PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivers outplayed Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year Brady has one "stinker" game whether it was because of receivers not catching the ball or running wrong routes, it's on Brady. This was that game and thankfully the D stepped up today HUGE in the red zone.

Now, we all know what happens after his "stinker" game don't we?

pick #1) If you watch the first INT again, Stallworth slowed up for no reason, and allowed the DB the space to make the play. It wasn't Brady's best decision, I'll give you that, but there was really no reason for that to be a pick. Again, if that's 81 lined up on that play, it's probably a 15 yard catch for Moss.
pick#2) It was a bad decision, but Stallworth still probably should've caught it, and even if it doesn't, if it gives it more of an effort, it probably doesn't turn into a pick.

The third pick was another bad decision, but I don't think Brady saw Cromartie, he was hiding behind the O and D linemen.

Stallworth was never really open on the first play. Whether it should have been a pick or not, it was still a lousy decision.

And it isn't as if Brady was on with the exception of the picks. He was off all night, even on completions.

Stallworth was never really open on the first play. Whether it should have been a pick or not, it was still a lousy decision.

And it isn't as if Brady was on with the exception of the picks. He was off all night, even on completions.

yeah,....and he's not gonna make an excuse if he was sick.....

Rivers played a gutsy game. Props to him.

Brady threw three picks, including one in the red zone. Those are facts. His take is that the second was a deflection but that the first and the third were great defense. So, no excuses from him, since, if the second pass had been where it should have been, there would have been no deflection. In addition, drives were kept alive by at least two great catches of TB passes that weren't on the money.

Bottom line: it wasn't Brady's greatest game and a game MVP vote would have been split between Faulk and Maroney or maybe gone to Junior Seau representing the Defense.

I don't know which QB outplayed the other, but the Pats offense made enough plays to win when they had to do so. None of that takes anything away from Rivers' classy performance.

Last edited:
I must've watched a different game than everybody who thought Brady had a bad game yesterday.

2/3 of his picks were Stallworth's fault. Stallworth made a horrible play on the first pick, obviously didn't read the D the same way Brady did, mistimed his jump, etc. Frankly, I'm a huge Stallworth fan, but he's been a terrible jump ball receiver, and if Brady deserves any onus for the pick, it's that he made a bad decision to throw that ball to Stallworth. He can throw that type of pass to Moss, but not Donte.

Second pick, Stallworth made at best a half-assed attempt to catch the ball.

Take those two out, and the day doesn't look so bad for Tom. Brutal weather, good defense. Sometimes I think fans forget there is another team out there on the field.

Pick #1 - All on Brady - Crappy throw
Pick #2 - Tipped ball - **** happens
Pick #3 - Great play by SD

Last edited:
I vehemently disagree with this. Brady was bad - and not just "Brady bad" either. He played like a genuinely average QB having a below average day. On the first int, it was a bad decision and a bad throw. Stallworth wasn't really in position to break it up. On the second one, Stallworth didn't make a great attempt to catch it, but it was off as it led him too much (due to pressure from the right side) and the last one was either a terrible decision or a terrible throw.

Even check out the playcalling down the stretch. I personally think that Brady might have been sick as it seemed that NE was protecting him as if he were a more inexperiened player.

That doesn't mean that he didn't make his share of plays. It wasn't a Rex Grossman-type debacle, just a bad game.

You stuff is generally great, but I gota disagree that is was more then Brady bad or "genuinely average QB having a below average day". That's overstating it a bit. He was bad, don't get me wrong, but an average QB's having a below average day does not lead 5 quality drives in the game. Yeah, one ended a pick (terrible decision by Brady), but still 3 ended up as TD (unlike SD) and one was meant to kill the clock.

Clearly it was his worst of the year, but an average QB, ala Kitna, Young, etc... probably barely puts up 3 on a below average day against a crappy team, let alone 21 on one of the most talented defensive teams in the league. It was a below average Brady day, that's all. Thankfully he usually follows it up with a great day the next game :D

you dudes are spoiled.
give the san diego defense at least a little smidgen of credit.

we just stomped their asses --- what are you complaining about?

you dudes are spoiled.
give the san diego defense at least a little smidgen of credit.

we just stomped their asses --- what are you complaining about?

AMEN. I don't know what the hell is wrong with these people. Tom Brady and that Offense carried us all season long. If he had an off game, so be it. He's earned a pass from me.

You're right. somehow I forgot those.

Maybe I was just shocked at Brady's. I kind of didn't expect much from Rivers. So he played better than I thought.

Maybe your short term memory is being negatively impacted by your Grateful Dead signature? Dont do drugs! ;)

Re: "Stinkeroo" ...finally !!

Frankly, I am glad that the "stinkeroo" has arrived and it didn't cost the Pats a game.

Every year it seems that Tom has a "stinkeroo" where he throws 3 or usually 4 INTs, and just is not himself. It was due and way overdue. That was a fear that I kept expecting as the season went on. Toward the end, without having had his "stinkeroo", I became even more concerned.

With that "stinkeroo" game behind him, finally, I fully expect the Pats complete their march to a Perfect Season.

Exactly. The "stinkeroo" game is defined less by results, which are usually bad, but by the throws themselves. Wild overthrows (Moss and K.Brady on the 1st series), bad pace either too strong (Welker and Stallworth) or too soft (Cromartie pick), leading receivers too much or not enough (Faulk actually caught those amazingly), etc. Add in some bad decisions and you have a forgettable night.

To Brady's credit, he didn't let the situation ruin him for the whole game. He stayed within himself and adjusted his game knowing he wasn't able to sling it like he normally does. The fact that the rest of the team (including coaches) stepped up big time also helped.

You stuff is generally great, but I gota disagree that is was more then Brady bad or "genuinely average QB having a below average day". That's overstating it a bit. He was bad, don't get me wrong, but an average QB's having a below average day does not lead 5 quality drives in the game. Yeah, one ended a pick (terrible decision by Brady), but still 3 ended up as TD (unlike SD) and one was meant to kill the clock.

Clearly it was his worst of the year, but an average QB, ala Kitna, Young, etc... probably barely puts up 3 on a below average day against a crappy team, let alone 21 on one of the most talented defensive teams in the league. It was a below average Brady day, that's all. Thankfully he usually follows it up with a great day the next game :D

Not that it's the end all of quality determinants, but go check out Brady's passer rating for the game. He threw some terrible passes. Not one of the interceptions was on a pass that should have been thrown, and Faulk bailed him out on numerous poor passes as well.

I think that one thing we are finding is that Brady's game is affected by wind a lot more than the games of lesser players. I think this is the case for 2 reasons:

1.) He's usually so good that he can make throws only he, Favre and Manning even dare to try, so when the wind affects the ball even a little bit, those difficult throws become bad ideas and he isn't used to deciding he can't make that pass.

2.) He throws many passes with touch rather than gunning every throw like a Boller, so wind affects his passes more.

Last edited:
You guys can't expected Brady to have a great game like he had with the Jaguars every time he step on the field. This is a playoffs and he's human and there is day that he won't be great. Who cares about statistic if you've won a game.?..winning is win, no matter how you..as long you find a way to win and advance to SB....that all it matter in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back