowledge of the draft class, but there seem to be 5-6 1st round caliber OL.

With all the extra picks we have, if we traded up to mid teens, we'd be getting a very good OL and it wouldnt cost a ton.

I think LT would be a bad move. We have at least 2 good ones already. Light IMO is one of the best. He may not look the part like and Ogden or Pace, but he is a good pass blocker, and a VERY good run blocker as LTs go.

We would go into next year with:

Light at LT
Koppen at C

Mankins and Kaczur can play any of the other 3 spots.
Neal may or may not be back.

If we add a stud 1st round G or RT, this group fits together.
If he isnt ready at the start of the year, we have many capable guys to step in.

Not only would I be in favor of this, I'd be in favor of upgrading either Kaczur or Koppen the following year, and creating a best in the NFL-potential OL.

I'm on to you. You just be missin' Hannah! :D

AzPatsFan said:

I've been hearing about him. Also realize bigger might not be better. I just looked up a name (Jean-Giles) for argument sake.

Great Blue North says great year for Tackles, poor depth at Guard.

I'm no OL expert. But I think pass protection and a power running game will pay great dividends. Not sure how we get there.

patchick said:

Wesley Britt looks like a great prospect. I'm no draftnick so I'm trying to stimulate those who know more than me.

We should have confidence we can make a yard or two anytime, wear out other teams and protect Brady.

We've got 6 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. Who knows who will be available?

huskeralk said:
If that's true, then I would take a look at Toniu Fonoti. I believe he's an UFA this season. He's still extrememly young and has already been in the league 3 years. He is the defination of road grader.

Good call. He seems to fit the bill. "Pancakes". I didn't even know that was a stat. :rocker: :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes