Welcome to PatsFans.com

Riots, instability spread as food prices skyrocket

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The global denial continues.

Riots, instability spread as food prices skyrocket

(CNN) -- Riots from Haiti to Bangladesh to Egypt over the soaring costs of basic foods have brought the issue to a boiling point and catapulted it to the forefront of the world's attention, the head of an agency focused on global development said Monday.

1 of 2 "This is the world's big story," said Jeffrey Sachs, director of Columbia University's Earth Institute.

"The finance ministers were in shock, almost in panic this weekend," he said on CNN's "American Morning," in a reference to top economic officials who gathered in Washington. "There are riots all over the world in the poor countries ... and, of course, our own poor are feeling it in the United States."

<snip>...

"The contrived food vs. fuel debate has reared its ugly head once again," the Renewable Fuels Association says on its Web site, adding that "numerous statistical analyses have demonstrated that the price of oil -- not corn prices or ethanol production -- has the greatest impact on consumer food prices because it is integral to virtually every phase of food production, from processing to packaging to transportation."

Analysts agree the cost of fuel is among the reasons for the skyrocketing prices. Another major reason is rising demand, particularly in places in the midst of a population boom, such as China and India.

Also, said Sachs, "climate shocks" are damaging food supply in parts of the world. "You add it all together: Demand is soaring, supply has been cut back, food has been diverted into the gas tank. It's added up to a price explosion."

Cut back? Try "running out."

2. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's going to be lovely when it hits over here... and don't think for a second that it won't.

Most of the fugazi frankenfood is GMO anyways... so it's not even healthy for you.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

I'm just happy everyone is always so willing to listen to enviro-nazi's, and scientists all the time. [​IMG]

4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +375 / 46 / -7

#75 Jersey

Riots in Haiti, I thought Bill Clinton's excellent mastery of foriegn policy cured all ills in Haiti?

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +808 / 2 / -9

They've been having riots in Haiti every Sat Night for years, instead of killing a chicken and then dancing around the dead body they should "Eat The Chicken"

:bricks:

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If you don't listen to scientists, who would you listen to regarding the function of the natural world? A politician?... TV host?....a holy man?

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

Myself. :cool:

The point is that some people only listen to bible boppers, while others kneel at the alter of the pocket protector wearer's in the white coats. Common sense is what should rule. Here we have an instance where enviro-nazi's, and science, got people to take the food supply and make fuel out of it. Forget common sense, listen to science. Huh, what? You mean there's a problem? Wow, how shocking. Seriously, common sense should be the model.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It was also the government subsidizing the Agros, who were more than happy to take their corn and convert it to fuel. Scientists may have developed the process and said ethanol could be used as a fuel, but since when in this country, has science been able to have any effect that government and business hasn't backed up? Goddard invents the liquid fueled rocket, but he couldn't have without the military funding. Nuclear bombs and power are developed by scientists, but the military and power companies respectively make it a reality.

When you blame "scientists" for what business and governments (I know, they're the same) do, you're barking up the wrong tree. Fossil fuels need to be replaced. Only geologists could have deduced that there is a finite supply. Other scientists and engineers work out the alternative technologies but the policy-makers do the actions that make them reality.

When the only choices are bible boppers and geeks with pocket protecters, I pick the latter. The problem is that those in positions of power rarely demonstrate proper common sense.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +653 / 7 / -2

The simple point is that some people stand by either or, and they are both wrong to do so. No one is talking about nukes here. The point is simple. For example, look at those wonderful light bulbs I've got in my house. Now I'm reading how they're worse for the environment because of the mercury. I'm not picking on science, since I believe in it's abilities. All I'm saying is some people are quick to kneel at the alter of it, when in reality, they should be using common sense. How often do you here "scientists say..." and people think it's gospel (pun intended). Extremists should always be feared.

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Scintillating. A thread about global oil depletion, and you manage to get in a dig about a guy, irrelevant to the topic, who no one gives a shyt about....

What a shining example.

11. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Bill doesn't like it either.

[​IMG]

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

If you have a walking embarrassment like Bush and Cheney what are suppose to do? You have to find some way of deflecting the blame. I think thats why whenever something (bad) happens the name Clinton aka (Bill the Pinata) is evoked, The Hard rights answer when anything goes wrong.

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sometimes you have to mention history.

Like when people act as though GWB invented no bid contracts?

Other times, it's just fun to watch the lefties squirm and jump.

And sometimes it's just because...

:rocker:

14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Paul you aren't ftw, not That far to the rt.

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My, how you people do enjoy conjuring up strawman arguments. Who EVER said Boy King invented no bid contracts? Find it, present it, or do yourself the favor of not talking.

16. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Who was talking to you?

But...since you decided to play...a few days ago someone here in this very forum listed reasons to hate Bush. One of them was no bid contracts.

Therefore, as part of trying to make sure that fellow poster knew the facts, Clinton's name came up as someone who gave no bid contracts to Halliburton.

17. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think you meant that as a compliment?

:D

18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

No bid contracts have been around since before Clinton,the same goes for signing statements. The thing is the AMOUNT of no bids and signing statements Bush leads by 10 lenths as we approach the finish line.

19. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

More reason for it. During his foray into Bosnia, WJBC actually created a contract for Halliburton when they lost a bid contract.

Imagine that.

20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +223 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

I,m not going to defend pinata Bill. He did plenty off things that I thought were a little to much. Such as taking what Nixon did with executive privilage and expanding on it. But then W came along took EP and pushed it over the edge. And if you're the POTUS you would think if you were going to cheat on that screeching witch of a wife you could score with someone above the trailer trash level,or someone thats at least hot looking. But NO Bill has to go after shall we say a BIG boned 21 yr. old :confused: