PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivals and Contenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that he wasn't fired for that reason alone, I said that if he had won a few games in the playoffs he would have not been fired no matter what the situation was. Going 14-2 and losing in the playoffs is a fireable offense if you have had problems with management, lose all of you coordinators and the organization hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade, At that point I think the Chargers were ready to move on because they felt like that they couldn't win in the playoffs with Marty at the helms. That alone is not enough but I see that as the last straw. Going 8-8 with a banged up team and still winning in the playoffs is a plus for me, it shows an ability to forget the past and move on to the task at hand. If the Chargers had been saying that they shouldn't have been in the playoffs they wouldn't have won. That comes from the coach.

You think wrong. The only person who wanted Schottenheimer gone was Smith, because of their relationship. The players and the owner wanted him to stay.

You think wrong. The only person who wanted Schottenheimer gone was Smith, because of their relationship. The players and the owner wanted him to stay.

Why would the owner give him a vote of confidence only to fire him...only if the one person who could overturn that vote demanded it. That person was Smith.

I think that you think wrong, one man got him out of the door? No, the Owner was was the one with the final say and maybe he would have rather him stay but he knew what he had to do. Did the Patriots not got rid of Lawyer Milloy? I'm pretty sure that the players wanted him to stay too but they have pretty much no say in these issues.

I think that you think wrong, one man got him out of the door? No, the Owner was was the one with the final say and maybe he would have rather him stay but he knew what he had to do. Did the Patriots not got rid of Lawyer Milloy? I'm pretty sure that the players wanted him to stay too but they have pretty much no say in these issues.

Yeah, I understand that you *think* a lot of things. Your problem, as always, is that the facts contradict what you think.

Yeah, I understand that you *think* a lot of things. Your problem, as always, is that the facts contradict what you think.

Where the Facts be?:singing:

I just want to say that guy is insane for thinking that Norv is a better coach than Shottenhiemer, and the Chargers have beat the Colts in the POs the past two years, but I don't think Turner is the reason. They just match up well with the Colts. Also, I like how that guy points out all the Charger injuries but leaves out the Colt injuries in that 2007 PO game.

Anyway Shotty gets a bad rap for PO losses, but the guy is a great coach, and a lot of those losses were nothing to do with him. Look at the Cleveland VS Denver games. John Elway and Ernest Byner had a lot to do with those two losses.

Against the Jets the Chargers missed a 40yd FG in OT that would have won the game. That wasn't Marty's fault.

The difference between winning and losing is pretty small sometimes.

On topic though, you guys are crazy for writing off the Colts. They are one of the youngest teams in the league. I read a comment earlier by one of you guys who claimed the Colts line is getting old. Yeah right. The only "old" O lineman is Saturday and he isn't old. Not to mention they already drafted his replacement.

Also, I keep seeing Pats fans say Manning is getting old. You do know Manning is just a little over a year older than Brady right? And Brady is coming back from a serious injury?

I'm just saying, don't you think it's kind of weird saying age is such a factor for Manning at 33, but not for Brady at 31, soon to be 32, coming back from a serious injury?

The Colts are one of the youngest teams in the league. Look it up. They're not going anywhere.

Do you ever read? Like I said THE OWNER has the last say and he decided to fire Marty and stick with AJ as the GM. And did you read the Bold statement in the first article, What does it say?

The OWNER made the decision, yes. The OWNER also wanted Schottenheimer to stay, but his hand was forced by what Spanos called a "dysfunctional situation". You can make up whatever reasons you want on the side, but all parties involved were extremely open in saying that Schottenheimer's firing came down to that one, simple reason. Which isn't the reason that you've tried to claim over and over again. See how that's a problem for you?

I'm just saying, don't you think it's kind of weird saying age is such a factor for Manning at 33, but not for Brady at 31, soon to be 32, coming back from a serious injury?

There are two answers to that. The first is that no, a lot of the fans here haven't figured that out. The second is that this is the forum where a "Trade Brady" thread went on for hundreds of pages and months on end, because a lot of people here would rather have had Cassel than a 31 year old Brady coming off of an injury.

Don't expect reason, logic, or common sense to rule here (or anywhere else on the internet, for that matter)

Re: the Colts, I more or less agree with you. When people talk about age, I think they're referring to the Colts' tactic of paying a select group of guys a lot of money, and filling in the rest with rookie contracts. As part of that method for building a team, the Colts will always be pretty young, especially compared to a team like the Pats, which fills in more holes with veterans (cheaply, but at above-rookie prices), and as a result spends less on the megadeals to keep star players. So when people talk about the Colts getting older, I think they're focusing pretty squarely on a couple of guys- Manning, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne, and some others. Which admittedly isn't exactly fair.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that these perspectives on their differing philosophies are as cut-and-dry as we all think they are. This offseason will go a long way towards showing if the Patriots still follow the philosophy that's attributed to them, with all of the contracts that are coming up on both sides of the line. I wouldn't be surprised if some key guys walk because we can't afford them, and I wouldn't be surprised if we pay up to keep them and have to start relying on the draft more to fill in the middle and bottom tiers of talent.

Last edited:
Im sorry I seem to think
Us, too. Now do you mind if we talk stop talking about you and your team and return to putting this conversation of rivals and contenders back into how they relate to the Patriots. Remember, this is Patsfans.com, nor Norvfans.com.. Thanks.

Us, too. Now do you mind if we talk stop talking about you and your team and return to putting this conversation of rivals and contenders back into how they relate to the Patriots. Remember, this is Patsfans.com, nor Norvfans.com.. Thanks.

No...you know how these things work...why would you bother to put this at the top of the list if you wanted it to go away?

The OWNER made the decision, yes. The OWNER also wanted Schottenheimer to stay, but his hand was forced by what Spanos called a "dysfunctional situation". You can make up whatever reasons you want on the side, but all parties involved were extremely open in saying that Schottenheimer's firing came down to that one, simple reason. Which isn't the reason that you've tried to claim over and over again. See how that's a problem for you?

I never tried to claim anything but that winning a SB or a few playoff games for that matter wouldnt do anything but help marty out. IM not saying the only reason he was fired is because of his playoff record but it certainly didnt help his cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back