PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.
dryheat44 said:
I think we're about to see the rebirth of the Dolphins as our chief rivals for the next 4-6 years.

I'm sorry, Kilowatt, that you don't have any division foes worthy of "rival" status. It must take some fun out of the game.

Well I do miss the old AFC east. In those days all the conference games were big. It just seems now that we only have a couple of games a year that we really look forward to. I remember looking weeks ahead to the Miami game every year. I hated Marino and all the attention he got from the Media. (I guess I see why you don't like all the attention Manning gets).

spacecrime said:
Well, when in doubt, consult the dictionary:

v. ri·valed, or ri·valled ri·val·ing, or ri·val·ling ri·vals or ri·vals
v. tr.
1. To attempt to equal or surpass.
2. To be the equal of; match

So given the definition of rival, by Definition #2, they are not rivals. The Colts are not the equal of the Pats.

But interestingly, by definition #1, the colts could look at the Pats as a rival because they want to attempt to equal us. But it doesn't work the other way as the Pats do not need to equal the COlts. THey are already better.

Beat the Pats when it counts, knock us out of the postseason and go on to win a SB or two. Man, then we would have a rivalry.

Until then, I just don't see it.

On the other hand, if the Pats and Colts continure to play a regular season game every year, I could see this forming a rivalry. But you gotta win some games first, preferably when it counts. (I hope you don't - I really dislike the COlts after they complained aobut the Pats "cheating" on defense and then were caught pumping noise into the RCA Dome through the loudspeakers.)

BTW, I wish to complement you on being an excellent visitor. Most visitors here are pretty rude (though when I read the Indystar board, I am kind of embarrassed for the rudeness of visiting patsfans, so I guess being an unwelcome guest is normal.) But for me, you are welcome to post here, and I apologize for my post #2 if it was ridiculing.

Thanks for the complement. I am sure we will disagree on some things in the future, but I am 43 years old and don't get much into the smack talk. I would rather talk about the game and players and such. I read the Indy Star board but rarely post anything there because of all the smack. I am looking forward to this next season and if I see a discussion that I think I can add something to I will give you my 2 Cents.

i do not dislike the Colts so much as...:

1 - Pit
2 - Den
3 - Mia
4 - Oak
5 - Bal

of course i do not like Indy at all but i respect them a lot

Go Pats !

Last edited by a moderator:
spacecrime said:
We just don't want to admit it. We are afraid that someone will find out how good the Colts are and how they have been the best team in football, and the Patriots aren't that good. We don't want to admit that we are doomed.

I've noticed you posting things like this over, and over, and over. We are doomed. I understand the sarcasm just like I understood it 500 posts ago, but can't you change it up a little? I don't mean this as a bash, but it's like every single time someone starts a half interesting thread there's you with your doom remarks.

Again, not a huge deal so don't take it as a rip, I just recall your posts from the past and you didn't always resort to this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit Indy is a rival. It's been one sided until last season, but it's a rivalry. Any other AFC team that is consistently pushing for the top of the heap is a rival of our team. Pitt, Denver, Indy, they are all normally in the hunt and we usually end up crossing paths on the road there. It makes the games more fun to me. (except that beating in the Razor last season, ouch, I hope we get some revenge from that one).

I agree. It is fun when the top teams in football meet, and especially so when we have the best team, and usually win.

Do you guys really look forward to a game with say Houston or Tenn with the same anticipation of an Indy or a Pitt game, oeven a Denver game? I don't.

In a sense, when we play weak teams, we are playing game we almost HAVE to win, and are profoundly disappointed if we don't. If we do win, it's just time to move on to the next game. But a game with the rest of the top four; those games we sometimes remember for many years, whether during the season or in the playoffs. For me, that's it all about, GREAT FOOTBALL. And, oh yeah, I want us to win more than our share.

Brownfan80 said:
I admit Indy is a rival. It's been one sided until last season, but it's a rivalry. Any other AFC team that is consistently pushing for the top of the heap is a rival of our team. Pitt, Denver, Indy, they are all normally in the hunt and we usually end up crossing paths on the road there. It makes the games more fun to me. (except that beating in the Razor last season, ouch, I hope we get some revenge from that one).

"amused contempt"

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Disdain, contempt and loathe are all good words too. ;)
obviously the dolts are pretty much consumed with patriots, and now maybe with steelers too.
IMO they ARE a better team. problem is, they can't beat us. i guess i'd be grinding my teeth too if i was in their position.
there was a strong rivalry with the denver broncos from about 1980-1995.
IMO we have a rivalry going with the oakland faiders that dates back 30 years. goes all the way back to roughing the passer. seems to me to be some personal enmity out there as well.
but i don't get the sense of anything personal between pats and dolts, or between pats and broncos. i do enjoy beating those head cases tho.

PATSNUTme said:
OK, so we have:Hate, Disdain, Dispise, Contempt, Loathe.

We will have to buy a vowel or two.

OK people, let's come up with a word that contains all of the above. It can be our own code word for the friggin Colts.:rocker:

I know some of you people ar very good at this. Put your thinking caps on.

How about Revile, Reviled, Revolting or Revulsion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes